Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2017, 03:35 PM   #1

Advice on Tow Vehicle flat repair

In towing a bumper pull Toy Hauler, if the tow vehicle were to suffer a flat tire, do most people unhook the trailer, or is that not needed? Just curious, and THANKS!
Dodge Ram 2500 HD Cummins
2018 Ultra Limited
HyperCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:13 PM   #2

Strictly speaking in terms of the jack raising the wheel you don't need to unhook the trailer. On a hill it may be difficult to keep TV and trailer from moving if a rear tire is flat so either make it to flat ground or chock the trailer wheels and unhook.
The other twist is that most trucks have the spare in the rear under the bed, and getting to out is a pain even without a trailer.
TheGerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:28 PM   #3

For me, if a flat on the front ~ set the parking brake, chock the trailer tires and be careful. If on the rear ~ I'd try to get to a flat area no matter what. If not doable ~ I'd chock at least 1 front tire and 1 side of the trailer tires and be especially careful.

If at all possible, look for some good rocks to chock as many tires as possible. Just me, but I'd never unhook the trailer if not on flat ground. If nothing else or no other options, I'd leave the motor running and have the DW keep her foot on the brake.
extxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:57 AM   #4

Had a flat last year on the right rear of my truck while towing my bumper pull toy hauler. Luckily was on a flat area. I just left the trailer connected and changed the tire. You're only picking up it up a couple of inches (from normal), and any additional trailer weight should be minimal, as the trailer weight will shift more to the rear of the trailer. Your truck should have a capable jack that will work at full gross weight. My Chevy has a bottle jack and it really did not seem any more difficult.

One thing to consider is, if your trailer (which does not come with a jack) is heavier than the truck, you may want to upgrade your truck jack. I have had to change the tire on my trailer due to a bad valve stem (all have now been upgraded) on one tire. My trailer was under 10K, and the truck has a 10K weight limit, so no problem with the truck jack. If the trailer is heavier, easy to get a nice heavy duty bottle jack at an auto parts store for both.

Mark
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 12:24 PM   #5

I bought a new hydraulic bottle jack immediately after purchasing our first fifth wheel. I also got T Bar lug wrench to fit both the truck and trailer. You carry wheel chocks for the trailer presumably so you can use those or blocks of wood, or your plastic leveling pads to chock the wheels on the truck and or trailer.
I highly recommend a TPMS system for anybody that tows. Gives you advance warning on everything except a major blow out, which allows you to get to a safe place to check and/or change a flat. I use the EEZ tire setup, but there are a number of decent ones out there. Mine does not require a signal booster for my long rig. It's designed for semi's.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 04:38 PM   #6

Thanks to all for the knowledge! I have a shop floor jack, all the tools I can think of including a "Torque Multiplier", and I do have a TPMS in place. (Trying to be ready) I'm considering a 24V Impact Gun also.
One more thing, I think I will carry my truck spare in the bed, just be a lot easier when on the side of a road, in the dark, and raining! Thanks again.
Dodge Ram 2500 HD Cummins
2018 Ultra Limited
HyperCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:15 PM   #7

One other thing, most likely the lug nuts in the trailer are different size from the truck. And the the space to put the lug wrench in can be smaller. Double check what you have.

Mark
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:17 AM   #8

you pull a toy hauler by the bumper?
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 12:41 PM   #9

Surely he's talking about using a WDH. My TT is a 3310BHDS. A few weeks ago I checked the tire pressure and the next morning I had a flat tire, suspected sticky core in the valve stem as the tire shop could not find a problem. I have a two (2) 2 1/2 ton floor jacks and neither of them could lift just one side of one axle on my TT. I also have a few bottle jacks and the ten (10) ton bottle jack is the only one that would lift the axle. So now the 10 ton bottle jack is in my truck tool box all the time, just in case.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareftn View Post
you pull a toy hauler by the bumper?

It is fairly common to refer to travel trailers (i.e... non 5th wheels) as bumper pulls even though the don't actually hook to the bumper
Old 08-13-2017, 07:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk510 View Post
It is fairly common to refer to travel trailers (i.e... non 5th wheels) as bumper pulls even though the don't actually hook to the bumper
I think they have the misconception that all toy haulers are Fifth Wheels. I don't think they understand that there are also Bumper Pull toy haulers out there also.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair, tow vehicle