Old 04-23-2013, 07:49 AM   #1
Accuracy of the Sherline Trailer Tongue Weight Scale

Thinking of getting one of these, but have noticed a few remarks regarding the accuracy (as much as 100 pounds off).
Unfortunately, I don't think it can be calibrated.
Can anyone comment on this scale? Sherline Trailer Tongue Weight Scale - 2,000-lb Capacity

Doering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:04 AM   #2
No problems with mine. One scale, three different possible gauges. When I got a bigger trailer I went from the 1K to the 2K gauge. Cost was about 20 bucks. The key to an accurate reading is having the scale positioned so there are no side forces. If the scale has to tip a little bit when you are measuring it will be off.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:14 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
I have to let my Sherline "settle" to get an supposedly accurate reading. Once I put all of the weight on the scale, I add some of my body weight to the tongue a couple of times, and move the tongue gently from side to side. If I don't go through those motions, the scale will read lighter than the actual weight.

Once I let that puppy settle, it reads pretty close to the same readings I get from the CAT scale......within about 20 lbs. or so, or as close as I can guesstimate from the increments on the scale.

Another thing to consider is that the Sherline is most accurate about the center of the dial. If you expect a 500 lb. tongue weight, don't get the 2000 or 5000 lb. model.......get the 1000 lb. unit. If you are expecting a 800 lb. tongue weight, then the 2000 lb. model might be best. I have a 700 lb. weight, and use a 1000 lb. scale......that is in the middle 40% range of the scale. A 2000 lb. scale may have worked better as well as that would have been in the middle 30% of the scale, but the increments would have been closer together.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:18 AM   #4
Perfect guys!
Doering is offline   Reply With Quote