Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2017, 05:22 PM   #21

You should be stopping when you Smell the brakes, not when you see smoke!
Half way down Pikes peak they stop you and check brake temp. Everyone in their SUVs had to pull over. When he checked ours, had to do it twice and let us go. We were in an SUV. Held 2nd gear and shot for 20/25 mph. soon as it went over slowed quick to 15 and continued. Did the same in Colorado with the RV and car trailer. Never saw smoke or smelled brakes.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:53 PM   #22
Air Force Retired

General rule that has always worked for me is to put the tow vehicle in the same gear that you would use going up the incline. The engine will act as a brake to keep you from picking up too much speed.
poppagary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 08:46 PM   #23

We've been towing for more than 40 years, and have learned that the best approach when heading downhill on a steep grade, is to hold your speed down so that whatever situation develops, you know you can safely brake to a stop. Nothing else matters. Do not "ride" the brakes in such a way that you gradually build up so much heat in the brake system that you cannot stop, or the brake pedal goes "soft", or the brakes smoke. Pumping the brakes occasionally is a better technique, and gives the brake system a "breather" to cool down. Engine braking is a major plus, but not all diesel rigs have that capability. Check with your owner's manual to determine if engine braking is included in your tow vehicle specs.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:35 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins View Post
Engine braking feature

Found a tune that adds it
X2!! The Green Diesel Engineering EcoDiesel tune is fabulous. It adds 65 lb/ft of torque and the RAM runs nice and clean. Oil doesn't look used after 500 miles like it used to. In fact one can go a few thousand miles before it darkens. On the RAM Hot Tune the braking costs an extra $50 but it is well worth it. I recommend their tune highly to anyone that has the EcoDiesel. They make tunes for other diesels as well. Great company!

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:47 PM   #25

Does the Green Diesel Braking Feature affect the factory warranty on Chevy Silverado or GM Diesel Pickups??
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 11:36 PM   #26

I don't know if it affects those diesels. Keith (at Green Diesel) told me that the RAM EcoDiesel tune is not detectable by the dealer unless we tell them or they take it for an extended drive. Feel free to call or write them. They answer quickly and are very friendly.

Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
Old 05-27-2017, 07:44 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Just went through the Rockies......got disc brakes in advance, but truthfully it was not a big deal.

Exhaust brake and tow haul mode...hit brake once and it downshifts (I could have gone to Manual and done it myself), hit it again and it downshifts again. I rarely even used the brakes, just every once in a while.

Also, remember that you have a trailer brake (or I hope you do!!), and you COULD hit that to engage trailer brakes without engaging truck brakes, but not too long. It takes some practice.

My trans temp never got above 175, the brakes weren't hot because they were seldom engaged, and folks went around me when they could.
Interested in your disc brake conversion. Did you feel it helped when on the big hills? Did you have it done or did you do it yourself? You'd find a little difference in your tranny temp during the summer when it's 80 to 90 degrees. My issues arose with another 4 grand strapped to the back of the 5 er.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 10:07 AM   #28

I live in Colorado and have seen plenty of trucks forced to use runaway ramps. Amazing how many drivers are clueless and don't even know how brakes work and that they can fail from being overheated.

I used to tow a 25 foot camper with my 2007 Grand Cherokee 3.0 diesel (Mercedes engine but similar).

One thing that folks that realize is that you can help your brakes a lot by:
a. Turning on the air conditioner. This adds about 10 horsepower of drag to engine and really helps to slow things down.

b. Turn on all electrical power items. Headlights, heated seats, rear defroster, etc..etc.. The electrical load help a bit on putting a load on engine but not as much.

c. Don't ride brakes the whole way. Use intermittent braking if you must. Brakes convert kinetic energy into heat energy. There comes a point where the brake components get so hot that they cannot absorb and dissipate anymore heat energy and fail. Too much heat can glaze brake pads which make them less effective after brakes cool, heat can cause your brake fluid to boil which will allow you to experience a run away truck ramp if you are lucky to have one on your route.

On unrelated note: Yes, Green Diesel Engineering is a great company with great products. I own a tune of theirs.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 08:22 AM   #29

Green Diesel Engineering ~ Got Tuned

Hi Everyone - Thanks so much for all of you tips and suggestions for descending a steep hill. Based on your feedback, we ordered the Green Diesel Tune for our Jeep and just installed it yesterday. It was a bit intimidating, having never done something like that, but we made it.
Happy Camping ~
Cheers

Theresa
MandM1710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 04:08 PM   #30

Theresa, I hope you love the tune & software driven turbo brake as much as I do. I Transport TTs for Forrest River & Airstream with my Ecodiesel truck. I have found the turbo brake will hold to a 6 percent grade on a TT to 6,000 pounds. Beyond that I use the factory trailer brake controller to supplement it with no need to use a foot brake to control speed. Even up to a 9,000 pound TT down 5 & 6 percent grades. In fact my original brakes lasted 293,000 miles.

Not sure if the Jeep also has the option of a factory brake controller but I am really impressed with the one on the Ram and I have used other non factory units before. You will also like the bump in power & mileage and may notice how much cleaner your oils stays. Now if our out of control gov releases our lil diesel my son & son in law both want one. It would suck if the gov pushes Chrysler out of the lil diesel market like they did to VW.

The answer to what can my 1/2 ton tow; Generically whatever TT has a GVWR less than TV’s max tow rating. Specifically is found on CAT scale via weight distribution with TV TT & WDH. Best motor & gearing all 5 Mfgs within specs IE safe & stable normally to 8k but passengers & bedload reduce this. RAM 1500 ED max tow 9,200, max axle ratings 3,900, max 09-18 CVWR 15,950, axle weights me & gear 3,240 steer 2,560 drive
VernDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 05:55 PM   #31
King of the Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
I hope you meant "my towed vehicle" as in "toad."

Unhooking your TV doesn't help get a trailer down the hill.
LOL, Yep i was wondering if he just had her call for road side assistance to come get him and his trailer down the hill....

2016 days camped = 91, 2017 days camped = 109
Dano1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 08:57 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandM1710 View Post
Hi Everyone - Thanks so much for all of you tips and suggestions for descending a steep hill. Based on your feedback, we ordered the Green Diesel Tune for our Jeep and just installed it yesterday. It was a bit intimidating, having never done something like that, but we made it.
Happy Camping ~
Cheers

Theresa
Welcome to the GDE club. Did you notice the slight change in the way your diesel sounds? Also the quick response the engine has to the throttle. And of course the added HP and torque. You'll love the added brake and power for towing. Congratulations!

Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS