Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2021, 11:26 PM   #321
Site Team

You must missed the most important number, the truck's driver door silver sticker payload capacity number.
It should be on the same silver sticker where you found the FAWR and RAWR numbers.
It is mentioned many times in this thread.
The only better way to get that number, is to weigh the empty truck on a scale and subtract that from the truck's GVWR.
Also, 13% of the TT's GVWR will mean a loaded ballpark tongue weight of 780lbs, which is over the Canyon's max hitch weight.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:32 PM   #322

On many tow vehicles, you run out of payload before you run out of tow weight. A lot of people new to towing to not realize this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
You must missed the most important number, the truck's driver door silver sticker payload capacity number.
It should be on the same silver sticker where you found the FAWR and RAWR numbers.
It is mentioned many times in this thread.
The only better way to get that number, is to weigh the empty truck on a scale and subtract that from the truck's GVWR.
Also, 13% of the TT's GVWR will mean a loaded ballpark tongue weight of 780lbs, which is over the Canyon's max hitch weight.
Old 02-13-2021, 11:15 AM   #323

And don't let the R.V. sales person be your counselor either. Thrre are many good articles right here on the forum to help make sound decisions!
Rennzfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 01:43 PM   #324

Be careful with the manufacturer's tow guides. The 2021 Ford RV & Trailer Towing Guide says on page 44:

"For conventional trailers over 2,000 lbs., tongue load is 10% of loaded trailer weight."

So if I only used the manufacturers tow guide, I could be underestimating my tongue weight pretty severely.

Seems pretty irresponsible of Ford to publish that. Or is it because they know they have wiggle room in that payload amount and can say that you can use 10% and be okay? :shrug

I know I'm personally using GVWR and between 13-15% to calculate my tongue weight.
Paerrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 01:48 AM   #325

So Can I Tow This With My E-Bike?

2020 Nissan Armada
gerald98053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 04:20 AM   #326

Good gouge, but still have questions

Red.Jimbo,
I have been through the 2012 F-250 numerous times and still cannot make heads or tails of the numbers.

I see that I have a front GAWR of 5200 lbs
a rear GVWR of 6100 lbs
GVWR of 10000lbs

Tha camper I am looking at is a Sandpiper 3660MB with an unloaded weight of 11763 and a GVWR 14,659

THe Ford guide shows that 5th wheel towing is 24,500lbs and the spreadsheet further down the page shows 5th wheel max trailer towing weight 1s 15,200 lbs.

Also I see a lot of mention of the term "pin weight" and nowhere on what that is or how to calculate it.

I'm not wanting to spend 50K on a 5th wheel only to find that the 250 struggles to pull it or worse, I'm putting anyone in danger.

Just looking for some assistance so I don't buy the wrong rig. I got the "that truck will pull anything on the lot" comment from at least two RV dealers...

Thanks for reading and for any assistance.

Best,
Chris
BaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 10:14 AM   #327

People bop along with their current vehicle often an SUV. Then they get the idea, "Hey let's get an RV. What is the biggest thing we can tow?" That is when the trouble starts.

If you want to tow, get a good tow vehicle.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 09:29 PM   #328

Jim,

Thanks that was helpful, Pulled out the truck manual and figured out what the weights are, I need to learn the trailer some more and when we take delivery learn how the weight gets balanced with water in the tanks and such..
fchidsey0144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 05:10 PM   #329

we just bought a Surveyor Legend 19BHLE. I am towing it (for now) with a 2016 Ram 1500 V6 Crew Cab that we bought long before we had the idea to buy a TT. as this thread has pointed out several times, pay attention to payload.

from the factory information for this vehicle the payload is listed as 1640 lb. this is the note at the bottom of the table. do you think this means that the payload is 1640 lb on top of 300 lb passenger weight?

"Payload = GVWR – Base Weight. Trailer Weight Rating and Tow Vehicle Trailering Weight are calculated as specified in SAE J2807. Passenger Weight = 300 lb."

on the 100-mile trip home from the dealer, the trailer was very steady behind the truck, so it seems that the Blue Ox system is doing its job. however, the mpg while towing at 60mph was about 50% of "normal"--11 vs 20.

thanks

Ken

ps: link to the full document
https://www.ramtruck.ca/en_dir/pdf/2...tions/1500.pdf
faithie999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 01:56 AM   #330
Camping the Natural State

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithie999 View Post
we just bought a Surveyor Legend 19BHLE. I am towing it (for now) with a 2016 Ram 1500 V6 Crew Cab that we bought long before we had the idea to buy a TT. as this thread has pointed out several times, pay attention to payload.

from the factory information for this vehicle the payload is listed as 1640 lb. this is the note at the bottom of the table. do you think this means that the payload is 1640 lb on top of 300 lb passenger weight?

