Old 01-28-2018, 12:43 PM   #291

I just purchased a Ram 3500 and had the same question. Determined that some dealerships have this awesome software that I think they subscribe to (non-RAM . . . expensive and many dealerships don't subscribe because of the expense . . . I found the larger commercial dealerships do). Not sure if GM, Ford, etc. subscribe either. In any event, they first input the actual Vin of the truck you're about to buy then your trailer GVWR, tongue weight, your estimates of weights of folks, dogs, and contents. And the software returns a whole pile of stats including how much you have to spare on the infamous 26,001 GCWR. Awesome stuff and accurate to the very vehicle you're buying. I don't know how far back you can go, if buying used.

Old 02-15-2018, 08:30 AM   #292

Towing with f-150

Just want to thank eveybody for all the information. I have learned a lot even though I have pulled tt's for a few yrs. I have a 2017 F150 6 cyl. Eco Boost that I have been pulling a 24ft (with tongue) tt 4,000 dry. I can't say I didn't know it was back there but it was easy. I'm looking at getting the Wildwood 27 RKSS or something similar. I need a recliner. Hitch wgt is 720 lbs. My cc is 1944 lbs. I believe I can stay within this limit loaded. I am 78 yrs old and am not going to go down the road wide open. I'll wait until I'm 90 then I'll go down I-75 weaving side to side at about 90 mph. yelling get out of my way you idiots!

H-Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 12:21 PM   #293

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Allen View Post
Just want to thank eveybody for all the information. I have learned a lot even though I have pulled tt's for a few yrs. I have a 2017 F150 6 cyl. Eco Boost that I have been pulling a 24ft (with tongue) tt 4,000 dry. I can't say I didn't know it was back there but it was easy. I'm looking at getting the Wildwood 27 RKSS or something similar. I need a recliner. Hitch wgt is 720 lbs. My cc is 1944 lbs. I believe I can stay within this limit loaded. I am 78 yrs old and am not going to go down the road wide open. I'll wait until I'm 90 then I'll go down I-75 weaving side to side at about 90 mph. yelling get out of my way you idiots!
You haven't quite learned everything yet, apparently. You're still using dry weights. Scrub the word "dry" from your vocabulary.

And that 720 lb hitch weight you quote I suspect is "dry" (I assume you got it off the manufacturers specs, which can only give you "dry" hitch weight.) It will never weigh that. Guaranteed.

And don't forget to add the weight of the WDH.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:30 AM   #294

I strongly agree with you, great write-up. It's as simple as obtaining the tow vehicle's max towing and the trailer's weight and not going over about 80% of the tow vehicle's maximums.

We have a 2017 Ram 2500 with the 6.7 cummins and it says it has a 17,250 lb towing capacity, 2632lb payload capacity. I know from previous experience that having a trailer or fifth-wheel that is at those maximums is not a good thing, those are marketing numbers. I'd stay at or below 75% of those numbers.
CA2FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 02:49 PM   #295

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Allen View Post
Please give me advance warning on when you're going to make that drive. I want to be somewhere else, like Iowa or Kansas.
Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2018 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 11:05 AM   #296

Towing capacity for F150

my husband and I purchased a 6.5’ bed 2018 F150 5.0 V8 with the towing package. Then we went shopping for our TT. While shopping an RV show, talking to lots of dealers EVERYONE said the truck would pull any of the TT’s we might want. We ended up with a 2018 Flagstaff Micro-lite 25bh which we absolutely love. The TT is lightweight (not sure what the weight is fully loaded) but we tried to stay around 5000 lbs dry. We did get sway bars added because he could feel the “push” from semi’s when they come up beside us. We do well with it now but still feel some bouncing and the push. I have found and done some studying of the attached brochure https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources...e_r8_May15.pdf
from Ford regarding towing capacity. While this states that we could have gone much heavier I’m glad we didn’t listen to all of the “experts” telling us to go bigger. We got what works best for us - plenty of space, we’ll equipped, and not too heavy!
Carolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 01:21 PM   #297
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolem View Post
my husband and I purchased a 6.5’ bed 2018 F150 5.0 V8 with the towing package. Then we went shopping for our TT. While shopping an RV show, talking to lots of dealers EVERYONE said the truck would pull any of the TT’s we might want. We ended up with a 2018 Flagstaff Micro-lite 25bh which we absolutely love. The TT is lightweight (not sure what the weight is fully loaded) but we tried to stay around 5000 lbs dry. We did get sway bars added because he could feel the “push” from semi’s when they come up beside us. We do well with it now but still feel some bouncing and the push. I have found and done some studying of the attached brochure https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources...e_r8_May15.pdf
from Ford regarding towing capacity. While this states that we could have gone much heavier I’m glad we didn’t listen to all of the “experts” telling us to go bigger. We got what works best for us - plenty of space, we’ll equipped, and not too heavy!
Carolem, when you say "sway bars", do you mean a WDH or just the friction sway bars?
Because you NEED a WDH and sway control, not just sway bars.Probably a big reason you're still having issues.
Also towing capacity numbers aren't the only number that'simportant for towing.
PAYLOAD capacity is just as important, if not more since you'll always run out of payload capacity before towing capacity.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 03:01 PM   #298

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Carolem, when you say "sway bars", do you mean a WDH or just the friction sway bars?
Because you NEED a WDH and sway control, not just sway bars.Probably a big reason you're still having issues.
Also towing capacity numbers aren't the only number that'simportant for towing.
PAYLOAD capacity is just as important, if not more since you'll always run out of payload capacity before towing capacity.
Well said!

mzodarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:33 AM   #299

3rd truck...

like so many previous notes, we were told "yeah, you can pull that". Ridgeline could actually pull the first one, Just not well. so F150 3.5 ecoboost do the job - very well.

Then next trailer (still a TT) and we were told: "yeah it will work". It did - just not well.
Bad enough to the point that during one mid range trip the stress caused me to get a shingles outbreak (even though I got the shot 4 years earlier)
As soon as we got back i went truck shopping.
Now we have an F350 diesel.
Plus i am seriously considering a 5th wheel. Will it work? (he says slyly)
They are actually advertising some of the 5th wheels as 1/2 ton pull-able.
I was very suspicious of that claim, but my 1 ton - i am not worried (yet)
flashcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:39 PM   #300

This rig pulled in next to us two days ago while we were out sight seeing. They were gone early the next morning and I didn't get a chance to talk to them. F-150 Lariat, looked like it might have the HDPP on it. Poor picture cuz it was getting dark.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	half ton 5ver.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	179147  

Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2018 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote