Old 03-04-2013, 04:39 PM   #21

Get an SUV!

We moved from our expy to a silverado...the only pickups I've had have been little ones - no wt sticker at all (pre 2001).

I was s rather surprised by the plate cost on the truck. The expy can tow nearly as much and prolly weighs more than the silverado - but is registered as a 'station wagon' so it's $36/year.

I"m guessing since diesel engines weight so much more than a gas one there is a 'hidden registration surcharge' for owning a diesel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
In PA the weight class is not combined weight but the maximum truck weight (GVWR).

The Pittsburgh Press - Google News Archive Search

If you register your 3/4 ton as a Class 1 truck and ever haul (OR WEIGH) more than 5,000 pounds you will be getting a pretty big ticket if you are ever stopped.

Since most 3/4 ton trucks weigh more than 5000 empty, just having a Class 1 registration could get you a ticket worth several hundred dollars even empty.

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms...rms/mv-70s.pdf

The fine is 2 times the cost of the correct weight class sticker PLUS the cost of the correct sticker. Since my 3/4 ton has a GVWR of 9300 pounds it requires 4A (9001-10,000 pounds). It costs 198.00 per year. If I had it listed as a Class 1 pickup, the registration would be $58.50 per year. The fine plus registration if stopped would be $396.00 plus the 198.00 or $594.00

The CAMPER must be registered at ITS max gross weight (not empty weight) as well. That sticker is pretty cheap at 12.00 (up to 10,000) or $27.00 (over 10,001)

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #22

I have not heard of an RVer getting pulled over for weight in FL. But, I bet if someone was obviously overloaded, and spotted by the Law, they would. I bet the answer is hard to find. My registration reads: NET WEIGHT 6607; GROSS WEIGHT 9000. It looks like FL doesn't add trailer to truck (GCWR 22,000). Maybe they should, dunno. Of course we pay for the tags on trailers, when the trailer is above a certain weight... these are based on weight as well. I've driven 53 years in FL being ignorant, why change that!

Old 03-04-2013, 06:49 PM   #23

Indiana will nail ya. The DOT troopers will pull you over, including if not especially out of towners. We are in the RV capital and they have DOT troopers pulling camper haulers all the time. I have seen a ton of 3/4 ton pulled over with huge 5th wheels pulled over.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:58 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by depo View Post
Indiana will nail ya. The DOT troopers will pull you over, including if not especially out of towners. We are in the RV capital and they have DOT troopers pulling camper haulers all the time. I have seen a ton of 3/4 ton pulled over with huge 5th wheels pulled over.
Haulers are commercial vehicles, most of use are not. I've yet to see or hear of a privately owned fifth wheel pulled over for weight or length issues.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:35 PM   #25

Come through 80/94 from the Michigan to Chicago corridor, I think you would see otherwise
Old 03-04-2013, 07:46 PM   #26

Yeash...that's not too reassuring to me when I'm headed to rvw from central Nebraska this week to get my new fiver. I'm within weight limits, but still makes me nervous. :0

Quote:
Originally Posted by depo View Post
jtstromsburg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #27

In Illinois the requirements for license plates are based on GVWR. Most 1/2 ton trucks would fall into the B plate category of 8000 lbs. or less. What most people don't realize is that most 3/4 ton trucks these days are well over the 8000 lb. GVWR often coming in at 9500 lbs or more. These require a D license plate and yes the price is much higher annualy. In addition to that you are required with a D plate to have a twice per year inspection and carry flares or triangles, fire extinguisher, etc in order to pass the inspection and this is another 20+ dollars depending on the facility (these are privately owned).

While most people get by and the DOT only enforces a couple times per year, it can be a heavy fine including court costs and tickefs. Most auto dealerships dont know and don't care and will transfer a B plate to what should be a D plate truck or even order a B plate for a D truck. Commercial or not has notbing to do with the plate, just GVWR truck.

For those of you in IL this is worth checking out and making sure you are driving with the right plate as I see a lot of big trucks with B plates on them. It is just not worth it in my opinion......Oh yeah there are also F plates and beyond depending on your GVWR with each costing more.
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtstromsburg View Post
Yeash...that's not too reassuring to me when I'm headed to rvw from central Nebraska this week to get my new fiver. I'm within weight limits, but still makes me nervous. :0
Just make sure your plate and your vehicle sticker justifies what you are hauling and you will have no worries. Also they have ticketed for non-working electric brakes.

Tags
cat, scales, scaling