Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2016, 07:33 PM   #1

Advice on Towing Vehicles for R-pod 178

Howdy!

I'm new to the Forum and new to trailering, so please be gentle... My wife and I retired from tent camping last year and bought a new (2015) R-Pod 178. We took six trips last summer, using her 2006 SAAB wagon to pull the R-pod. It has a stated towing capacity of 3,500 lbs, which we thought would work out with a lightly-loaded, 2,500-lb R-pod. It performed pretty well, but we have some pretty steep, long climbs out of the Salt Lake Valley (our home) to get to a lot of our favorite places. With the SAAB, we just kissed the "H" temperature a few times, but never had to pull over to let the engine cool.

The SAAB is probably getting too old for this and there are many places we'd like to go that are higher and steeper than we've gone. We'd like to get a vehicle that we'll have confidence in. This would also be my wife's commuting vehicle, so she insists it not be a pickup.

In talking to friends who pull R-pods, we've gotten all kinds of often conflicting information. For example, one friend has an Xterra with a tow rating of 5,000 lbs, but he's unhappy with the power. Another swears by his Ford 150 truck. I've learned over the years to simply not believe dealers, so, coupled with my very limited knowledge of cars, trucks, etc., I'm in sort of a pickle.

Ideally, we'd like to get a lease-return, low-mileage SUV (my wife's really not a truck person) that doesn't drive like a tank around town and has more versatility than a pickup.

So, I thought I'd take a survey, of sorts, and see what experienced owners use to pull their R-pods. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

thegarrs
thegarrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:49 PM   #2

Welcome to the Forum sorry I can't help with a tow vehicle...........

..... but I would suggest before you buy anything .... take your current set up to a CAT scale and weigh the car & trailer then go off the scale & weigh just the car. This way you can figure what the trailer actually weighs. It probably weighs more than you think if you are going by empty weight with a light load.

Good Luck !!!!!!!

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:51 PM   #3

I have no first hand knowledge but some friends of ours pull a small trailer with a Jeep Cherokee diesel and they love it. I have seen several members here on the board talk about the Jeep diesel as well.
Good luck with your search, you'll probably get a lot of suggestions.
2017 Ford F350 Crewcab Dually Diesel
Officially homeless and loving it.
Ham Callsign K9NDY
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:01 PM   #4

You will find many vehicles which are probably suitable with V6 engines/5000lb tow ratings. We tow a 3500lb (loaded for travel) TT with our V6 FJ Cruiser (4700lb rated). We find steep grades challenging and like your Xterra friend find the power just adequate. Of course, for the 90% not towing it is very nice and great as an off road vehicle when exploring the Rockies.
My opinion, if I were buying a TV, is get a V8. The mpg difference is not significant; the son's 5.7L vehicle only gives up 2 mpg to my FJ when not towing. Also, V6 or V8, get something equipped with a towing package for the extra cooling capacity, better charging system, uprated suspension, etc.
pjnlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:03 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I like the armada. I used to have one that I used to tow a horse trailer. You may not need something quite thAt big but it handles nicely around town and has more towing power than you will need even if you upgrade your trailer. The dodge Durango is a little smaller and also capable of towing your r pod.

One of the best things to do is to go to the scales and get real world weights on your trailer loaded to camp. You want two weights. First weigh just the car. Next weigh the car plus the trailer. If you have weight distribution hitch, don't hook it up for the weighing. Have the car on different scale pad then the trailer. The difference in the car weight is the tongue weight. The difference in total weight is your trailer weight.

Now go look for a tv that has enough tow capacity for that trailer Wright and enough payload for the tongue weight plus anything and anybody you put in the tow vehicle. Double check the tire loading sticker inside the door of the tv for its real world payload not the inflated internet or brochure number. You are looking for what is circled in the picture. Make sure whatever you get has a tow package with a heavy duty transmission cooler.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ford door jam stickers_kindlephoto-192644983.jpg
Views:	701
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	99286  
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:16 PM   #6

I do not own a R Pod so not speaking from experience with R Pods. Yes the Ford F150 would be great choice for towing. A small SUV would probably not fit the bill, most have small towing capacities. Mid sized SUV like the Xterra would be ok but as you know under powered. A large SUV like a Suburban, would definitely work well. It will seem "tank" like but not so much different from a truck. Trucks and large SUVs sit much higher giving you a better view of the road ahead. Car people really like seeing the road from a higher position.
Take the wife for some test drives in larger vehicles. See how she feels about them. I think you will looking at Mid sized SUVs, so at minimum look for V6 engines with towing packages, not just a hitch. Towing packages include things like aux. transmission coolers, good hitches, heavier wiring for the extra lightning. you may be low on power, but it will be comfortable to drive. Which is important. That being said I would look at the Jeep Cherokee.(which as an available V8)

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:21 PM   #7
I go RV'ing not Camping

I just sold a Jeep Grand Cherokee v8 that had a 6500lb towing capacity.

