Old 11-23-2013, 05:23 PM   #1
A new ultra-Lite camper need help

The site seems like a nice and informative site. I have a 2013 Jeep Sahara unlimited. It seems to have the power but they do have a bad two rating ( I wish I knew this when we bought it) but we didn't think about camping then. I have been looking at the smallest ultra (14-15 footers that weigh from 1600-2500lbs. I like what I read about the flagstaff and Rockwood. Are there any other recommendations anyone can give us.
We will not be wanting to go all out so I don't want to invest too much. We live in Sarasota and I have a sailboat that is my main love. If I was going to go Mex. I would probably sail however we are going to go to Arizona and will have the cars shipped, the Jeep and my Viper trucked cost $1500 for both to ship from FL to Phoenix ( The Viper costs more than $1500 in gas alone to drive) so I would also appreciate any advice on a good place that sells the smaller ultra lites there. Buying one in FL is maybe the way to go?

sailinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #2
How about a Teardrop?

2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:43 PM   #3
Site Team - Lou
The FR R-Pods are very cool and may be what you need.
Long trailers do not work very well with short wheel base tow vehicles.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:55 PM   #4
Moderators' Assistant
i have friends that just got the same Jeep WITH the factory tow package.
its MAX tow amount is 3500lbs., with only a 150lb. driver in it.
the lightest Rockwood/Flagstaff travel trailer has a bogus "dry" weight of 2822lbs., meaning it'll weigh over 3000lbs. when it leaves the factory.
and its hitch weight will exceed the Jeep's 350lb. max tongue weight, when the trailer is loaded, as will its actual weight exceed the 3500lbs. when loaded.

about half the R-pod models will meet the Jeep's specs. also, some of FR's popups and A-frame models will also meet them.

bottom line is that, due to the Jeep's short wheelbase and low towing capacity, you are going to be limited to the R-pod and the Rockwood/Flagstaff popups or A-frame campers.

does your Wrangler have the full factory tow package? if not, you dont' have the 3500lbs. towing capacity, probably only 2000lbs.
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:10 PM   #5
Thanks for all the info. All the posts have me re thinking what trailer to look for. I don't need to get a heavy trailer that would be to much for my jeep
sailinfla is offline   Reply With Quote