Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2014, 09:23 AM   #41

[QUOTE=transamz9;526724]I never look for pull thru and travel plenty. 99% of my camper is state and federal parks on lakes. I always plan my trips so I do know where I'm going because I have a boat that I pull behind my 5er.

Some people buy added insurance by getting a slider and some need training wheels on there trucks. Some people would be better off spending

Just so you know, I have no problems with handling my combo. I have held a CDL -A (with double/triple endorsement) with ZERO preventable accidents since 1989. And I am a CDL driver trainer for the state of CT, so if you would still like to debate the issue we can. Why do you suppose most tractors that drive our highways have an adjustable fifth wheel? Because they never know what type of trailer or conditions they will encounter. You take which ever path you wish and I will as well and we'll see which one of us land at the body shop first.
2006 HarleyDavidson RoadKing Classic
5verdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:14 PM   #42

[QUOTE=5verdriver;526796]
Quote:
Originally Posted by transamz9 View Post
I never look for pull thru and travel plenty. 99% of my camper is state and federal parks on lakes. I always plan my trips so I do know where I'm going because I have a boat that I pull behind my 5er.

Some people buy added insurance by getting a slider and some need training wheels on there trucks. Some people would be better off spending

Just so you know, I have no problems with handling my combo. I have held a CDL -A (with double/triple endorsement) with ZERO preventable accidents since 1989. And I am a CDL driver trainer for the state of CT, so if you would still like to debate the issue we can. Why do you suppose most tractors that drive our highways have an adjustable fifth wheel? Because they never know what type of trailer or conditions they will encounter. You take which ever path you wish and I will as well and we'll see which one of us land at the body shop first.
This is a little off top and I have now body damage to report since '89 like you. The reason for an adjustable fifthwheel on a big truck is for weight distribution. One notch is roughly 250# with a full load. I have had to tie back the landing gear on our pup trailers to be able to pull them with one of our trucks even with the hitch to the back.

I'm not going to bump chests with you because there is no need. There is a difference between pulling a semi trailer and a fifthwheel as I'm sure you know. The difference is one trailer has the axles about 40' from the hitch and the other is around 25 '. Now , you say you have your doubles, when was the last time you had to put a Pup trailer at 90*? You can't recover.

Load I hauled this week.

2006 EZ GO 6" lift
transamz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:19 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 036.6turbo View Post
I just bought my first fiver also, my truck already had a B&W turnover ball installed as well. I went a different route than any mentioned here. I found a Anderson 5th wheel to GN conversion kit on CL, complete for $150.00.
Ranch Hitch Universal 5th-Wheel-to-Gooseneck Coupler Adapter w/8" Offset for Short-Bed Trucks Andersen Trailer Coupler AM3139

My fiver is a Forest River Work and Play 34L. It is 101" wide, that being said, I need at least 50.5" between the rear glass and the front of the fiver (most experts recommend you add 6" to that number as a sftey factor). Rear glass to ball was 40", pin on fiver is 3" foward of unit, Adapter has 8" of offset, my ball mount has 4" of offset as well.

40+
3+
8+
4+
55" of clearance @ 90 deg.
The Work and Play has a flat front, not rounded like some of the other rigs.

You still don't have 55" of clearance. The offset swivels on the ball. Basically all you have done is made your trailer 6" longer and put a lot of stress on you original hitch. You will still hit your cab on a 90* backing.
2006 EZ GO 6" lift
Old 01-16-2014, 12:38 PM   #44

Quote:
The offset swivels on the ball.
Not sure I follow you?

I did test it out, in an open parking lot, the truck will get to 90 deg, and not contact the trailer.

But I must admit, when doing the test, I was struck by the fact that 90 deg seems to be this "magic number", but if you get out of shape, and are not paying close attention, you will hit the cab. It may not be until 100deg, but at some point it will still hit.
036.6turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:09 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 036.6turbo View Post
Not sure I follow you?

I did test it out, in an open parking lot, the truck will get to 90 deg, and not contact the trailer.

But I must admit, when doing the test, I was struck by the fact that 90 deg seems to be this "magic number", but if you get out of shape, and are not paying close attention, you will hit the cab. It may not be until 100deg, but at some point it will still hit.
The hitch on the ball is where your trailer swivels. Your measurement from where your hitch sits on the ball to the edge of your trailer has not changed (still 50 1/2" to center of ball) So in a 90* situation either your ball is more than that behind the cab or the hitch extension from the center of the ball to the trailer is far enough to get the trailer outside the truck in a 90* situation.
2006 EZ GO 6" lift
Old 01-16-2014, 06:36 PM   #46

[QUOTE=transamz9;526894]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5verdriver View Post

This is a little off top and I have now body damage to report since '89 like you. The reason for an adjustable fifthwheel on a big truck is for weight distribution. One notch is roughly 250# with a full load. I have had to tie back the landing gear on our pup trailers to be able to pull them with one of our trucks even with the hitch to the back.

I'm not going to bump chests with you because there is no need. There is a difference between pulling a semi trailer and a fifthwheel as I'm sure you know. The difference is one trailer has the axles about 40' from the hitch and the other is around 25 '. Now , you say you have your doubles, when was the last time you had to put a Pup trailer at 90*? You can't recover.

Load I hauled this week.

I certainly respect your experience, and you are 100% correct on the weight distribution aspect on the sliding fifth wheel. Same holds true with sliding tandems on the trailer, it's all about distributing weight correctly. Back to the question of a slider for the pickups, I guess I've always had the mindset of being proactive to a situation, instead of being reactive to one. I got out of driving TT a few years ago, however from time to time I do use our lowbed to pickup equipment, or broken down trucks etc, but this time of year this is how I roll..................
Old 01-16-2014, 06:37 PM   #47
Always Learning

Quote:

Rather than re-hash the slider vs. non-slider debate in this thread, what say you all that we leave it over on the other one?
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ain-53232.html

Cheers.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:41 PM   #48

Nah...I think we're done. But thanks though!

Tags
5th wheel, sabre, wheel