Old 05-17-2014, 05:27 PM   #31
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Changingears.com they (DO) know what they are talking about,read their info,all of it ,it is very helpful for towing and setup! Youroo!!

X-2... I always say do the math yourself and be informed. Changingears.com always recommended.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:15 PM   #32

Maron..

Reading your post about the Tundra milage.. Less than 3MPG? Really? I have a 2004 Tundra 4.7 ltr towing a 2014 Tracer.. And get right at 10MPG at 55 MPH.. A little background.. We purchased the TT in Nov/13, our first trip was Houston > OKC and back over Thanksgiving. I almost had heart failure at the first fill up. 5.9 MPG.. Never got better the entire trip. We had several things wrong with the TT after the first trip, so I towed it to the dealer. One of the techs heard the brakes a squeaking when I pulled in. He mentioned it to him, and asked him to adjust the brakes. The next day the shop manager called and told me that the adjuster on one if the trailer brakes had come apart and tumbled inside the drum. Warranty covered all parts (drum, shoes, and adjuster). I realized that I must have had a brake dragging the entire trip.

You might want to get your trailer brakes checked, good luck.

Keith

Traveling with 3 German Shepherds, Carly, age 4, 85 lbs. Bo-Bo, age 14 months, 120 lbs.
Gypsy Rose, age 14 months, 75 lbs.
JK Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:29 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by red.jimbo View Post
I live in Colorado, and by my estimation Colorado is second only to Michigan for automobile testing. The auto manufacturers love to bring their camouflaged test vehicles up to the I-70 corridor for high-altitude grade-A Rocky-Mountain road testing.
When they bring their next-generation tow vehicles here for testing, they hitch them to a contraption that looks a-lot like a flat-bed trailer full of iron weights and a solid wall at the front of the trailer to simulate wind drag. Then they parade these vehicles up and down the 6-7% grades of I-70 stopping only to buy gas, and fuel the drivers up on fast-food and gas-station fare. They go to all this trouble, because they want to know the question to a very important question before they give the answer to us, “Is it safe to tow with this vehicle?”
They then take their data back to where ever they came from and use it as a basis to publish their towing guide.

I live in CO and have seen the exact contraption you speak of!
TT 2014 Rockwood Roo 183
TV 2012 Nissan Armada
EricInColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:32 PM   #34
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK Evans View Post
Maron..

Reading your post about the Tundra milage.. Less than 3MPG?...
Keith

You mis-read the post. #2 was 8mpg.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:33 PM   #35

Yes I did, my apologies..

Keith
Traveling with 3 German Shepherds, Carly, age 4, 85 lbs. Bo-Bo, age 14 months, 120 lbs.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:32 PM   #36
Maron

Send a message via Yahoo to Maron
That "oldcoote" May be old...but he is still pretty sharp. Yeah Mr. Evans, there was a point 1 and a point 2. Next time I will try to be more clear. If it was only getting 2.8...I'd take it back to the dealer.
Your comment about inspecting the brakes is a good one. But this was the maiden voyage of the brand new 2014 TT so unlikely to be the brakes.
I did see a 33% increase in mpg when I shut off the tow button. And in a way the 8.2 I guess wasn't that bad because I consistently ran around 65 mph. I monitored the on board computer mpg numbers at 70, 65, 60 and 55 and was surprised at the variances.
The Tundra is a great personal vehicle with excellent comfort levels but Toyota has to increase the size of the tanks and if the ads on the Rams and other truck manufacturers is correct...they need to work on the mpg performance.
On the other side of the equation...I had to tow the 7800 lb TT out of an unlevel field in about 18" of blowing snow with big drifts. The truck was on a 1' snowy path. I put it in 4 wheel drive...said a quick prayer and touched the gas pedal. Within 2' I wanted to get out and applaud. No contest! So I love the truck...I'm not crazy about stopping every 3 hours for gas.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:42 PM   #37
Maron

Well since you guys have me writing...Eric...the trip back from Arizona, we went over, around and through i70 7% grades. Our TT is 35' long and it was loaded. I did not enjoy the scenery. The Tundra did great...passing 18 wheelers going up hill, crossing the divide at over 11,300? And getting blown out of the way by the 18 wheelers coming down the other side. Both directions I down shifted cuz I don't like going down hill with 8000 lbs strapped to my a--.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:23 AM   #38

Yes, Old Cout is pretty sharp. Once again, my apologies for reading it wrong. I agree on all your points about the Tundra.. They are fabulous trucks. Mine is a 2004 4.7 Liter 2WD pulling 6800 lb trailer.. I'm right at the tow limit, therefore I limit mine to 55 MPH. It was the maiden shake down trip that we had the dragging brake. Hope to see you on the road, you will know me when you see the 3 German Shepherds hanging out the windows. Happy Trails..
Old 05-24-2014, 09:55 AM   #39
Maron

Thanks for the come back Keith. I bought a 2013 limited model demo loaded for towing. I was pretty nervous about towing so I wanted everything and got it with the 4x4, oversized battery, cooling for transmission and more. Even with all that I had white knuckles for the first 100 miles.
We are pulling a 35' Rockwood 8329 that, according to the truck scales in some State we just went through is .8400 lbs.
Hope to see you one day if you promise your German Shepards won't eat my 11 lb Papillion.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:57 AM   #40
Maron

Oldcoot, is that a 55 or 56 Chevy? You are standing where I can't see the tail lights.