Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #1

ADVICE PLEASE: 3/4 or 1 Ton Pickups and Big Dogs

Our TV is a Sequoia, and we have to watch what we take in order to stay within GVWR and max towing rating. As our next trailer will probably be heavier and bigger (surprise, surprise), we are thinking that our next TV should be a pickup, probably diesel. That way we would be set for a traditional or 5th wheel unit.

We need the back seat area to be able to accommodate our greyhound. This entails enough room to move around and stretch, and needs to allow her to get in and out on her own. We looked at the Dodges, but the folded-down seats were so high that I don't think she could get up and down on her own. the salesman told us that the seats were not designed to be owner-removed, so that strategy seems to be out.

Anyone using a pickup TV and taking a long-legged dog that is too heavy to lift? Suggestions?
ProjectPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:40 PM   #2

You could use a ramp that the dog could walk up. The ramp then could be stored in the back of the TV. If you are going to up grade your TV then why not go for the 1 ton. You then would not be restricted to the size 5er you would want to upgrade to in the future.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #3
daydreaming about camping

Are you talking new trucks or older? The last time I looked in a Dodge mega cab there was more floor space with the seat down than in my Ford with the seat up.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:22 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Our 85 lb. goldendoodle rides in the back seat of our Super Cab 150 with the seat not folded up. We move the front seat forward when he needs to get in. He steps on our nerf bar, then the floor, and then onto the seat. And this is a dog that won't jump.....I have to lift him into the back of my Jeep.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #5

I agree with the ramp and a 1 ton. I know that my F350 wouldn't be ideal for a larger dog in the back because when the seats fold up, you have storage area underneath. There is still a lot of seat room, just not a lot of floor room. At the time when we bought the truck we had a dog but I didn't buy the truck to haul the pooch, bought it to tow.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:35 PM   #6

ProjectPro,
Sorry to not answer your question directly on the truck. But I can tell you how we manage big dogs in the truck back seat. I have a very old 95lb long legged lab that can't jump so well any more. I thought about a ramp and almost made one, but found I didn't need one. I have trained my dogs to step up from the outside on to the floorboard (by just standing in front of the seat so they doen't jump), then once inside they can step up from the floorboard onto the seat. Also, I got the full size back seat that has lots of leg room/ meaning lots of floorboard for them to walk in. I have traveled with 2 labs and a teenager in the back seat without any complaining from the dogs. I happen to have a Tundra Crewmax, but I'm sure the Ford SuperDuty, Dodge MegaCab or any other mfr with a full back seat would do the trick.

Good luck
lmcleister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #7

Thanks everyone. Sounds like the seat down system would work best for us. Yes, Powerstroke, I'll be buying the truck to tow, but we don't go if the dog can't go.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:04 PM   #8

Caper (and others who have experience) - When unloaded, does a 1-ton ride significantly harsher than a 3/4 ton? Also, I don't think I want a dually - will that decision limit my future choices as well?
Old 07-15-2013, 05:32 PM   #9

I have had a 2012 F250 and a 2013 F350, both 4 wheel drive and with air bags--diesels. I think they both ride the same in my opinion. The real difference is in the payload--1950 lbs versus 5300 lbs.
mmunn is offline   Reply With Quote