Old 05-04-2015, 04:00 PM   #21

Oops. I'll need to read more carefully.

Old 05-04-2015, 04:12 PM   #22

I would still add the $30-50 sway bar before I just drop it and go spend $1500+ on a new hitch.

Also, if you pulling a camper in icy conditions your not going to be going very fast anyways, at that point you shouldn't be going fast enough to get a sway from the camper anyways.

I don't know if I would buy a used hitch. I would be scared of what it's been through, or what has happened to it.

Like I originally said, I'm sure the high dollar ones are way better, but adding a second sway bar to our cheaper setups improves the trailers sway quite a bit.

Old 05-04-2015, 04:24 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
In answer to your question, I don't believe you can just add cams without adding the other hardware needed for the cams.
E-trailer sells just the cams. When I got mine they were packaged separately with separate instructions. That led me to think if you had the Reese hitch you could add the cams later. At least that's what I thought. Maybe not.

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 11:40 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormrider151 View Post
E-trailer sells just the cams. When I got mine they were packaged separately with separate instructions. That led me to think if you had the Reese hitch you could add the cams later. At least that's what I thought. Maybe not.
With my Reese WDH I can buy just the cams and attach them to the trailer and spring bars with mounting hardware. They are around $175.
2005 Ford Excursion 6 liter Turbo Diesel
Bilcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:10 AM   #25

Etrailer has an adapter that can be welded on
Old 05-05-2015, 09:25 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by acstrummer2006 View Post
Etrailer has an adapter that can be welded on
Nice. Will look for it. Thanks!
Old 05-05-2015, 10:19 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormrider151 View Post
Yes, according to ETrailer the dual cams can be retrofitted onto my existing WDH spring bars.
Old 05-05-2015, 03:33 PM   #28

Why in the world would they make allowance on the right, but not the left!? They hardly need any more steel!

1. Dual-Cam add-on will only work if the Reese bars are the type with the little curl on the ends. I don't think the Pro Series has those, so it would also mean a bar upgrade...and that might require a head upgrade....equals get an Equal-I-zer.

2. Why are people comparing a $50 sway controller to a $1500 ProPride. Kind of the extremes, aren't they? If considering dual friction bars to be acceptable, then the proper comparison for integrated sway would be the cheapest option, which is a proper Dual-Cam system, or the Equal-I-zer, at about $500.

3. If you are considering the welded tab option, for a 2nd friction sway controller, that's going to be tricky.
a. The left side of that head is curved, and appears to be the entrance for the springbar socket. So you'd need to cut the steel stock to match that curve. Trying to fill with enough material to bridge a large gap may not hold well.
b. Is your friend good enough at welding to not heat the base metal too much? That area of the head is what receives a lot of load from the bar. You don't want to weaken it.
c. Be sure to look up the proper location of the ball. Recommend welding the steel in place first, then drilling the hole once properly located.

I would highly recommend selling this hitch for $250 (?) and putting it toward an Equal-I-zer for another $250-300.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 04:02 PM   #29

Equalizer on sale here for a few more days, just ordered one for my new 2702ss Rockwood. I was going to buy one from RV wholesalers but could never get anyone on the phone to answer a couple questions.

Equalizer Sway Control Hitches on Sale - PPL Motor Homes

I was considering adding a second sway bar myself but the one the dealer gave me is so ineffective didn't want to chance spending the money and still have a sway problem. The Equalizer gets good reviews and also redistributes weight. For under $500 with a new ball the money spent isn't a great deal considering what I just spent on the TT.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:24 PM   #30

Interesting topic on WDH, I have the cheaper Huskey WHD which I had to upgrade the shank do to the height of my Ram and I wanted one to fit my Class V receiver. I don't want to scrap this 100.00 shank. Can a person buy the Equalizer 4 point sway WHD without the shank?

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4 x 4
6.4 Hemi 410 HP, 410 Rear Axle
gashog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sway