Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2017, 09:12 AM   #1

Air bags

Looking at the firestorm ride right for a couple of reasons. I have p rated tires and would like to suck the remaining life out of them before moving up. New LT tires or the air bags to remove the little bit of bounce that is leftover from the eq 4 pt. Also would need a little squatting help from other trailer hauls that I don't have a wdh setup. So I'm leaning towards the firestone. They look highly recommended.

Any thoughts on why I should stay away?

Thanks as always!
mj0528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:19 AM   #2

Money for new shocks and tires is an issue. That's why I am leaning towards air bags (I can install so won't pay for any mounting or shock install). Air bags seems the cheapest way to get any bounce out.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:33 AM   #3

Yeah the air bag will be good, but I would also think about getting some LT tires in the near future, I have ride rite firestone on my ram so I love them the air lift is good also.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:33 AM   #4

So what kind of setup do you have and what are you trying to do?
Old 07-11-2017, 05:41 AM   #5

I have the Loadlifter 5000's, K02 LT's and an E4 WDH. It's a combination that works well for me.

Marty
Old 07-11-2017, 09:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
So what kind of setup do you have and what are you trying to do?

I have the dreaded 1/2 ton 5.3 :-) with an eq 4 pt hitch that the front wheel measures almost back to where the unloaded weights were. The bars are parallel with the frame and almost parallel with the ground so I think I'm good with the setup that I did (no dealer touched it). I have stock shocks and stock tires still (will be in the market once these get more wear). Sway is almost gone except in high winds (semis don't move me at all). I just get a little bounce. I also air my tires up to almost max (46 psi). Thinking some firestone bags would be the cheapest fix for right now. Trailer is 5800 dry (29 foot) Salem hemisphere lite 262rl.

Thanks!!
Old 07-11-2017, 10:45 AM   #7

Save the bag money and get some new KYB or Bilstein shocks. OEM shocks are a compromise. The MFG wants you to have that nice soft car like ride in your 1/2 ton.
I add some Bilstein 4600's to an F150 a few years back. Made a big difference. Truck cornered flatter and had a nice firmer ride without being to harsh.
On my current 2500 truck I went with KYB. Red ones. They fell a little firmer than the Bilsteins.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
Save the bag money and get some new KYB or Bilstein shocks. OEM shocks are a compromise. The MFG wants you to have that nice soft car like ride in your 1/2 ton.
I add some Bilstein 4600's to an F150 a few years back. Made a big difference. Truck cornered flatter and had a nice firmer ride without being to harsh.
On my current 2500 truck I went with KYB. Red ones. They fell a little firmer than the Bilsteins.

Yea, that's definitely on the list and it may move up quicker. Thinking the air bags may allow me to raise the front end to level it without a towing compromise. Maybe making it more eye candy should be a lower priority
Old 07-13-2017, 10:45 AM   #9

So for a quick fix, would shocks be the way to go to get rid of the smallest bounce? Shocks would benefit me when not towing and would need to be replaced at some point soon anyway so if the shocks will get rid of the bounce, would that be the logical and cheaper next step? Tires will surely follow in the next year but can't right now. Makes sense to replace one of those now but tires are too expensive and I have some tread left.

4600s seem like a good fit for a non lifted truck. Just want to know if that would get rid of the bounce
Old 07-13-2017, 08:34 PM   #10

Firestone ride rite is being shipped prime! Excited to use them for everyday trailers as well as the wdh. I think the stock tires and shocks have a little life left. Alls well not towing so hoping the slight bucking stops.

Anyone use the t junction or just air up each side? I've read arguments s our each method
Old 07-14-2017, 04:10 AM   #11

Awesome and let us know how it goes, but one thing that I want to let you know is when you get them make sure that you take everything out and try putting the hardwire together before you get started.

I made the big mistake on not doing that and right when I got half way the two bracket that attach to the air bag and the body didn't fit, so I had to waste about 30 to 40 mins grinding the two metal parts so they will fit.

Man what a nightmare but once I was able to get it to fit it went very well and am very please with my setup.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj0528 View Post
Firestone ride rite is being shipped prime! Excited to use them for everyday trailers as well as the wdh. I think the stock tires and shocks have a little life left. Alls well not towing so hoping the slight bucking stops.

Anyone use the t junction or just air up each side? I've read arguments s our each method

I have the Airlift system and went with the T. I figured both sides would be exactly the same pressure even if you were to somehow loose air.

BTW I love the airbags, made a big difference when towing and I air them down to 5 psi when not towing to keep the factory smooth ride.
kevind02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:21 AM   #13

If your hitch is adjusted properly as you say and you experience bouncing, air bags will not correct this condition. They provide resistance to compression and none to resistance to recoil as a shock absorber does. My guess would be you will be better off with new quality aftermarket shocks to correct the bouncing. Having said that, the air bags will be a huge benefit for none WDH towing as well as assisting the WDH if you add additional weight to the TV (cargo) or the TT (water, cargo , etc). I have a '15 half ton Silverado with 5000lb Air Lift bags on a wireless air control system and Bilstein 5100 shocks. I pull a FR 274RK with 4 point EQ hitch and couldn't be happier with this setup.
Norcalace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:50 AM   #14

Definitely happy with the side to side but I think now I should've went with the 1200 bars. Oh well! I learned how to properly match a hitch now for future. For now, I'll just use the combo and enjoy what I should've enjoyed with a bigger bar eq.

Thanks for the advice Big1, I'll check it before installing .
Old 07-14-2017, 06:28 PM   #15

The rear shocks on a gm truck are super easy to replace. I did mine in the driveway in 20 minutes. Bought the bilstien 4600s from ajusa.com for under $160 shipped. Made a huge difference in towing ride quality. Just put 4k miles on them and I am a believer
cpttimerstraint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 05:10 PM   #16

I have the Ride Right bags on my truck. They work good to level out the truck and eliminate some of the bouncy rear end. It took some time to get the WDH and bags coordinated, but now I know how much air and how many chain links to keep everything level and still let the WDH do its' job. Just don't use the bags thinking you'll get more cargo/weight capacity.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttimerstraint View Post
The rear shocks on a gm truck are super easy to replace. I did mine in the driveway in 20 minutes. Bought the bilstien 4600s from ajusa.com for under $160 shipped. Made a huge difference in towing ride quality. Just put 4k miles on them and I am a believer

That easy and that cheap? That will definitely be a next item! Thanks!

All good just to replace 2 shocks at a time? Rear first then do front?
Old 07-17-2017, 01:23 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj0528 View Post
That easy and that cheap? That will definitely be a next item! Thanks!

All good just to replace 2 shocks at a time? Rear first then do front?
Just as long as you do the pair, shouldn't be a problem. I did the rears first and loved them. I then did the fronts. I suggest the 4600s fir the rear because they are designed for heavy loads.

Just unbolt the bottom and then the top. To reinstall, put the top bolt in (nut is integrated in frame). Then swing the shock to the lower mount. You should be able to compress the shock by hand and then slip the bolt in. Be careful, there is some pressure on it. You can jack the frame up if you can't get it compressed by hand.
cpttimerstraint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:26 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot12 View Post
I have the Ride Right bags on my truck. They work good to level out the truck and eliminate some of the bouncy rear end. It took some time to get the WDH and bags coordinated, but now I know how much air and how many chain links to keep everything level and still let the WDH do its' job. Just don't use the bags thinking you'll get more cargo/weight capacity.

Same here, how much air do you put in your bags?
Old 07-17-2017, 07:25 AM   #20

Look at Timbrens also.....worked real good for me.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air bags