Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2013, 09:57 PM   #1

Air bags for 2013 Silverado 1500

Well the consensus from this forum seems to be I need airbags for my half ton to pull a Rockwood ultralite five. (likely a 8280 or 8282)
Helper springs and/or Timbrens were recommended by our RV dealer who claims to have had bad luck with airbags leaking /failing.

Airbags are more often suggested by forums members as they (apparently) really smooth out the ride.
That being said... what is the best type or brand of airbag to purchase. I have heard that some have excellent warranty and fail-safe features. As far as budget we were quoted about $750.00 installed for helper springs. If we can get decent airbags for that amount or even a little more we can handle it.
2021 Flagstaff Classic 8529IKBS
What do you say to comfort a friend who’s struggling with grammar? There, their, they’re.
French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:17 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I have ride-rites on my suburban and firestones on my silverado.
Trouble free on both sets.
The suburban has 265,000 miles and they have been on there for 9 years.

TURBS
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:14 PM   #3

We had Air Lift brand on a 2011 Silverado 1500, with an on-board compressor. I was not happy with them. They would not hold air. I worked with Air Lift, checked all the connections for leaks, even installed a check valve between the compressor and the bags, in case they were bleeding off back through the compressor. Never could get them to hold air for more than 15 minutes. Ended up taking them off, and Amazon (where I bought them) refunded the purchase price. That being said, I have heard from many, many people who have had good luck with Air Lift brand air bags.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:06 AM   #4

I've been using the lift-right for 7 years or so. No problems, except for the occasional adding air about every 4-6 weeks. I don't mind as I check my tire pressure that often during the off season. While camping, I change the pressure before every trip, then back to minimum after the trip. Again I don't mind as I check all the tire pressures before any trip anyway.

2000 Cherokee, LEDs, solar, inverter, etc. '07 Tundra 5.7L DC-LB, modded as well.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:30 PM   #5

I have Air lift bags on my X. I just warrantied them out due to a very small pinhole leak. I like the bags rather than the helper springs or timbrens!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:43 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

I have AirLift on my 05 Silverado that I put on my 2000 when it was brand new. Still using the same ones with no problems after 13 yrs. Also have the on board compressor.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:34 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
I installed Airlift with on board compressor last October. No leaks what so ever. Camping World will install the bags for only $39 and the compressor for another $39. This will keep you well below the $750 you noted earlier. I would ask how the helper springs will affect your ride especially when you're not towing. With air bags you can adjust them accordingly. Just curious if your dealer had a financial interest in having you install helper springs.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:14 PM   #8

If I were to do mine again these are the one I would use:
LoadLifter 5000 ULTIMATE | Air Lift Air Suspension Online Catalog
Old 12-30-2013, 12:35 AM   #9

I put the Firestones on my 2011 GMC 1500 last year and have put over 7000 miles in all kinds of roads. I'm not overloaded but the 5th wheel gave some bounce on rough roads. Smoothed the ride out completely. I'd do it over again. Installed myself one afternoon. If you're handy, no problem. Got them on Amazon. Didn't opt for the expensive on-board compressor. I use $17.95 compressor from Wal-Mart and pump them up before each trip to 35 lbs. and I'm good to go.
Rod, Debbe 1 spoiled Chihuahua and Becky the cat
1Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:59 PM   #10

I like the idea of helper springs, like super springs and hewlig etc etc... but the load points they add to the upper leaf of the spring pack, concerns me as a new stress point versus the way the factory installs an overload spring that works against the frame. i had firestones on the last 2 trucks and had no issues for several years. i can't say they ever lost pressure but then again i let them down after each pull and added back to them before every pull. I am going with air lift this time on my current since they have a lifetime warranty on the brackets and 3 year on bags where firestone is 2 year across the board plus they have a mail in rebate for $50 right now. i can see the advantages to the helper springs but the lack of adjustability and noise for the same money as an air bag set up just doesn't make sense to me. i have never and will never buy an onboard compressor system personally. i would definately go air bag on your chevy and they don't smooth out the ride night and day btw they do however take the sharpness out of the bump from the cracks in the roads and small bumps and add side to side stability from winds and higher speed turns!

'21 dune sport fire storm custom toyhauler
dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:55 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I had Airlift bags on my '11 2500 and I aired them up just to the point that it started to raise the bed from being loaded. My 2500 ran flat with the pin weight of my 42' 5er, (around 2k), and the only reason I had the bags at all was because of the occasional heavy bump. The only times I incurred these were in construction zones. I didn't like the ride or feel of anything more in the bags. That being said, I did a lot of research and I'm convinced the AirLift product had the best "bang for the buck". I've kept them so far, but I'm not going to install them on my 3500. I am thinking of going to an air hitch though, to help with those bumps and easing the jolt on the frame.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:29 PM   #12

Added the firestone airbags and onboard compressor on my F150 and could not be happier so far

2015 Silverado Duramax w/Allison transmission
2014 surveyor 293RL fifth wheel
1surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
I had Airlift bags on my '11 2500 and I aired them up just to the point that it started to raise the bed from being loaded. My 2500 ran flat with the pin weight of my 42' 5er, (around 2k), and the only reason I had the bags at all was because of the occasional heavy bump. The only times I incurred these were in construction zones. I didn't like the ride or feel of anything more in the bags. That being said, I did a lot of research and I'm convinced the AirLift product had the best "bang for the buck". I've kept them so far, but I'm not going to install them on my 3500. I am thinking of going to an air hitch though, to help with those bumps and easing the jolt on the frame.
well I would bet the air pin hitch is as nice as the fifth wheel air hitch I have in the bed of my truck. made a very nice difference in ride for myself.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:27 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Air bags, on board compressor and shocks on the trailer make for a smooth truck ride.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Air bags, on board compressor and shocks on the trailer make for a smooth truck ride.

oh yes shocks on the trailer make a bigger diff than people think! but all the suspension additions add up to make a better and safer ( more controlled ) ride on long runs.

Tags
2013, 500, air bags