Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2019, 11:14 PM   #1

Acme tow dolly experience / issues ?

Am considering an Isata 4 31DS ( really would like an Isata 5 but just cant justify the additional cost on retirement income ) and will have to pull a toad. Am looking for experiences pro and con for Acme EZ tow dollies. Thank you for your feedback and help.
camperpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:48 AM   #2

I’ve been pulling a Honda Accord with an Acme (hydraulic brake version) for 2 seasons. I have towed about 18,000 miles with no issues. Servicing the brakes is a simple task with easily avaliable parts. It’s also very easy to move around by hand when necessary. Except for about 2 feet I can back the MH over the front of the dolly when at a shorter site. It takes me about 15 minutes to load and strap the car in, 10 to unload.
I did have water get into the taillight assembly. I sent Acme a email they had the manufacturer drop ship a set to me in a few days.

I highly recommend the Acme, customer service is top notch as well. It seem recently thayhave drop the price by around $300 as well from whe. i purchased. Delivery to my driveway was 3-4 days after I ordered.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:57 AM   #3

I have used mine for 20k miles with no issues. Easy to use
Old 01-13-2019, 09:08 AM   #4

I found a 2yr old, 3k mile one a couple years ago for $1k.

As mentioned it is easy to store as it will store standing up. With the ramps removed from the tongue, it is easy to move by hand. You can also back up with it and I find it easier to back with the car loaded.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:21 PM   #5

Thanks for the input but what about the "negative" issues such as hooking up the safety chains to the underside of the toad or the safety "lock" on the surge style brake system ? How difficult is it to get under the vehicle to make those connections - my concerns would be with inclement weather or "soft" ground. Thanks again.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:44 PM   #6

I do get on the ground to do the safety chains - I put a blanket down - I also use the blanket to kneel on when putting on the straps and removing the ramps after loading.

Some have rigged up straps or cables/chains that go through the wheels on the car and fasten them to the dolly to act as safety chains.

As for the surge brakes, I don't have the "special" tool (~$10) that comes with the dolly so I use a C clamp in the slot to prevent the brakes from engaging when backing.

Mike and JoAnne
Old 01-13-2019, 01:16 PM   #7

This is a great Tow Dolly. Used ours for 4 Years towing a 2015 Chevy Spark. Never had a Problem with it so far. You do have to get on the Ground to hook up the Safety Chains but not a big issue. Just use an old Blanket or Canvas Tarp to lay on. I put the Ramps in the Toad Trunk.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:41 PM   #8

tow chain solutions

I have an acme dolly and love it. It resides in the garage, standing up on its side when not in use.

I purchased the Wal-Mart exercise mats (you assemble like a jig-saw puzzle) to lay on. They are light weight, quickly dry and you can just toss them into the RV storage between use. I have found that putting the tow chains on goes quicker if you have an old 26inch bicycle tire tube to cover part of the chain. It prevents scuffing of any allow car parts the tire chains come may contact.

Good luck!
RonIn NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 02:43 PM   #9

I carry a 5x7’ tarp that I keep folded in 3rd to use when hooking up the safety chains. I use a round magnet to hold the brake lockout tool in place when necessary. Not a big deal to connect the chains takes about 30 seconds a side.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
Old 01-13-2019, 04:05 PM   #10

Bought one last fall. Towed my daughters Ford Focus to Virginia from New York. It was a little unnerving because one wheel kept moving back on the dolly. Probably doing something wrong. Steering wheel is unlocked. Should the car be in neutral? Do like the surge brakes, and overall it seems like good quality stuff.
aldermanjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 04:24 PM   #11
jkoenig24

There are roads where tow dollies are NOT allowed (NJ Turnpike and Garden State Parkway come quickly to mind [with the exception of tow trucks]. There ARE others). I was surprised when the manager of an RV shop told me this but, I was able to verify it to be true. Just something to consider.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 04:44 PM   #12

What I do. Load car set park brake and leave in neutral. Tighten wheel straps which does pull both tires against dolly front lip. Place car in park and release parking brake. Steering wheel does not lock on my Honda.

One wheel (side opposite of turn direction) tends to move back on turns, so if you you have not just moved straight forward for a significant distance one wheel will typically be back a couple of inches. Nothing to be concerned about.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
Old 01-13-2019, 05:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoenig24 View Post
There are roads where tow dollies are NOT allowed (NJ Turnpike and Garden State Parkway come quickly to mind [with the exception of tow trucks]. There ARE others). I was surprised when the manager of an RV shop told me this but, I was able to verify it to be true. Just something to consider.
Not True per NJ Turnpike current rules.

Link to official document is here.
62' is the max length allowed. Their rules are so convoluted it's not surprising that any one can decipher them.

Copied from the disallowed vehicles section.

i. With an axle or combination of axles raised off the ground and supported by cable, chains, rope, dollies or other devices, except that Class 1 vehicles in tow with front axle off the ground and supported by dollies with safety chains are permitted to enter and use the Turnpike provided that the brake lights and turn signals of the tow dolly trailering system or towed vehicle are connected to and operating in conjunction with the towing vehicle's lights;

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
Old 01-13-2019, 06:04 PM   #14

The best thing to use for lying on the ground is a Yoga Mat, all kinds to select from on Amazon and low cost.
Elcheapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 07:35 PM   #15

Acme dolly

I've used the Acme tow dolly for several years now.First I put down a moving blanket I got free from Harbour Freight,then do the hook ups.never takes very long.I did add a set of lights in the rear window of the car that I plug into for additional tail lights. (don't like the dollies lights as they are way up front and low,so I use em all, Not having to do any wireing or brake units to the coach is great as I've had 3 coaches so far.Some people say they don't like getting wet if the weather is raining etc. Hey your a RVer.who cares.
Mark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1 View Post
<snip>.Some people say they don't like getting wet if the weather is raining etc. Hey your a RVer.who cares.

LOL - no "like button".

Mike and JoAnne
Old 01-13-2019, 09:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiDudi View Post
LOL - no "like button".
Have to agree.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
Old 01-13-2019, 10:49 PM   #18

For Mark1 : are the window lights "full function" ( ie tail lights, brake lights, and turn signal ) ? Do you connect them through the dolly harness to the MH ? If not, how are the lights powered ? Thanks for the feedback.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:58 PM   #19

What I did for lights was to add a 4 flat connector to the dolly wiring and attached it to the dolly frame by the left taillight.
I added a harness using diodes (6) and a 3 to 2 bulb converter to the Honda lighting system. The Honda has full function of the tail, brake (including high mount light), and amber turn signals. I have the end of the harness by the drivers door tucked under the seat when not in use and just run it out of the bottom of the door to the dolly added connector after loading the car.

This is not the simplest way of doing the lighting, but definitely the cleanest and easiest to connect/disconnect when towing.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
Old 01-14-2019, 12:21 PM   #20

No issues with our Acme Tow Dolly. Bought in 2016. Worked great. Even towed it with no load all the way from norther Illinois to Orlando, Fl to bring back our daughter's car with no. Quality product
Open Road is offline   Reply With Quote