Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2014, 03:35 PM   #1

Air Bag Alternatives

Does anyone have any experience with using either Timbren SES springs or Sumo Super springs instead of air bags? I've checked out their websites and they seem to do a good job. They get good reviews on their web sites as you would expect and I've read some good things about them on the Ford Truck forums. I'm just wondering if anybody here has any real world experience with either of them.

2012 Crusader 290RLT
2013 F350 Lariat Crew Cab DRW 6.7L Diesel
RossandDonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:41 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

They do provide assistance, the big advantage to air bags is YOU control the amount of assistance. With the others you have no control on how much assistance without major changes to the device mounts.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:45 PM   #3

I am installing the Timbren's on my 2007 2500HD Chev. will know soon how they perform. I'm staying away from air bags because you are going to have air leaks for sure.
Gee Whiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Whiz View Post
I am installing the Timbren's on my 2007 2500HD Chev. will know soon how they perform. I'm staying away from air bags because you are going to have air leaks for sure.
Really?

And you know this how!
Old 04-05-2014, 06:05 PM   #5

I have SuperSprings on my '01 F250. They were easy to install and they work great for my setup. Cheaper than air bags also. If they cause additional bounce I have not noticed it. Like OldCoot says though, they are not adjustable unless you do some minor wrenching. That is not an issue for me as I set them up for the weight of my 5er and just leave them set. The SuperSprings appealed to me simply because they were a "install it and forget it" option. I simply didn't want to worry about airing up or down air bags and I definitely didn't want another gauge/monitor in the cab of my truck. I also didn't need the adjustability.
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:11 PM   #6

I had a set on my last truck 2011 Silverado Hd2500 and they worked great I should have taken them off when I traded it in on the HD3500.
You won't be sorry.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:22 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
That's funny, I've had the same set of AirLifts with the same lines for 14 yrs on 2 different trucks and they don't leak.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:43 PM   #8
DW's 401(k) Plan

I've had Air Lift bags on my '04 Jeep GC for 5 years - no leaks. Just ordered a pair for my '12 Nissan Armada. Looking forward to installing them.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:59 PM   #9
WFD

There is another post with this exact same topic going on. I had them on my previous truck...they helped keep truck level and when I wasn't hooked up then it just reverts back to its stock ride...only thing is if you have decent weight on the load...you may be bottomed out on the timbrens at all times that you are hooked up...and they aren't that cheap....not alot more to go airbags....but timbrens are maintenance free.
Rick
WFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:03 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
There is another post with this exact same topic going on. I had them on my previous truck...they helped keep truck level and when I wasn't hooked up then it just reverts back to its stock ride...only thing is if you have decent weight on the load...you may be bottomed out on the timbrens at all times that you are hooked up...and they aren't that cheap....not alot more to go airbags....but timbrens are maintenance free.
Rick
I don't how much more maintenance free my air bags can be. Haven't done anything to them in 14 years other than switch from one truck to the other and push a button to air them up to what I WANT, not some predetermined setting that I can't change.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossandDonna View Post
Does anyone have any experience with using either Timbren SES springs or Sumo Super springs instead of air bags? I've checked out their websites and they seem to do a good job. They get good reviews on their web sites as you would expect and I've read some good things about them on the Ford Truck forums. I'm just wondering if anybody here has any real world experience with either of them.
Air bags are a proven technology going up the highway every day.

Why wouldn't you want something that you can adjust the height and ride to your preference?
Old 04-05-2014, 07:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Another comment from someone who really doesn't have a clue...

I've had air bags for a couple of years and no leaks... My father has had bags for a few years with an on board air system and no leaks with the whole system...

If you have leaks they were poorly installed..

Timbrens are nice as you don't have to touch them after install, but aren't nearly as flexible as air bags...

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:07 PM   #13

Had air bags on a prior truck, no leaks but unless you spend the extra money for an onboard compressor I found them kind of a hassle to use. Had to carry one of those mini 12v compressors in my tool box. Worked fine and probably should of spent the extra money for the compressor but I never did.

Just installed a set of Timbrens on my 3/4 ton dodge today but have yet to pull the trailer or any other heavy load with it. Like the fact they don't ever come into play until the load makes the truck squat down on them...Will find out later if they are for me our not. Found a great place online to buy them if your interested in Timbrens, lowest pricing I could find with free shipping.
Campster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:04 PM   #14

I have nothing against airbags our ambulances at work have them. I have been looking into a Ride Rite system with the wireless remote compressor. The Timbrens and Super springs are new to me and they seem to be a less expensive alternative.
I'm looking for any positive or negative experiences with them or if they are even worth the effort.

2012 Crusader 290RLT
2013 F350 Lariat Crew Cab DRW 6.7L Diesel
RossandDonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:42 AM   #15

You don't have to carry a air compressor for air bags. A good bicycle pump will get them to 80 psi with no problem.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:13 PM   #16
Camper Less Camping

IMO...Airbags will allow you to adjust the ride comfort as your towing needs change (light/medium/heavy/crazy heavy) vs Timbrens are a one size fits all concept...depending on what you want out of a suspension support system will determine which route to go

Old 04-08-2014, 01:55 PM   #17
daydreaming about camping

Keep in mind that airbags (and only airbags) are a variable supplemental suspension system. They create a secondary suspension system between the axle and the frame. The tow vehicles OEM suspension is not touched and continues to function as the designers intended. The amount of supplemental suspension can be determined by user.

RAR, super spring etc., all operate on the principal of either pre-loading the factory suspension or changing the load pattern of the factory suspension. In other words they simple cause the factory springs to behave as if more load is on them, thereby making them stiffer.

Timbren is a really long bump stop that absorbs load later in the suspension cycle, but only when impacted. It is not adjustable and on many heavy duty applications duplicates the overload spring action, but with the bounce of polyurethane.

Each one is capable of achieving the users goal to help with load handling, but each one has pluses and minuses and sits in a different price category.

For me, airbags are the clear choice if you are starting with a HD truck and towing heavy.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote