Old 08-05-2019, 08:27 PM   #1

A Little More Advice Please

Hello fellow campers, first i would like to say thanks to all who contribute here and that I have learned alot from being on this site. I spent the winter educating myself on all of the acronyms in relation to tow vehicle and travel trailer weights/ratings and capacities. We bought a brand new 2019 Coachmen Northern Spirit(I think just known as a Spirit in the US) 2454bh. I went on a mission with all my new found knowledge this past spring to weigh my trailer to know exactly what im pulling around. By brother in law is a trucker and said i could use the scales at the companyís yard which isnít far from where I live, this was very handy as we went on a Sunday when there wasnít anybody working and was able to take my time and take the trailer on and off for several measurements without holding anybody up. This scale is large enough to fit my whole truck on but not long enough to fit truck and trailer at the same time, i figured it wasnít a big deal and nothing a little math couldnít take care of. So i used a chart for my information that someone posted on here a while back ( I donít remember who or i would give credit) i modified that chart to suit my needs. I took my truck and trailer loaded as if i were ready to camp, our trailer contents donít change much from one trip to the next so its weights should stay the same for the most part, this is what i came up with....
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3104.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	312.6 KB
ID:	211643

I think I have everything set up pretty good, I realize i am very close to the payload limits of my tow vehicle. My main question in regard to my setup is the 170# lost from the front axle when my trailer is hooked up. Is that about normal? I am using a Blue Ox WDH with 1000# bars. My other question is my tow vehicle weight goes up 870lbs( tongue weight)after i hook up trailer but my rear axle weight goes from 2570lbs to 3610lbs( an increase of 1040lbs)how does that work? All measurements are taken with the WDH engaged. Thanks in advance for any input

Grez007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:46 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grez007 View Post
Hello fellow campers, first i would like to say thanks to all who contribute here and that I have learned alot from being on this site. I spent the winter educating myself on all of the acronyms in relation to tow vehicle and travel trailer weights/ratings and capacities. We bought a brand new 2019 Coachmen Northern Spirit(I think just known as a Spirit in the US) 2454bh. I went on a mission with all my new found knowledge this past spring to weigh my trailer to know exactly what im pulling around. By brother in law is a trucker and said i could use the scales at the companyís yard which isnít far from where I live, this was very handy as we went on a Sunday when there wasnít anybody working and was able to take my time and take the trailer on and off for several measurements without holding anybody up. This scale is large enough to fit my whole truck on but not long enough to fit truck and trailer at the same time, i figured it wasnít a big deal and nothing a little math couldnít take care of. So i used a chart for my information that someone posted on here a while back ( I donít remember who or i would give credit) i modified that chart to suit my needs. I took my truck and trailer loaded as if i were ready to camp, our trailer contents donít change much from one trip to the next so its weights should stay the same for the most part, this is what i came up with....
Attachment 211643

I think I have everything set up pretty good, I realize i am very close to the payload limits of my tow vehicle. My main question in regard to my setup is the 170# lost from the front axle when my trailer is hooked up. Is that about normal? I am using a Blue Ox WDH with 1000# bars. My other question is my tow vehicle weight goes up 870lbs( tongue weight)after i hook up trailer but my rear axle weight goes from 2570lbs to 3610lbs( an increase of 1040lbs)how does that work? All measurements are taken with the WDH engaged. Thanks in advance for any input
The trailer is loading the axle and lifting the front. That lighter front weight has to go somewhere, so it will show up on the rear axle. I couldn't read your chart but it appears you should transfer more weight to the front to get the axle weight closer to the unloaded weight. You will see more weight added to the front, rear axle weight reduce, and your trailer axles will increase some. Finally your Tw should actually reduce some too.

2018 Rockwood 2905ws Emerald Package
Propride hitch
Lzerarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:25 AM   #3

I think i will take measurements on my front wheel well with this set up then move up a link on my blue ox to tighten it some and remeasure and see if theres much difference
Old 08-06-2019, 12:24 PM   #4

Your best bet is to take it back to the scale and check it. The wheel measurements tend to not be all that accurate. They are good at getting you close, which is where you are now.
Lzerarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lzerarc View Post
Your best bet is to take it back to the scale and check it. The wheel measurements tend to not be all that accurate. They are good at getting you close, which is where you are now.

Thanks for your Input Lzerark, i originally wasnít putting much stock in the wheel well measuring method, I probably will go back to the scale and play with different link setups, id be curious in actual number differences between links anyhow. As you stated i feel i am really close to a good setup, i have run the trailer almost 1000kms the way it is and tows really well, i just feel like the truck is a little light in the front with how it steers around bends in the road, maybe thats just how it is with a 6500lb trailer hooked on. I can say that this trailer tows nicer than my 09í rockwood roo did, however i never got this in depth with trying to set it up perfectly