Old 04-10-2015, 02:46 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideSaints View Post
When I first read the thread I thought you were saying that a WDH and then adding bags does nothing to transfer weight to the front, but yes we are in agreement that you should use a WDH to transfer weight to the front then you should use bags to level (front to back, this is not for true weight distribution purposes) the entire rig out. Correct?
Correct. Sometimes I have trouble putting my thoughts down into words.

I more question: When using a properly setup WDH, distributing weight back to the front axle of the truck, would a fraction of that weight be taken back off of the front axle if you inflate the rear air bags after installing spring bars ?? My thoughts with that is that once you lift the back end of the tow vehicle some, that relieves some of the pressure from the spring bars, thus taking some weight off of the front axle....however minimal that would be.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 02:47 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjohns71 View Post
I simply suggested the air bags to stiffen the rear end. These half ton trucks mine very much included, are soft in the rear end. After I get my wdh set I add air to stiffen the rear springs a bit to make the ride better and less porposing as you hit dips, bridges, etc... After all in a perfect world, don't we want the TV and TT to ride as close to level as we can, and so they travel more as one unit going down the highway.. If I'm wrong here I'm sorry and won't add any more of my 2 cents... 😝
No you are correct, the title of the thread kinda threw me at first, you do not use bags for weight distribution in a traditional sense, the weight distribution is a secondary consequence (and small consequence) to lifting the rear rather than the primary and intended consequence of a WDH. That is what a WDH is for, bags are to aid the WDH in getting the entire rig level.

TURBS- I will take that drink with you.

Nights Camped (2017- 16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 02:55 PM   #33

This is a particularly interesting thread. I'm not taking sides although like everybody else, I'm certain that I have the correct answer. Here's what I've learned: as in all things internet, one has to be very cautious about who/what to believe.
Old 04-10-2015, 03:01 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post

I more question: When using a properly setup WDH, distributing weight back to the front axle of the truck, would a fraction of that weight be taken back off of the front axle if you inflate the rear air bags after installing spring bars ?? My thoughts with that is that once you lift the back end of the tow vehicle some, that relieves some of the pressure from the spring bars, thus taking some weight off of the front axle....however minimal that would be.
Theoretically yes because you are know changing the angle of the moment and therefore changing the transfer of force across the fulcrums plus the suspension now changes in order to cope with this, you are only changing the angle a few degrees (if that) but it would change the value.

But the bags kinda compensate for this by adding that sliver of weight back to the front since the back was raised. To calculate this a vector analysis would have to be conducted in order to find the transfer lost from the WDH and how much the bags added when inflated. My theory would these numbers would be pretty close or it would be negligible considering you had the correct torsion bar values to begin with.

I was kind of a nerd in my past life......

Old 04-10-2015, 03:03 PM   #35
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy Beast View Post
Easy to prove or disprove. If someone that contends it does distribute weight forward. Take the rig to a scale. Take a picture or get the weight ticket to show weights, then add air to the bags and get another ticket with the new numbers. I would be interested in the results just for curiosity as I do not have a tt.
Heck, I'm curious enough- I'd be willing to pay for the scale costs if someone wants to go do this.
Old 04-10-2015, 03:45 PM   #36

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-10-2015, 03:53 PM   #37

If you have air bags and a friction base WD then adding air after hitching up will reduce the friction on the bars. If using those friction plate devices then no sway control will be lost.

If adding air after hitching up you also lose any weight transferred to the TT and front because you are removing tension from the spring bars.
Old 04-10-2015, 04:01 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
If you have air bags and a friction base WD then adding air after hitching up will reduce the friction on the bars. If using those friction plate devices then no sway control will be lost.

If adding air after hitching up you also lose any weight transferred to the TT and front because you are removing tension from the spring bars.
I thought we had exhausted this but, yes you are correct you will reduce the friction in effect losing some sway control, you are not entirely correct on losing "any weight transferred", the only way you lose all of the distributed weight is if you inflate to the point where there is no tension on the bars. As long as there is tension on the bars some weight is being distributed. Not trying to be nit-picky but "loose verbiage and descriptions" is how i think we got into this mess.......

I will leave it at that and I have no more to add unless someone wants to post measurements and weight tickets then I will gladly run the vector analysis/matrix in MATLAB then we can compare the tickets to the theoretical/mathematical part for correlation of the two.

Old 04-10-2015, 05:31 PM   #39

I think of the rear end as the pivot point of a teeter totter. raising the fulcrum does nothing to change the load dynamics other than caster and headlights.
Old 04-12-2015, 02:40 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post

Your thoughts are correct. After I set up my WDH, I add air to my bags. When I do my measuring, I measure my tire to fender clearance. If I add enough air to the bags to make my rear tire/fender clearance stock, my front tire/fender clearance goes up about 1/4". This tells me that the WDH is not putting as much weight to front axle.