Old 07-17-2015, 10:22 PM   #11
Site Team

I would ang on to your current trailer a bit longer and find out what you love and hate about it. Use that to your advantage when shopping next time. I played the game similar to you. I bought a tt to match my old armada. Tt had a gvwr Well within rated tow capacity. What a joke, I was over on payload and handling was downright scary. Traded for a used f250 diesel and had a great match for a couple of years. Then we got the bug to get a fiver. Payload on the f250 was only 1500 lbs after accounting for family, dog, etc. No go. We then researched our trailers and trucks until we new exactly what we wanted in a trailer. It was narrowed to two diversity similar in weight and length. I did all of my calculations for pin weight etc based on fiver gvwr and subtract weight of family from door jamb stickers on the trucks we shopped for. We came up with a new 2014 chevy 3500 duramax with a 4000 lb payload per door sticker. Bought the truck and then 3 months later we bought the fiver after we sold the old tt on craigslist. In mind this worked really well as it allowed me to carefully match my rig. Not all are fortunate enough to do both so close together. This is where weighing your existing g vehicle and knowing it's capacities from those weight as a very important thing. You can then do calculations us I g worst case scenario on the trailer of choice, if it works great. If not, then time to choose, get a different trailer or get the trailer you love and upgrade the vehicle simultaneously.

asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 07:24 PM   #12
The Tudors

Sometimes you never win

For our family it's always evolving. Started out tenting, then a camper with a Chevy Camper Special, then Winnebago 32' motor home. Then we switched to trailers. Started with Coleman Bayview pop-up with an Explorer with a 4L HO V6. Loved that, and towed fine, but not great. Upgraded to Durango with 4.7L with 3.55s, and that was much better.

Then we wanted to move into a new TT. Found nice Salem Lite that we liked. Towing that on a flat road was fine, but over any grade about killed the Durango. Upgraded to a Jeep Commander with 3.73s, 5.7L HEMI, and it doesn't drop below 60 on most anything.

Hind site? We may have looked for nice crew cab truck from the start that could seat 6 when we decided to move into TTs. Sometimes life changes and you just have to roll with it. I'll probably have to do it again if we ever decide to go with a 5er!

Old 07-19-2015, 01:44 AM   #13

I have usually bought more TV than I thought was the minimum necessary and have generally been satisfied with the results. Right now, I have a 2013 Chevy 2500HD crew cab diesel with 3:73 gears. It has towed a Keystone 24 ft Outback with an ATV in a front, side loading garage. Gross weight of truck as loaded averages around 7,600 pounds and the trailer, loaded averages around 6,600, weight on free Oregon log truck scales. The truck has plenty of torque to tow with the 3:73 gears instead of the classic 4:10/4:11. Towed through the Rockies going to Florida from Oregon. Never overheated and no trouble stopping. For me, the principle issue is no longer how much can I pull with my TV but can I stop the load once underway. Chevy exhaust brake, coupled to the Allison tranny, actually works and is great on 6 % or even greater grades. Coming in the back way to the Steens mountains there is one old 2 lane road that states an 8% grade and the combination works even on an 8% grade of narrow, curvy road. Further, in Tennessee last year, got 22.6 MPG (using an Edge Juice with an Attitude in economy mode or power setting) without the trailer and 16.2 with the trailer. Believe it or not, it was true. My advice, buy more TV than you need and feel safe towing whatever you hook to. Further, always tow level and buy airbags. Finally, do not tow an RV that weighs more than twice the TV grosses. You have to be able to stop the load and it may not always be at a time when you are on dry, level ground.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:08 AM   #14
Pockets

The Mrs and I went to an RV show in Mar and found the trailer we wanted. I also knew the sales manager at FORD. I gave him the spec sheet for the trailer we were going to buy. Bought the TV first, then got the trailer. I'm happy with what I have. Mind you I haven't towed in the mountains yet. I've done the rockies in 09 with a 05 Freestar and towing a Coleman popup at 2500 lbs. It was slow going uphill but found out to just take your time. I never hit the speed limit but I never burnt out the motor or tranny. My F-150 is rated at 11300 lbs with 1900 lbs cargo capacity, the Flagstaff, is rated at 7600 lbs loaded.
3.5L Ecoboost, 3:73 axle, Max Tow Pkg

2015(36 nights) 2016(74 nights) 2017(138)
Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:15 AM   #15

Is it possible to have too much truck and not enough trailer?

Bruce
Old 07-21-2015, 07:35 AM   #16
Pockets

Bruce, better that then the other way around

3.5L Ecoboost, 3:73 axle, Max Tow Pkg

2015(36 nights) 2016(74 nights) 2017(138)
Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote