Old 09-19-2015, 06:58 AM   #71

Realistically, not enough information was given to determine the "level" of truck required. There is a major difference between a 30ft FW and a 37+. My parents have a 42ft, and it's only them and 2 dogs.

Certain 1/2 tons will pull certain FW's just fine. Diesels will almost always tow easier, but may be overkill in certain situations. Some people prefer overkill, while others have needs that require a smaller footprint from their tow vehicle.

Personally, unless you are just going to buy the biggest truck (any of the big 3 apply here), you should find the specific FW you want. THEN you determine what you need/want to pull it with.

If you want an Ultra-lite, maybe you look at an EcoBoost. But if you decide you want a Landmark (for example), then it's pointless to even discuss a 1/2 ton.

jnamadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 11:21 AM   #72

Scale/advertized weights are static weights on scale not moving and level. Towing heavy on with 5th wheel just watch the total weight. Going down a hill and putting on brakes or hitting the dip in pavement can increase pin weights by 30% or more. If your static weight is close to your axle weights is dangers enough but being that far over tire ratings of the 4-year-old tires that hit curb or two or maybe pothole is pushing your luck.

I towed 28 foot TT with a Chevy 1500 and it towed fine and within all specs. Wanted to upgraded to heaver 5er and still maintain a level of safety my family deserves so I upgraded my truck. I would never put my family safety in the hands of manufacture-advertized weights, I will always verify towing weights at the Cat Scale and you might be surprised how far off the advertized weights are.
Between my truck and 5er the advertized weights were close to 900lbs heaver.

Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 12:17 PM   #73

Adding more to my last post here is using manufacture numbers compared to real life numbers. .
My 2015 Ford F350 Cargo Capacity according to the website is 4,000 lbs. My primetime 315RST had dry pin weight of 1945 and 10,000lbs dry weight. That left me with 2065 of advertized Cargo Capacity left over and 5,900 tow capacity. Put it on the Cat scale with wife and me and loaded to go camping I’m have 540 lbs I can load without exceeding the trucks cargo capacity. I only added 1380 lbs of cargo to the 5er and the 5er weight is 11,380lbs.

Here is link to my numbers and can post the Cat Scale tickets also.
Actual Weights - Fifth Wheel Weights from CAT Scales - Towing Planner
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 12:53 PM   #74

The combo I have has been CAT scaled and I am within all ratings. My payload is 2177. I've over 15000 towing miles including through Virginia and West Virginia and it has performed above my expectations. I know someone will say it "ya but can you stop it". Yes I can. I was forced to perform a panic stop from highway speed when some meathead slammed into the guardrail and I stopped without issue and in a straight line. It can be done and done within ratings and safely, but MOST trucks in this category will not have the payload to handle a 5'r. Do your research and buy the right truck.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:10 PM   #75

I have a Rockwood Ultralite fifth wheel, only about 9000lb fully loaded, but the bigger problem is the hitch weight. I made the mistake of buying a new F150 which I later had to switch out for an F250, because the pin weight of our fifth wheel is close to 1500lb, and the payload capacity of the F150 crewcab, even with the tow package was only 1633lb, not enough to handle the pin weight plus 4 people.
The only F150 crew cab with enough weight capacity, would be the longer wheelbase with Heavy Duty payload package. (and there were none available in the whole of the southeast at the time)
No half-ton truck can handle anything but an Ultralite fifth wheel, and even then be sure to check payload capacity carefully (only trust the sticker on the door jam), and calculate for pin weight, passengers, fuel, etc.
Thankfully my dealer was super helpful in canceling the truck purchase and letting me switch to the F250 without losing out
Old 09-20-2015, 09:20 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefl View Post
No half-ton truck can handle anything but an Ultralite fifth wheel, and even then be sure to check payload capacity carefully (only trust the sticker on the door jam), and calculate for pin weight, passengers, fuel, etc.
I respectfully have to disagree. My fifth wheel is most definitely not an ultralite (dry weight 8777). I am within ALL ratings. You simply bought a lot truck and ended up with a truck with a VERY small payload. Case in point, the payload in my truck is almost 550 lbs higher than the one you bought. Then again I ordered my truck and every option I wanted and waited 3 months for it. No lot truck in my area came close to the payload.

I do agree that most 1/2 tonne won't be able to handle that weight, but a blanket statement like "no" is false.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
Old 09-20-2015, 09:22 PM   #77

Damn... my truck is a 3/4t ram with 10,000 GVW. Over 3100# payload. With my W&P camper, wife, kids, etc... weight on my axles was 9200#.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:45 PM   #78

Look also at yellow tire pressure door sticker to see truck load capacity. The Ram was low. Add hitch, adults and pin weight and see how it works when compared. Also note tire sizes. Safe is more relaxing. Chevy 2500 5er 32' one slide.
2414 Blue Ridge Drive
Greenwood, In 46143
darhike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 11:16 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_newfie View Post
I respectfully have to disagree. My fifth wheel is most definitely not an ultralite (dry weight 8777). I am within ALL ratings. You simply bought a lot truck and ended up with a truck with a VERY small payload. Case in point, the payload in my truck is almost 550 lbs higher than the one you bought. Then again I ordered my truck and every option I wanted and waited 3 months for it. No lot truck in my area came close to the payload.

I do agree that most 1/2 tonne won't be able to handle that weight, but a blanket statement like "no" is false.
Fair enough, I probably should have said 'very few'. (unfortunately it won't let me correct my original post)
I'm guessing your truck has the HD payload package

Part of my issue was definitely timing. I wanted the F150 eco, but Ford had stopped taking custom orders for the 2015's, and hadn't yet opened the books on the 2016's, so it would've been a 5 month wait to get the F-150 with 6.5ft bed, HD payload package, and the supercrew cab, and I couldn't afford to wait that long

Glad you managed to get something that worked for you
I must admit that I'm slightly envious of you having the nicer ride, and sportier performance, of the F150 ecoboost. but I guess with plenty of capacity to spare we could switch to a bigger fifth-wheel in future
(I have read however that Ford are considering putting their new 4.2L ecoboost both in the 2017 F-150 raptor, and possibly in the 2017 F-250's, which might persuade me to trade in, in a year or so)

The towing capacity doesn't seem to be an issue for many, just the payload, especially with a crew-cab (a necessity for me).

I'd also comment that with < 9000lb dry weight you're not much above most ultra-lite's (mine's 7948 lb) and your dry pin weight (1278 lb) is actually quite a bit less than mine (1428lb). I also noticed that your fifth wheel is bonded aluminum frame, which helps keep the weight down, like most ultra-lites, so while the Crusader's aren't classed as ultralite's they're a lot lighter than say a 10K+ lb Cedar Creek or similar
Old 09-21-2015, 12:02 PM   #80

leefl, very well put. I didn't mean to come off all confrontational, but in re-reading my post I did..

My truck is a supercrew (my previous truck was a shortbox supercrew and I'd never own another). I need the LB and Supercrew. It has BOTH the HD Payload and Max Tow.

Ironically I was in a similar position and got my order in just before Ford closed on the 2012 production run (I had done over a year of research and pulled the trigger at pre-determined date).

You are quite correct that my pin weight is less than yours and that is no accident either. A LOT of background went into the combo that I have. It was all pre-planned and it has worked out very well. Most though don't do anywhere near the amount of legwork we did. The end result is a combo that doesn't work.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD

Tags
5er, truck