The new v6 grand Cherokee makes more hp than my v8 did so that is a good option, and when you aren't towing your wife gets to drive a luxury suv
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:03 AM   #8

I spent 7 seasons towing a popup, so I've been in these discussions. I agree that it would be good for you to get an actual load weight for your trailer. Until then, I see that the UVW is 2535lbs, with cargo capacity of 1150lbs (that will never happen). On popup forums, the typical estimate for a loaded camper is 600 lbs over dry weight. 800 for a hybrid. Having more height than a popup, and likely some cabinets and larger fridge, let's use 800 (conservative). So that's around 3330 estimated loaded weight. I'm not sure how your SAAB treats weight in the car, but being conservative, the passenger weight is putting you right at the 3500 lbs limit.

I am an advocate for using tow vehicles to their limits, as long as you only camp a few times a year, and stick to the flat lands. Your home and intended usage dictate otherwise.

There are plenty of mid-sized crossover-based SUV's these days with 5000lbs tow ratings, as long as you opt for the HD towing package. Many of these will have a 6-speed auto transmission, which usually means they don't need to include a gas-mileage-robbing axle-ratio change to get the higher rating.

Ford Explorer with tow package = 5000.
Dodge Durango V6 no tow package = 5000
Dodge Durango V6 with tow package = 6500
Dodge Durango V8 with tow package = 7400

If you want an older vehicle, look for a 2009-2010 Ford Explorer (or Mercury Mountaineer) with the V8 and towing package (7000+ rating). I would not recommend the V6 with tow package, because the axle ratio change kills the gas mileage. And either engine without towing package only has cooling good for 3500. This was the previous generation (which I have), which was still on a truck frame. It's my wife's daily driver. She did not want something that rode like a truck, and she is very happy with the Mounty.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgourlie View Post
I just sold a Jeep Grand Cherokee v8 that had a 6500lb towing capacity.

The new v6 grand Cherokee makes more hp than my v8 did so that is a good option, and when you aren't towing your wife gets to drive a luxury suv
Yeah, I forgot the Jeeps. A 1-2 year old Grand Cherokee V6 would be a nice find. Does anyone know how the new Cherokee (not the Grand) is at towing? I don't know if it can be fitted for more than 3500 lbs.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:24 AM   #10

I think they need a 3/4 or 1 ton truck to pull that... Sorry I couldn't help myself that is usually how these type of threads go...ok back to reality

Family friends tow an R-pod with a newer F150 and love it. They had the truck before the camper. I think several people have given great advice already. If possible weigh it and go from there, otherwise drive a few things and see what you guys like driving. X2 on the tow package. IMO the only other suggestion I could make is maybe find something that is above the capacity of what you need...it never hurts and hey you never know what camper you might have in the future...might seem kinda silly having to buy a new TV every time you get a new camper...Other than that make sure you are safe and enjoy the fun it brings!!

Days Camped in last 3 years - 79
Planned Days in 2021 - 50
Days Camped in 2021 - 0
Justice12t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:35 AM   #11

Yeah. From that perspective, the V6-tow package Durango would be a good choice. Decent mileage, and still 6500 lbs potential, which would be enough to handle your next camper up through a loaded weight of 5000+.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:19 PM   #12

We tow our 2013 R pod 178 with a Chrysler Town and Country or a Jeep Liberty. We have a weight distribution hitch and sway bar. Both work well but personally, I like the longer wheel base of the mini van for towing.
DebbieHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 02:26 PM   #13

The new Jeep Cherokee will handle the R-pod just fine. I have a R-pod 182-G and tow with a Chev 1500 crew cab. Nice combo, but just bought the DW a Cherokee as a back-up in case the truck is not working. Did my homework and saw that the Cherokee would work fine.

Backpacker
glfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 02:36 PM   #14