"Payload = GVWR – Base Weight. Trailer Weight Rating and Tow Vehicle Trailering Weight are calculated as specified in SAE J2807. Passenger Weight = 300 lb."

on the 100-mile trip home from the dealer, the trailer was very steady behind the truck, so it seems that the Blue Ox system is doing its job. however, the mpg while towing at 60mph was about 50% of "normal"--11 vs 20.

thanks

Ken

ps: link to the full document
https://www.ramtruck.ca/en_dir/pdf/2...tions/1500.pdf
The payload is not including the driver and a full tank of gas.
The MPG you get towing is normal.
Old 06-03-2021, 04:46 AM   #331

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARhappycamper View Post
Thanks!

Ken
faithie999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 04:56 AM   #332
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARhappycamper View Post
Payload capacity DOES include a full fuel tank but not the driver. Driver is considered as an Occupant and their weight goes against Payload capacity.
Towing capacity also includes full fuel tank and usually a 150lb driver.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 06-19-2021, 11:48 AM   #333

We have a 2018 Ford Flex that has the Class 111 towing package. We are looking at a TT that has a dry weight of 3400. The tow weight We believe we can pull is 4500. Do you think this is accurate. There are so many confusing things out there.
jojorusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 01:24 PM   #334
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojorusso View Post
We have a 2018 Ford Flex that has the Class 111 towing package. We are looking at a TT that has a dry weight of 3400. The tow weight We believe we can pull is 4500. Do you think this is accurate. There are so many confusing things out there.
There are a number of factors you need to figure out.
First, give us the make and model number of trailer you're looking at.
Second, what is your car's payload capacity? Look for the yellow Tires and Loading sticker on the driver's door. It'll say "Occupants and cargo should not exceed xxxxlbs". Post that number.
Third, what would be the estimated weights of everyone in the car(including the driver)and expected car cargo.
Old 06-19-2021, 04:03 PM   #335

towing capacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
There are a number of factors you need to figure out.
First, give us the make and model number of trailer you're looking at.
Second, what is your car's payload capacity? Look for the yellow Tires and Loading sticker on the driver's door. It'll say "Occupants and cargo should not exceed xxxxlbs". Post that number.
Third, what would be the estimated weights of everyone in the car(including the driver)and expected car cargo.
Forest River Salem FSX, 167RBKl weight of trailer is +3400

Ford Flex: info on door 1160lbs - but it has the class III towing package; husband and I around 400#; bikes around 60# and then we would figure it out from there

Thanks for your help.
jojorusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 12:02 AM   #336
Site Team

Quote:
Forest River Salem FSX, 167RBKl weight of trailer is +3400

Ford Flex: info on door 1160lbs - but it has the class III towing package; husband and I around 400#; bikes around 60# and then we would figure it out from there

Thanks for your help.
Well, the GVWR is 3850lbs. 13% of that number, gives you a ballpark loaded tongue weight of 500lbs.
Add your 460lbs and 100lbs for the WDH, it leaves you only 100lbs of payload left for the car.
You'll be right at the payload limit of the Flex.

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/trave...sx/167RBK/4576
Old 06-21-2021, 09:40 PM   #337
Open Space Wanted

So Far So Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
People bop along with their current vehicle often an SUV. Then they get the idea, "Hey let's get an RV. What is the biggest thing we can tow?" That is when the trouble starts.

If you want to tow, get a good tow vehicle.
Yup, seems to have worked fine for over 1,500 miles so far. Not once has a truck or anything else blown me off route. Various thunderstorms haven't affected my driving ability. Appalachian uphill grades haven't slowed the HEMI down and no fiddling needed on brake controller. Even tested the ratings on my trailer's tires to their maximum.

If only my backing up skills were better.
RedRoverComeOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 12:20 PM   #338

Quote:
First, Ignore Dry Weight. Never use it unless you are a transporter. Look at the most the trailer can weigh to determine if you have capacity. Check GVWR on the trailer, multiply by 13%, that gives you an idea of what to expect for the most tongue weight and go from there.

The Flex is rated @ 4500 pounds, but rated at 10% TW. I have towed a 7500 GVWR horse trailer that weighs in at ~3500 with what I was carrying, no horses, that would be suicide. It handled OK, with a WDH, but is not really meant to tow that kind of weight. It can tow, but it is based on a FWD car, and not really made to be a tow vehicle for travel trailers. I had two Flex and loved them, both AWD Ecoboosted, but towing something other than a small cargo trailer or flatbed is just not in their wheelhouse.
Old 07-12-2021, 04:49 PM   #339

Quote:
"You need a truck" is like Godwin's law on RV forum threads about TVs. Perhaps this will reassure you.

Look at the many different single axle ultra light TT options like Wolf Pup 16BHS/FQ/... Many should be well within your TV towing specs, but make sure your TV specs are accurate as they can vary by trim and engine. Get a good WD hitch that's not rated too high (e.g. E2 Fastway 4,500lbs/450lbs or similar), the bars need to flex enough especially on a unibody car. Never drive faster than 65mph even in perfect conditions and you should be perfectly fine.

Safe travels!
FredMP is offline   Reply With Quote