Old 01-14-2013, 02:00 PM   #11

prairiecamper, I bought the Firestone Ride-Rites. they seem to be the most popular.
It took about 12 hours to mount all four, but I was taking my time, and also had to work around my fifth wheel mounting brackets, as they were in the way of where the top air bag support was supposed to go.
All things considered, it was pretty simple, and the hardware supplied with the kit works well.

At first I was going to tie the air lines together for the front and rear sets, but as they didn't supply a tee to do that, I plumbed all of the bags seperately. That is probably the better solution anyway, as that eliminates any transfer of air from side-to-side.

golfmedic, I noticed you only use 45 lbs of air in the back. That should provide a nice smooth ride.
I really am looking forward to trying them out!
Darn winter!

Old 01-14-2013, 02:15 PM   #12

On my F250 I had a set of Firestone 2400 installed last Nov. I keep 60psi in there. They work well with a 5er. Amazon's prices beat Trick Trucks by over 150 dollars.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:59 PM   #13

I got mine from TruckSpring.com, very good price.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:00 PM   #14

I tossed in a set of air bags Firestone in the back of my 1 ton dually. Towing the big girl could not be nicer, and I can not imagine doing it without them. I installed them myself, make sure you have a full day set aside, you probably will have it done in a shorter time but I left room for broken bolts or drill bits etc.

Follow the directions and if unsure most places have a web site to double check, check were the mounting bolts are going to go and check before you drill holes. Run separate lines for both sides to your fill point. I located the filler connections just above and the left & right of my license plate.

5psi or there about when empty and upwards of 30 when the 5er is on depending on roads etc...

I think you will like them, if you want to go real fancy you can install the on board compressor and change the air pressure as you drive.!!!

2006 F350 6.0 with 3.73 gears, 4X4, Extra-Cab Long Box, Oil/Tranny/P.S. Coolers. Coolant filter. SCT Livewire.
2011 Cedar Creek 36RE, Auto levelers + too much to list..!
puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
golfmedic, I noticed you only use 45 lbs of air in the back. That should provide a nice smooth ride.
I really am looking forward to trying them out!
Darn winter!
Yes it does. I rigged mine up in conjunction with a Viair 10007 onboard system with the dual pneumatic control panel. I can adjust on the fly instantly. I've had as much as 55 psi in them on the interstates in SC, but generally run around 40-45 and pulls just fine. 12 psi when empty. Best mod you can ever do to a tow vehicle in my opinion!

2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air bags