Old 01-21-2016, 06:53 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdjourney View Post
So I know my truck will pull it but I am going to be new to fifth wheels and what kind of hitch will I need? 2002 GMC Sierra 2500 hd diesel crew cab
There are quite a few hitch options to select from as you probably already know. Each owner has a personal reason for their purchase however pocketbook will sometimes limit higher quality hitches. I suggest looking for a hitch thread on this forum and see what they say. My signature shows an Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch and I like it a lot. It's very quiet, easy to get in/out of the truck and at 24K load with 4500 lb. hitch weight it fits my needs perfectly.

Slider hitches or swinging trailer king pin tongues are highly recommended for standard (6.5' or less) beds. You will see that sliders are not needed for trucks with an 8' bed.

Please check my post Duramax weights appear wrong. It's important you know your weighs before shopping for any TT. If your truck cannot carry the weight why look at trailer floor plans with weight over that limit?

SOAPBOX: Never overload any TV weight limits. Certified labels are in every vehicle with max weights specific for each vehicle. They are unique and there for a reason.

16 Silverado 3500 HD 6.6 Duramax 4X4
(Still looking for newer FR 5er)
Ultimate Aluminum 5th Wheel Hitch, TST tire monitors
Semi-Retired February 3, 2014
Bob & Cindy
Lvn2tvl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:52 PM   #52

First I will admit I did not read every post here...but I did read most.
So ...I am sorry if what I say has already been posted.

Getting a suitable truck to 'pull' your RV is of great concern.
However, IMO, having the ability to provide the required 'stopping power'
is of a greater importance.

Just like the ads you see when Truck Manufactures show off their trucks pulling a 'massively loaded flatbed'...but can it 'stop it' ?

Just my 2 cents

Islander

Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:58 PM   #53
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander View Post
First I will admit I did not read every post here...but I did read most. So ...I am sorry if what I say has already been posted. Getting a suitable truck to 'pull' your RV is of great concern.
However, IMO, having the ability to provide the required 'stopping power'
is of a greater importance. Just like the ads you see when Truck Manufactures show off their trucks pulling a 'massively loaded flatbed'...but can it 'stop it'?Just my 2 cents. Islander
That's why they put brakes on the trailer. The trailer also has to be able to stop itself, hence, the "break away switch".
Old 01-21-2016, 08:39 PM   #54
Maron

Send a message via Yahoo to Maron
4 wheel drive in the south? Absolutely! On our drive down from Chicago to Phoenix we had to stop at MD Anderson in Houston. We came down through Vicksburg to tour Civil War battle fields and then down into Louisana and across I 10.
One early evening we pulled into the "Cajun RV" Park in Louisanna and should have turned around but were to tired.
In most areas there was 3" of mud. We had problems finding a dry spot for the dogs to pee.
Towing a 7300 lb trailer with everything in it we could stuff, I doubt we could have gotten out of there the next morning with a 2 wheel drive. The 4x4 didn't spin a tire.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:45 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
That's why they put brakes on the trailer. The trailer also has to be able to stop itself, hence, the "break away switch".
Gee....OldCoot..... you smart feller.

My point was "if" you have too light of a truck that will pull more than it was designed for...doesn't make it right.
Having a tow vehicle that is comfortable and stable pulling an rv down the road... having a substantial safety margin (in the weight margins) ...where you don't have to grip the steering wheel with all your might when a semi passes....
"and"...have the ability to stop the trailer should the trailer brakes not be totally operating at 100%...or should they stop working for some reason...
that is what I should have also put in my post. (sorry)

red.jimbo.... Good Post...yes, it should be stuck.

Islander
Old 01-22-2016, 11:03 AM   #56

Thanks for sticking this post. It will be nice to refer to a post that is already discussing this topic.

16 Silverado 3500 HD 6.6 Duramax 4X4
(Still looking for newer FR 5er)
Ultimate Aluminum 5th Wheel Hitch, TST tire monitors
Semi-Retired February 3, 2014
Bob & Cindy
Lvn2tvl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:08 AM   #57

I actually did have the brakes go out on my 5er on a trip a few years ago. The brake controller died. I pulled that 5er all the way from the Oregon coast back to Montana with just the truck brakes. Ordered and installed a new controller when I got home. No big deal but it is an 8500 pound 5er and an F250. I was technically over the payload lawyer sticker. Glad my truck had enough brakes to do the job for both.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:06 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtelkman View Post
I actually did have the brakes go out on my 5er on a trip a few years ago. The brake controller died. I pulled that 5er all the way from the Oregon coast back to Montana with just the truck brakes. Ordered and installed a new controller when I got home. No big deal but it is an 8500 pound 5er and an F250. I was technically over the payload lawyer sticker. Glad my truck had enough brakes to do the job for both.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
There ya go...
That's what I'm talking about.

Thanks 'Mtelkman'

Islander
Old 01-24-2016, 11:08 AM   #59

Had a China bomb take the brake wires out on a trip right at the beginning of the trip, 40 miles from home. Put on spare, did not see missing wires, (in a hurry to change tire, passenger side, lots of trucks screaming by) felt lack of trailer brakes going down pass, no problem with the F250, lots of braking. Would not have wanted that to happen in our previous TV and Expedition. Rewired at that nights stop and on with the trip (with a new China bomb that I got 2 years out of).
Dwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 04:32 PM   #60

Hi everyone,we bought a 2015 flagstaff superlite 27rlws travel trailer in July. I pull it with my Ford 2014 f150 4 wheel drive super crewcab with 3.5 ecoboost with factory tow package and weight distribution hitch. I have had several people say I do not have enough truck for the trailer but it does fine here in Kansas and Missouri. The dryweight on the tt is 6443 lb and when I did the math seemed like I was fine. Did I screw up somehow? All comments welcome hehe.