Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2012, 07:41 AM   #1

Air Bags & WD Hitch

I have been reading threads about air bag suspension for TV's and am a little bit confused (Keep in mind, I'm a bean counter by trade so not real good understanding the physics)...

Question is, when you level the ride height at the rear using airbags, does that have the effect of reducing the load on the WD springs?, or does it just level ride height without having any effect on weight distribution?

Thanks in advance.
2015 RAM 2500 4X4, 6.4l hemi, 6sp auto, 3:73 diffs
Equalizer 10,000lb hitch with 1K bars
Swaggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:39 AM   #2

It is dependent on which one and when you set it up. Frame will be moving up on both ,bags & W/D. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:54 AM   #3

I have an Expedition with the about leveling air suspension. I use the Reece Dual Cam HP hitch. I set it up before the airbags level the truck. Then let the compressor come on and let it add air. I made the mistake of doing it the other way around when I first got the Expedition. The air bags leveled the truck after lifting the tongue jack. Then I hooked up the bars. There wasn't enough weight on the bars and I got too much sway from the camper.

2011 Prime Time Tracer 3000BHS
2007 Ford Expedition
Reese Dual Cam HP Hitch
Nights Camped 2015-5 in TT
DF5.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:25 PM   #4

Thanks everyone.
Sounds like the air bags work simultaneously with the WD hitch. I'm thinking they would be a good investment. I was looking at Timbrens rubber springs for my truck, but am thinking that air bag levelers are a better way to go for towing.
2015 RAM 2500 4X4, 6.4l hemi, 6sp auto, 3:73 diffs
Equalizer 10,000lb hitch with 1K bars
Swaggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:41 PM   #5

the way I was told to use the bags is as follows: 1-measure to top of ball on the unloaded TV. 2- load TV for the trip. 3-fill bags with enough air to bring back up to measurement in step one. 4- hook hookup trailer and sway bars.

all that is assuming the camper/tv have already been set up with the sway bars properly.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:04 AM   #6

I set up my WD hitch to manufacturers specs and it results in about an inch drop in the rear wheel well height.

Then we load up the truck and I give the bags a couple shots of air to level it all out.

Ends up being around 20 psi, where I run 10 psi on an unloaded truck....

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:43 PM   #7

definition of ignorant is uneducated, so, here's my ignorant question and trying to get educated on this subject.
what brand of air bag system for the F250 would someone recommend so i can price them. i presume they're worth the money as i would want to eventually install the system. are they hard to install or should it be professionally done? thanks for all replies and insights! don't know what WD is, but my Reese 5th hitch in the back of the truck is what i got. sorry i don't know the lingo yet.
Poppy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:45 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyKyle View Post
definition of ignorant is uneducated, so, here's my ignorant question and trying to get educated on this subject.
what brand of air bag system for the F250 would someone recommend so i can price them. i presume they're worth the money as i would want to eventually install the system. are they hard to install or should it be professionally done? thanks for all replies and insights! don't know what WD is, but my Reese 5th hitch in the back of the truck is what i got. sorry i don't know the lingo yet.
air lift brand air bags !
they may have a bolt on no drill install
just a tick over an hour to install on my 05 2500hd

250,000 miles on my burb with zero issues !
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:56 PM   #9

Firestones on my GMC...bolt on installation using existing holes....

Husky Centerline Hitch
Old 08-28-2012, 07:04 PM   #10

thanks for the replies! quick internet searches revealed that a system for a Reese/F250 is going to be ~$1,000. sounds like a good investment for my truck and my TH. thanks again!
Poppy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:21 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyKyle View Post
X2 on the AirLift brand of air bags. Using the same set on 3 different trucks with an onboard compressor and no problems. Still working great after 15 yrs.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:40 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

The OP does not list what truck or what trailer is being used, and I can't tell from the avatar photo whether it is a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton truck.

In most cases, if the WDH is set up correctly, the truck should not need airbags. Air bags on a 3/4 or 1 ton truck with a 5th wheel to level it out.....yes. But in the case of a truck pulling a trailer with a WDH.....there needs to be some adjusting done. I am not a firm believer in using air bags on a 1/2 ton truck.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:53 PM   #13

I am no expert... There now that I gave my disclaimer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggler View Post
Question is, when you level the ride height at the rear using airbags, does that have the effect of reducing the load on the WD springs?, or does it just level ride height without having any effect on weight distribution?
IMO If your WD hitch is not set-up correctly after you install and inflate your air bags, then Yes it will reduce the load on the WD springs. To me it seems as if it the same as using your jack to lift the truck and the TT tongue to reduce the load on the springs to hitch-up or un-hitch.
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:36 PM   #14

Do the air springs replace the shocks or are they in addition to the shocks?
Thanks.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:37 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Addition to .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:10 PM   #16

Pac Brake would be my choice.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
....In most cases, if the WDH is set up correctly, the truck should not need airbags. Air bags on a 3/4 or 1 ton truck with a 5th wheel to level it out.....yes. But in the case of a truck pulling a trailer with a WDH.....there needs to be some adjusting done...
Like I mentioned earlier; Set up WD hitch properly, load gear in bed of truck (I often throw a quad and lots of stuff int he bed, hence 5th wheel need not apply), inflate bags to bring truck back up to level it was without gear in it.

In this case, you are simply using the air bags to compensate for the added load in the bed of the tow vehicle without negating the effects of the WD hitch.

Air bags have a use on a truck that uses a WD hitch and that's to maintain the tow vehicle in the proper orientation to maintain the beneficial effect of the WD hitch.

Now, if you're using the bags to level the truck and trailer instead of proper setting up the hitch......

Husky Centerline Hitch

Tags
air bags