Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2015, 11:20 PM   #111
Member
 
lynn brownlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 96
A valve is closed , they were patented and called a jake brake, the patent ran out and now any one can use them in a deisel engine, the turbo creates more compression due to a valve closing creating more back pressure, same way the pressure from the exhaust is boosted by a turbo to force air and fuel into the combustion chamber, so the exshalts valve is closed. A none turbo deisel engine can work by closing a exhaust valve. Diesels engine have tremendous compression compared to a gas or ringed engine. Gas engines do not have enough compression and could not use exhaust pressure to break a vehicle effectively.
__________________

__________________
lynn brownlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:04 AM   #112
Senior Member
 
davel1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Seaford, De
Posts: 2,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn brownlee View Post
Diesels engine have tremendous compression compared to a gas or ringed engine.
What is a ringed engine?
__________________

__________________
David & Lynn
2014 Coachmen Chaparral Signature 327 RLKS
2016 Ford F350 Lariat CC Dually
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:19 AM   #113
Senior Member
 
B and B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Wilmot Twp, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 8,604
I don't know, I don't own a Chevy or never will to tow with. I do know the F 150 Ecoboost in tow mode and running cruise will slow you down without touching the brakes. My 09 F 150 with 5.4 Triton in tow haul mode did not do this.

The Chevy's are made in Mexico as well.
__________________
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:27 AM   #114
Senior Member
 
davel1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Seaford, De
Posts: 2,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post

The Chevy's are made in Mexico as well.
If you think Ford is USA loyal, someone lied to you. Plenty of factories there, and more being built right now. Nothing is 100% made here. Parts and sub-assemblies come from everywhere. Just buy what you like.
__________________
David & Lynn
2014 Coachmen Chaparral Signature 327 RLKS
2016 Ford F350 Lariat CC Dually
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:20 AM   #115
Senior Member
 
CWSWine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
I don't know, I don't own a Chevy or never will to tow with. I do know the F 150 Ecoboost in tow mode and running cruise will slow you down without touching the brakes. My 09 F 150 with 5.4 Triton in tow haul mode did not do this.

The Chevy's are made in Mexico as well.
So the Ford F150 does works the same as Chevy 1500. It called Basic Cruise Control/Tow Haul Mode by other manufactures. Ford Making Up Terms Again.

You do know that Toyota has the most cars/trucks with the highest Made In American list.
__________________
2017 Fleetwood Discovery LXE 40D Diesel Pusher 41 foot. CC 5740
2017 Solitude 310GK-R Pick Up Oct 24th.
2016 GMC Denali 1 ton Cargo Capacity 3722 lbs
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:59 AM   #116
Senior Member
 
B and B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Wilmot Twp, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 8,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
So the Ford F150 does works the same as Chevy 1500. It called Basic Cruise Control/Tow Haul Mode by other manufactures. Ford Making Up Terms Again.

You do know that Toyota has the most cars/trucks with the highest Made In American list.
Hmmm Yes i did. We have a Two Toyota plants with 20 minutes of where I live. GMC Acadia and Equinox (Used to be Cami GM/Suzuki partnership) plant 30 minutes away and Ford and Honda 60 minutes. A lot of auto manufacturing here!

Back to the thread.

Doesn't matter what it is called, assists with engine braking and saves linings.
__________________
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 11:37 AM   #117
Senior Member
 
drittal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: E. MT
Posts: 483
I owned 2 EB F150 and that little 3.5 needed dynamic cruise just to hold itself back when empty.
__________________
drittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 12:07 PM   #118
Senior Member
 
Tonkatoy77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: North Plains, OR
Posts: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn brownlee View Post
A valve is closed , they were patented and called a jake brake, the patent ran out and now any one can use them in a deisel engine, the turbo creates more compression due to a valve closing creating more back pressure, same way the pressure from the exhaust is boosted by a turbo to force air and fuel into the combustion chamber, so the exshalts valve is closed. A none turbo deisel engine can work by closing a exhaust valve. Diesels engine have tremendous compression compared to a gas or ringed engine. Gas engines do not have enough compression and could not use exhaust pressure to break a vehicle effectively.

Your post doesn't make any sense. You do know there is a difference between an exhaust brake and an engine brake right?

An engine brake, which is called a Jake brake, is a solenoid on top of the exhaust valve. During the compression stroke the solenoid activates and pushes the exhaust valve open. The term "Jake" came from the manufacturer Jacobs. There are other engine brake manufacturers like Pac Brake, but Jacobs is the most popular.

An exhaust brake is a system that puts a restriction in the exhaust system. Before the variable vein turbos company's like Banks were building an exhaust brake that goes in the exhaust pipe. It was just a flap attached to an actuator. When you turned it on the flap would close, causing a restriction in exhaust flow. Same principle with a variable vein turbo. When you activate it, the veins in the turbo close, causing a restriction in the exhaust system.

I hope all this makes sense. Lol

Also, I'm not sure what you are talking about when you say a "ringed" engine? Are you saying a diesel doesn't have piston rings?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
2007 Chevy Duramax EFI Live and other supporting mods.
2015 Wildcat Maxx T26BHS


Nights camped 2015....23
Tonkatoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 12:17 PM   #119
Senior Member
 
deebarjay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: central arizona
Posts: 191
he'll only buy new

the new jacked up alum F150's with heavy tow are just about as spendy as an F250 with the 6.7.
__________________
2008 F250 6.4 diesel with 50 gal aux tank towing a 2015 Rockwood 2109s Minilite.
2015 Miles and nights
10040/31
2016 miles and nights
feb. 380/7......march 540/3
deebarjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 06:08 PM   #120
Senior Member
 
LTnTN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
I would respectfully disagree



Up and down the mountains no problem (helps that the EcoBoost has a built in engine brake )

Me too ... No issues whatsoever. I'm loaded to about 10% below max spec, and the truck just sings.


2015 Flagstaff 8528RKWS
2013 Ford F-150 Ecobeast
__________________

__________________
LTnTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
5er, truck

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:55 AM.