Old 01-19-2016, 10:36 AM   #11
There is bigger problem here than just overload springs and or air bags can correct, if the bushings are wearing out unless you are talking 100s K miles personally air bags are very good but I would take the truck to a spring shop & have the spring packs rebuilt with more / heavier leaves. Overloading the truck aside.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:35 AM   #12
Air bags.. forget teh spring adjustment. does not change teh gross weight capacity but does even out the ride.

2009 Heartland Sundance 31.5 XLT bunkhouse
2013 Ford F150 XTR ECOBOOST

"Of the troops - For the troops "
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:35 PM   #13
Firestone Ride-Rites to the Rescue

We have used Firestone Ride-Rite air bags on our last 3 trucks, The RV dealer recommended Ride-Rite air bags with 60 lbs pressure to mount a slide-in camper on an '01 Ram quad cab. They did as-well-as could be expected with a top heavy slide-in. We have since sold both.

We had Ride-Rite bags on an '08 Sierra and now on a '13 Silverado to tow a 7500 lb GVW cargo trailer. Smooth, level towing at 25-40 lbs in the bags towing and 10 lbs in the bags running empty.Never a problem with the bags, never a problem with springs, and never a problem with being level or swaying.

We have blown 2 tires on the road due to road debris:
A tandem trailer tire came apart coming out of an Interstate construction zone. The trailer was loaded. We heard the tire go and saw the rubber peeling off, but that's it. To our surprise, there was no sway at all.

Road debris penetrated the sidewall on the RR tire of the Siverado with less than 400 miles. We were doing about 70 MPH. The dash indicated RR low tire pressure and we reduced speed until we could pull off. Thinking it needed air, we determined that the tire was totally flat and scrap. Again, the TV and cargo trailer held steady. Fortunately, the rim rode the flat and we didn't damage the rim.

We attribute, in part, the safe outcomes with both of the tire failures to the added stability of the air bags.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 01:24 PM   #14
Had the Airlift 3000 on my truck and changed them to the TLC (Total Load Control) System. Way better than the Airlift as far as load and control go.

Here's the link - Total Load Control
rpjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 01:31 PM   #15
You didn't say anything about rear tire problems on your friends truck. As has already been stated the air bags are great for leveling the truck and bringing the headlamps down out of the trees. They don't add any more capacity. Has your friend considered moving more weight behind the axle in the TH or better yet taking some load off altogether?
twiggw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 03:01 PM   #16
With or without air??

Originally Posted by Davidg View Post
Okay, friend of mine has a 3/4 ton pu and he is towing a fiver toy hauler that overloads the truck. Yes, he and I have had "that" discussion. He just got the truck out of the shop. Both rear spring packs had to be replaced due to worn out bushings...apparently worn into the spring. Anyway, he has asked about adding additional rear support. So I'm wanting to give him intelligent guidance as to air bags vs overload springs.

How would you advise him and why.

Thanks in advance
I will say that if it was my choice i would only use the air bags, as the air bags give you a larger amount of adjustment, as to how much weight you are carrying at what time.

With the spring overload systems they either on or off, nothing in the middle, but you must also inform your friend that using either system "DOES NOT ADD TO WEIGHT CARRYING!" it only makes it more comfortable to drive (safer also) he should look into upping the game with his truck. This is a very common issue with most everyone i have every spoken to with toy boxes, as the weight tags are "way off" and the trailer ends up being over weight for the truck towing it.

In the end Happy Camping
2010 Cedar Creek Silverback 35ts
2001 GMC 2500HD w/ Allison & 8.1
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:08 PM   #17
Air bags have issues in a few years, springs are forever.

Air bags and springs don't make your truck carry more.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Homebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:14 PM   #18
Air Lift air bags not only helped with trailer load but made my F150 4X4 ride smoother unloaded
nicholsm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:17 PM   #19
Who Dares, Wins
Used my bags on a jeep I rock crawled with when not towing the popup... Did that for years, never had a problem with airbags. I think your f150 Wil be fine for the life... LOL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2014 Greywolf 26DBH
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:03 PM   #20
TLC here I also got the onboard compressor, running 26 lbs loaded.

Ram 1500
Big Horn
Hemi 5.7 2011
Salem 30KQBSS 2012
DougP47 is offline   Reply With Quote

air bags