Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2014, 01:50 AM   #1

Added airbags - proper WD hitch setup?

Just looking for someone to check my work here -

I added airbags to my truck this week to improve the ride when towing.

I'm using a 14k lb. equalizer 4-way hitch.

Prior to airbags, the rear end of my truck would sag about 2 inches with the trailer attached. So, I moved the hitch head down one hole on the shank, which results in the ball being about 2 inches lower. Now, if I air up to where the truck is level, the ball should be in the same place it was prior and provide the same amount of weight transfer and anti-sway friction on the spring bars.... right?

I didn't have time to hitch it up and go for a test ride last weekend, but I'm heading out for a 600 mile trip next weekend.

Thanks!

'21 GMC 2500HD Denali Duramax, '22 Genesis Vortex 3219VXL and many years as a happy FR Stealth 1913 owner... which is why I'm still here
vocoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 04:45 AM   #2
Engineer of Crazy Train

Should be close. Just remember, 2" at the tires will be slightly more than 2" at the ball.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:02 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocoder View Post
Just looking for someone to check my work here -

I added airbags to my truck this week to improve the ride when towing.

I'm using a 14k lb. equalizer 4-way hitch.

Prior to airbags, the rear end of my truck would sag about 2 inches with the trailer attached. So, I moved the hitch head down one hole on the shank, which results in the ball being about 2 inches lower. Now, if I air up to where the truck is level, the ball should be in the same place it was prior and provide the same amount of weight transfer and anti-sway friction on the spring bars.... right?

I didn't have time to hitch it up and go for a test ride last weekend, but I'm heading out for a 600 mile trip next weekend.

Thanks!
I have several questions. Why such heavy weight bars on a trailer that weighs about half as much? I'm also wondering if your hitch was set up properly to begin with. When you say "sag", is that 2" below "level", or is it 2" below starting point? My truck drops 2" and is level. When I had TT and used WD hitch, my height measurements were within 1/2" front to back when properly set. I would get WD hitch set to remove sag then use airbags to control ride bounce.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 11:24 AM   #4

AquaMan,

I guess I should have said "2 inches below the starting point" as the truck is almost level when connected. I was able to pull the trailer about 20 miles with the bags before I changed the hitch and to get a decent ride, the trailer was nose-high.

I negotiated with the dealer for the largest hitch for free - just because.

'21 GMC 2500HD Denali Duramax, '22 Genesis Vortex 3219VXL and many years as a happy FR Stealth 1913 owner... which is why I'm still here
Old 09-30-2014, 01:19 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
Why such heavy weight bars on a trailer that weighs about half as much? I'm also wondering if your hitch was set up properly to begin with.
I have the same questions as AquaMan. Even though Equal-i-zer owners have previously stated that Equal-i-zer stated bigger spring bars are OK, having 1400 lb. bars on a trailer that could get by with 1000 lb. bars seems a bit excessive. That would give you a really stiff ride.

If the hitch was not setup correctly from the get go with not enough weight distributed to the TV front axle, then that could be the reason for the rear end sag. It might be good to get to some scales for some axle weights. 3 weights will tell you a lot: 1 with the truck only, 1 with the truck and trailer without spring bars in place, and 1 with the spring bars in place. Nothing should be different with passengers or cargo with all of the weigh-ins.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 04:07 PM   #6

MtnGuy, I've weighed the combo in the way you suggest a couple of times, albeit prior to the airbags. There was good distribution between the front and rear of the TV with the trailer fully loaded. I'm at work now (without my receipts) but if I had to guess, I'd say the delta was maybe 200lbs between F and R and the truck was very close to level (down abt. 2" from unloaded height).

Old 09-30-2014, 05:19 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

In that case don't raise the rear of the truck with airbags. Inflate the bags to the point that it starts to raise the truck and quit. Set up you truck and hitch without the bags inflated.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 12:02 AM   #8

Sounds good. Thank you for your replies!

Tags
airbags, hitch