Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2016, 08:57 PM   #1

ACME VS DEMCO DOLLY... Which do you like & why?

I am debating between these two car dollies. The ACME costs less but the wheels do not swivel as far as I can tell... the Demco wheels swivel. I don't understand the advantage of one over the other. I will be towing a 2010 FWD VW Beetle convertible and the steering locks when you remove the ignition key. I think you can leave the key in the ignition if you require it to be unlocked. I would appreciate any and all opinions...thanks in advance.
Bob Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:47 PM   #2

There's a really nice demco in the classifieds here.
Worth a look!

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 03-16-2016, 09:57 PM   #3
AD2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Montgomery View Post
I am debating between these two car dollies. The ACME costs less but the wheels do not swivel as far as I can tell... the Demco wheels swivel. I don't understand the advantage of one over the other. I will be towing a 2010 FWD VW Beetle convertible and the steering locks when you remove the ignition key. I think you can leave the key in the ignition if you require it to be unlocked. I would appreciate any and all opinions...thanks in advance.

I just ordered am Acme tow dolly, it is in transit as I am writing this. I too compared them all and decided on the Acme based on price, weight, led lights etc. we are going to use our 2015 Jetta as the towed vehicle. Ours is a push to start model, VW suggests putting the car in neutral, shut it off and remove the key from the car. Tried it tonight in the garage, no steering wheel lock and the electronics went to sleep about 3 minutes after the key was out of range.

I guess for me the KISS principal applies. Everything that moves needs lubrication and is prone to break. My only issue is living in Illinois I have to have electric brakes according to the state. This reduces the capacity of the dolly, reduces the warranty, more parts to wear out etc. I really likes the hydraulic disk brakes but no one offers a tow dolly that is electric/hydraulic that I could find.

Our first trip towing is the 2nd of next month so I will know more then. Down to Lexington Ky for a half marathon. About 800 miles round trip so I hope it is uneventful towing wise.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:09 PM   #4

We have the Stehl auto dolly. It has hydraulic disc surge brakes and swivels. We tow a Prius. Love not having to worry about the always failing electrics. The swivel eliminates the worry if there is a steering lock. Leave car in park, (but NO parking brake - lol).
360true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:53 AM   #5

Does anyone know if the ACME wears out its tires quickly since they don't pivit?

Thank you! If anyone has one for sale within 100 miles of Cody WY please let me know.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:36 AM   #6

I have the acme, hydraulic breaks. pulled 4000 miles and have had 0 problems. My Ford Edge steering doesn't lock. I really like the acme. I have seen a lot of them on this trip. There are several of them in this park in Florida.
I have the 20" wheels which I had to modify the hookup with the straps. I installed eye bolts behind the cars wheels which worked out great.
Roger2650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 11:43 AM   #7

Purchased an Acme dolly two years ago. Works well once I learned how to keep tail lights in. Earned the LED light upgrade by purchasing the spare tire. Two main issues where wearing through one tire strap due to under carriage rubbing. The other was being shocked while installing a safety chain due to faulty power post in an RV park. Locking steering columns in cars was mostly discontinued after 2008 so new dollies do not have a swivel base for tires. An inexpensive battery post disconnect will allow leaving ignition switch on. The surge disc brakes work well.
First Mate = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 11:48 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD2 View Post
My only issue is living in Illinois I have to have electric brakes according to the state. This reduces the capacity of the dolly, reduces the warranty, more parts to wear out etc. I really likes the hydraulic disk brakes but no one offers a tow dolly that is electric/hydraulic that I could find.
I think you may have gotten some bad advice. The braking system just has to be controlled from drivers seat and has to work simultaneously with the tow vehicles brakes. Surge brake systems fall into this category.

To the OP, I have an ACME and like the way it's built and features. It's going to make it's maiden voyage next Thursday hauling a Honda Civic on our way to FL.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:02 PM   #9

Please update your post and let us know how your new tow dolly works out. Thanks!
Old 03-17-2016, 12:07 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Montgomery View Post
Please update your post and let us know how your new tow dolly works out. Thanks!
Will do. I'll probably give it a trial spin this weekend.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:19 PM   #11

IMPORTANT: Check your straps after one mile and at every rest stop. Be sure the excess strap does not accidently pull on the strap release if you tie it up.
First Mate = Xiangbing
Old 03-17-2016, 02:06 PM   #12

ACME says you are not required to have auxiliary lights on the back of your towed vehicle...does this sound ok?
Old 03-17-2016, 02:10 PM   #13

In Florida we need to have just the trailer lights. (Aux lights - Harbor Freight) are however a good idea. Also no license plate is required here on dolly.
360true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 03:14 PM   #14

Auxiliary Lights

Dumb question but how would you route the wiring for these lights? I wouldn't want wind chaffing etc. to do damage. Our tow car is a ragtop so we would have to mount them somewhere on the rear of the car. If the law doesn't require them, why should I want them? Will they really make that much of a difference? I have zero experience with this issue. Thanks again...
Old 03-17-2016, 05:09 PM   #15

Acme vs Demco

I do not know if they have improved the Acme. When I had one it was heavy,the ramps were not attached and we're made of plastic, the tie down system was awful. It was changed after I bought it to chains looped through the wheels wrecking them.The car had to be chained down each and every time. Because the steering column needed to be unlocked,the front wheels would swivel and try to push off the platform. The wheels themselves were small and wore out in under five thousand miles. Customer support was minimal and if the question difficult, non existant. I then purchased a master tow, similar to the Demco. I never regretted that decision. It was simple to load or unload, the ramps are attatched and the turntable swivels so locking the steering column didn't matter. It had led lights and large wheels. I could hook up, tie down and be on my way in 10 - 15 mins. Look each one over carefully before making a decision.
Strigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 06:51 PM   #16

The lights on the dolly are out wider than the vehicle being towed. Traveled through 11 states and 6 Canadian provinces with only the dolly lights. No issues with any authority.
First Mate = Xiangbing
Old 03-17-2016, 06:55 PM   #17
Previous Member

I have the Same Acme dolly and feel it is the best in the market you could purchase.
We pull a full size Grand Caravan and it follows great. Also it is the best built full welded joints great Breaks and no need for all the extras you may have to purchase with other Dolly's.
Good lights and tires heave duty plus you get a spare tire if needed. just Buy it and you will not look back, Great Choice
Allan
allan kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:05 PM   #18

But how do the tires wear????

In as much as the tires do not pivot, do they wear quickly on the ACME? In my mind dragging the tires is like an eraser... or not. Tell me what you think. Thanks in advance!

Bob
Old 03-17-2016, 07:11 PM   #19

The dolly wheels rotate independently. After almost 8,000 miles, I do not see any wear. Towed a 2008 Nissan Sentra to east coast and up to the northern tip of Newfoundland (a ferry was involved). Then experienced some of the world's worst roads in Quebec.
First Mate = Xiangbing
Old 03-17-2016, 07:30 PM   #20

2 years ago I borrowed my buddies Acme for one trip towing a RAV4. It worked well for that trip of ~120 miles.

The things I didn't like were the wheels were kind of small, not sure of why I didn't like that, it just seemed odd to me. I loaded up the RAV4 and took it around the block and had to re-tighten the straps. As I recall the front of the wheel rests on a metal stop but there isn't anything for the back of the wheel so the straps do all the work of holding the wheel tight against the front stop.

In the end, it worked well and got the RAV4 to the camp site and back home with no issues.

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote