Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2019, 12:49 PM   #41

What shocks did you end up putting on trailer. Never thought about that but makes sense
scocope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 02:59 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by scocope View Post
What shocks did you end up putting on trailer. Never thought about that but makes sense
In our case I decided on Monroe gas shocks. They come in different lengths. Theshockwarehouse has good info. on installation, part numbers and prices. https://www.shockwarehouse.com/news/rb511-in-stock.cfmhttps://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/mon_retrokit.cfmSomewhere, Monroe has a detailed diagram on how to mount them. You can get the Monroe shocks for $30 which isn't bad.

If you have 3" dia. axles, I'm not sure if the tie plate kit is available now. It wasn't when we bought the shocks. I used a stock tie plate and had a welding shop weld on a piece of DOM tubing for the bushing. It looks like the tie plate kit for 2 3/8" is available. For the upper bracket, I just got some flat 3/16" plate welded onto the side of the I-beam. The tie plate kit is in the photo. Our upper and lower mounts are in these photos. If your axles are over the springs, you only need one tie plate.

Our shocks are installed between the I-beam and wheel, exactly like OutdoorsRV does theirs. There are some other options to do it.

There are some other shocks/kits available like Mor/Ryde and LCI. Some don't require welding onto anything. If you need any welding, make sure to use a professional certified welder. The frame & axle shop that did ours at first (thanks to the dealer when we bought the TT) did a really poor job and one of the brackets actually peeled off the I-beam on a long trip and damaged a tire which had to be replaced. Went to another shop and had it all redone. The dealer paid for the redo and tire luckily.

Old 04-13-2019, 05:08 PM   #43

My quick reply is to state that the only thing that will alleviate squat AND transfer hitch weight to the front axle is a weight distributing hitch.
Rtrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 01:41 PM   #44

I wish they would have done that same video on a fifth wheel also. Like to see what it told. Air bags vs non air bags
Jim & peg. Jake the camper dog. RIP my friend. 01-11-2010 / 02-26-2020. 2018 flagstaff 8528ikws fifth wheel pushing 2014 f-150 eco-boost super crew. 2017 camped 14 weeks. 2018 4 months in texas. 2019 4 months in texas. 2019 21 days in michigan. 2019 2 months in arizona. 2020 4 months in arizona. U.S. Air Force Retired. 100% DAV
wanderer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 01:48 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtrower View Post
My quick reply is to state that the only thing that will alleviate squat AND transfer hitch weight to the front axle is a weight distributing hitch.
Yes it will but there can still be squat. And the manufacturers of newer trucks specify restoring only 50% back onto the steer axle.

Our F250 has noticeable squat without anything in it just sitting out in our driveway. I run close to 100% weight transfer after going through a bunch of trial and error. Still squats... Apparently that's not uncommon on the F250s.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:06 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer26 View Post
I wish they would have done that same video on a fifth wheel also. Like to see what it told. Air bags vs non air bags
We tow a 340RK and with the load we had in it I figure we had about 2200 pounds on the truck. They helped with lift but the really payoff was how fast they smoothed out the bumps. Good luck with whatever anybody chooses.
Columbus340RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:34 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer26 View Post
The video is mis-leading no comparison between air bag and WDH . they do 2 different things . no way air bags will distribute weight and there not designed for that . but used in conjunction with a good wdh they have there purpose . and carrying a loads just in a pick-up with no Trailer you can use air bags for leveling and offering a better ride lets say with a truck mounted camper , they have there purpose
and would work well with a 5th wheel
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air bags