Old 03-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #1
Air bag help for a 2005 F250

Greetings all. My family just ordered a new 365saq within the last week and are extremely excited about it. My current vehicle is a 2005 F250 Diesel, 4x4 short bed. Now I know that I will get chastised for pulling this camper with this particular truck. I have so many views and opinions from people on this forum that it literally made me sick on my stomach thinking I would have to upgrade the truck before the camper. So much in fact that I spent about 30 minutes on the phone with one of the Ford engineers in Michigan grilling him about my current truck capabilities. Long story short is that I will be upgrading my current truck within the next year or so but I got such a good deal on the camper I could not pass it up. My question is are there any members out there pulling this size camper with either an 05 250 or something similar with a short bed set up? And if you are what have you done to help offset the additional tongue weight? I am leaning towards adding air bags but wanted to speak with some members that have added them on a short bed configuration. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks....

ladderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:32 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Air bags may make you level, just make sure you watch the rear axle weight. Air bags won't change that. You also said you bought a "365saq". Great, what is it? Helps to know Rockwood, Wildwood, Cedar Creek, Work and Play, Shasta, ....... So many brands. The more stuff folks have to look up, the less help you will get. You also want to post specific questions about your trailer in that forum, and look around in there, check the signatures, might find someone with your set up, and then you can send them a Private Mail.

2012 Ford F250 ext. Cab 4x4
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:15 AM   #3
Now a "Top Member"
Windrider is correct (Air bags won't change that), and as long as you understand that, okay. Air bags are not difficult to install, and relatively inexpensive (between $230 - $400 or so). They will also help the ride to some degree (won't be quite so "bouncy"). The length of the bed has nothing really to do with it. I had them on my long bed 2008, and currently have them on my short bed 2011. I'm not sure what exactly your concern is with the short bed. Maybe you can clarify some.
Ed and Sharon
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS
2011 Ford F-250 XLT, 6.7L PSD
Ride-Rite Airbags and Airlift wireless remote compressor...nice!

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:17 PM   #4
365 saq

My family just recieved our 365 Saq SAndpiper and we love it. Also like you I was questioning my trucks ability to tow this huge camper. And believe me it is huge. i have been on the phone with two cover manufacturers today who told me that they don't make covers to fit it. I owned a 2002 Dodge 2500 extended cab 4x4 with many horspepower upgrades. And like you I asked many questions to many people about towing this size camper. Of course I got answers from both sides of the fence. It came down to the safety of my family. Also I wanted to be able to hook up to the camper and pull it anywhere with no worries. So i sold my beloved 2002 2500 and bought a 2008 Quad cab 4x4 3500 dually. Which i will be adding airbags,Rhino lining, and some new tires to in a couple of weeks. After pulling the camper home I am glad that I bought the dually. It just seems like it is supposed to have the camper behind it. This is a big heavy camper. Our family and friends pull up in the driveway to come look at it and just sit in awe and stare at it. It is massive when the slides are out sitting in our driveway. I wouldn't personally want to pull it with a 2500 single rear wheel truck. Depending on how you option the camper out, it could weigh nearly 13,500 empty. But people do it everyday so its just personal preference. Did you buy your 365 SAQ locally or from a wholesaler?????
carsonizik3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:07 PM   #5
Is it a basic 2 door? Supercab? or Crewcab with a short bed.
If you tell us that then I cantry and help with max cargo bed weight and GVW
Also check inside the drivers door for what is the MAX GVWR

Take a look at this PDF attachment and it may help you
See page 4
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2005_Ford_FSeries_Specs.pdf (242.8 KB, 11 views)
2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 49,000 miles
(2013 - 98 days) (2014 - 117 days) (2015 - 67 days) (2016 - 115 days)
USAF Retired - MSgt

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:41 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
I installed bags on my suburban for a better ride when I used to pull my tt . I can say it was money well spent imo . todays springs are more of a progressive rate and "feel" more spongy when towing . Basically they use less spring then older models with the same towing capacity . so the spring "gives" more before the rate is achieved .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:59 AM   #7
I maintain 27 superduty trucks, 150's thru 550's, we have added air bags to a few. They are great as long as you realize airbags on a 150 doesnt equate to a 550! As far as 250 to will be fine, dont worry about the truck, its a 350 with different badges and less available spring rate. Brakes, axles, frame, engine, tranny, tires, are all the same.

try something like this
Air Lift 57291 - Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 Air Spring Kits - Overview -
2007 Cardinal 362bhle 5er
2006 f350 Diesel CC LB 4x4 4.10 locker lariat
1966 Mustang coupe...under construction
2004 Explorer 4.6 awd (16 year old daughters car)
2009 Mazda 6 (wife's ride)
Bunkfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:04 AM   #8
Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Use F-150 SuperCrew with short bed-----

I use the 2005 F-150 Super Crew with the 5'6" bed. I installed the Firestone Air springs to assist in the ride and level of the RV & TV. I use 50lbs of air in the springs. What a difference in the ride. My setup was already level without the air springs. When the front tanks (gray & black)
has a lot of liquid, the extra support of the air bags really work.

Sid, Lois & HRH MISSY Terrible 2s SHIH TZU
2011 ROCKWOOD 8285 WS
2014 F-250 KING RANCH PS/SD/6R140/BFT
DAISY BOYKIN is online now   Reply With Quote