We started with an Rpod 179 pulled with a Honda Odyssey. It was within the tow limits but just barely and it really worked the car. I really felt sorry for it.
Next we purchased a Ford F-150 and it pulls it like a dream and the mileage was actually better with the truck.
Of course since we had all of that pulling power we have now purchased a larger camper. Unfortunately I think I'm a little oversized again.
Lessons learned:
The tow vehicle should be at least 25-35% bigger than the ratings indicate. Bigger is better especially if you are pulling up mountains.
Towing capacity isn't the who story. Read all of the postings about Gross vehicle weight etc.
We loved our Rpod but it soon felt too small. If you think you will go bigger its better to get a bigger TV so you aren't shopping again next year.
Read all of the towing ratings from the manufacturer.
Assume that the dealers (car and camper) don't know what they are talking about. Let the buyer beware!
It is worth spending a lot of time and energy investigating your decision.
Finally - have a great time.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegarrs View Post
Ideally, we'd like to get a lease-return, low-mileage SUV (my wife's really not a truck person) that doesn't drive like a tank around town and has more versatility than a pickup.
In my opinion there is nothing more versatile than a 4 door crew cab pick-up. Unless you want 3rd row seating, I can think of nothing that an SUV can do that a pick-up couldn't. The fact that the truck has a bed for hauling stuff is what makes it much more versatile for me. Your wife may not like it now, but test drive a new(er) 1/2 ton crew cab and she may change her mind. I'm a rather avid DIY'er around the house so it seems I am constantly hauling "stuff". If that isn't beneficial to you, then there seems to be some good advice on SUV's already posted.
Good luck!
Old 02-10-2016, 02:39 PM   #16

One more thing. Check out the Rpod forums. There is tons of information (fact and opinions) about tow vehicles.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:02 PM   #17

I am of the opinion you can't have too much tow vehicle. Towing at the vehicle's limits is scary at best and dangerous at worst. Most suvs are softly sprung to give a cushy ride. However , a cushy ride is not what you want when pulling 3500 lbs around behind you. You want stout brakes, a firm suspension, and a cooling system capable of preventing engine and transmission meltdown.
Payload is the other thing many people overlook. Typically, suvs are low on payload capabilities. The r pod has a tongue weight unloaded less than 300 lbs which is pretty low and gives you greater leeway in choosing a vehicle.
I'm not going to recommend any particular vehicle. That's a matter of personal taste. My main suggestion is that you choose a vehicle with more capability than you need. Your location dictates this.
Good luck.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 03:14 PM   #18

2016 Cherokee Towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
Yeah, I forgot the Jeeps. A 1-2 year old Grand Cherokee V6 would be a nice find. Does anyone know how the new Cherokee (not the Grand) is at towing? I don't know if it can be fitted for more than 3500 lbs.
3.2L V-6 is 4,500 WITH towing package per Trailer Life 2016 Towing Guide.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 04:15 PM   #19
KVA

[QUOTE=thegarrs;1098996]Howdy!

I'm new to the Forum and new to trailering, so please be gentle... My wife and I retired from tent camping last year and bought a new (2015) R-Pod 178. We took six trips last summer, using her 2006 SAAB wagon to pull the R-pod. It has a stated towing capacity of 3,500 lbs, which we thought would work out with a lightly-loaded, 2,500-lb R-pod. It performed pretty well, but we have some pretty steep, long climbs out of the Salt Lake Valley (our home) to get to a lot of our favorite places. With the SAAB, we just kissed the "H" temperature a few times, but never had to pull over to let the engine cool.

The SAAB is probably getting too old for this and there are many places we'd like to go that are higher and steeper than we've gone. We'd like to get a vehicle that we'll have confidence in. This would also be my wife's commuting vehicle, so she insists it not be a pickup.

In talking to friends who pull R-pods, we've gotten all kinds of often conflicting information. For example, one friend has an Xterra with a tow rating of 5,000 lbs, but he's unhappy with the power. Another swears by his Ford 150 truck. I've learned over the years to simply not believe dealers, so, coupled with my very limited knowledge of cars, trucks, etc., I'm in sort of a pickle.

So, I thought I'd take a survey, of sorts, and see what experienced owners use to pull their R-pods. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

thegarrs

We bought an R-Pod 178 a few months ago & have towed it over 2000 miles with a Honda Pilot 2016 (we had to have a trailer package added) from Arkansas to the Dakotas. Speed 70-75 MPH. Gas 8-11 MPG. We have had 2 other Pilots (2013;2014--which already had a trailer package) which we have used to pull a horse trailer & 14' boat; gas mileage about the same. We love the R-Pod & have spent up to 10 days in it. A sway bar we added was worth its wait in gold.
KVA
KVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 04:40 PM   #20

Torque is everything, stability is next

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegarrs View Post
Howdy!

Thanks,

thegarrs
You'll probably be ok with a V6 but check the torque rating as this is more important than the horsepower or the manufacturers tow rating (which can be VERY misleading). I can tell you from experience to over kill your tow vehicle in comparison to the trailer. Doesn't have to be a full size truck in your case but should be at least a mid size SUV with a payload of at least 1200lbs and a strong, torquey V6. You should test tow before buying if possible to not only check out the hill climbing ability of the vehicle but also ensure the tail doesn't wag the dog from a stability standpoint as well.
Nights camped 2017-16, 2018-6, 2019-10
Admiral_Roo2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing