Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2016, 10:07 PM   #21

If you have the rear coil springs (Ram 1500) then the airbags have another benefit not related to towing or leveling, etc.

The combination of the hemi engine and no load in the bed means it doesn't take a lot of gas pedal to get the rear wheels spinning, especially on a wet road. This usually results in some aggressive wheel hopping. I put the Airlift 1000 system on mine and running 10 psi unloaded stops all that. Punch the throttle as hard as I want and the tires will break loose but don't jump up and down any more. And, like the 2500 with Airlift 5000 the highway stability is noticeably improved (with or without a trailer).
Old 01-19-2016, 11:10 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
Air bags have issues in a few years, springs are forever.

Air bags and springs don't make your truck carry more.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
So what is the difference between a 2500 and a 3500 other than the differential gear ratio? I'm told by the dealer they have the same axles, just bigger and more leaf springs. If this is so, wouldn't adding more leafs increase the max load? Confused! I have the 2500 HD Duramax with "Super Springs".
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:37 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Payload and gross rawr are established by the weakest link. We do not know what that weakest link is. It could be a tire, it could be a component in the axle, it could be a spring, it could be one thing or a combination of things. Not bring an automotive engineer I couldn't tell you but I will tell you, you will end up spending a check of a lot of money trying to band aid a 3/4 ton into a 1 ton and still not legally increase your capabilities. Not to mention it may be cheaper to trade for a used 1 ton with more capabilities.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 12:36 AM   #24
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
So what is the difference between a 2500 and a 3500 other than the differential gear ratio? I'm told by the dealer they have the same axles, just bigger and more leaf springs. If this is so, wouldn't adding more leafs increase the max load? Confused! I have the 2500 HD Duramax with "Super Springs".
If you talking gm trucks there can be several things.
First off the gears on a gm diesel are all 3.73 and have been since 2001 models. So if someone told you different they are wrong.
2nd. The last 8 of a vin is the only way to actually tell any difference on any vehicle. Thats what we have to use to order almost any parts, and also why oriellys gets it wrong so often. Really 1500, 2500 etc is more a model designation than anything. You can have so much different with the same designation, its stupid.

Things that can be different and have over the years between "2500 and 3500" gm trucks. (This is not saying that this is the case all the time on these trucks, but these differences have been notice over the years that i have been working on them)

-brakes
-front torsion bar load rating (6 or 7 different options sometimes)
-torsion key indexes
- u-joints
-max allowable wheel size from factory
-rear springs
-drive shafts
-drive shaft ends
And you can probably find more.

One thing i learned after working for years at gm dealers is, you have to go off of vin, because that nameplate on the side is useless.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:09 AM   #25

Air bags vs Springs?

Quote:

The Ride-Rite bags on our '08 Sierra were trouble free for 6 years, I took them off before trading and would have used them on the '13 Siverado. The part numbers were different. I found that the top mount hole was round on the Sierra and elongated for the Silverado. Had I known the difference, I would have elongated the hole on the old set. I was that confident that the old set would easily have gone another 6 years trouble free. It is true that airbags don't increase load capacity, but they certainly level/smooth out the load you can carry.

Overload springs may/may not be forever, but the ride is. Air bags are also adjustable for the load-springs are not adjustable. As with air bags, you have the same max load factors. That's on the door plate.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:01 AM   #26
Dutchtexan

Your freind should consider the "Torklift Quick Disconnect StableLoad" I added this to my 1/2 ton truck when I got my TT and helped even more to take some of the relieve off of my AirLift Air Bag system I already had. This site http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/news/new-gear-torklift-quick-disconnect-stableload[/URL]
Torklift Quick Disconnect StableLoad will show how it works and helps with the air bags. Super easy to install and helps to distribute the weight off of just the air bags, hope this helps.
V-nose TT w/Rear Living area, 2 slides, Equal-I-zer 4 point hitch #10000
TV: 2011 Chevy Silverado Z71 Extended Cab AirLift 1000 w/WirelessAIR
Dutchtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 06:34 PM   #27

I sent many years working on med to heavy duty trucks if his spring bushing are worn out send the truck to a spring shop have them replaced and add a leaf or two heavy duty springs. I am not a air bag fan only on large trucks and watch your tire load rating. air bags may raise the bag end for weight but no side to side stability with them
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 06:52 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareftn View Post
I sent many years working on med to heavy duty trucks if his spring bushing are worn out send the truck to a spring shop have them replaced and add a leaf or two heavy duty springs. I am not a air bag fan only on large trucks and watch your tire load rating. air bags may raise the bag end for weight but no side to side stability with them
When you say no improvement in side to side stability, are you talking about leaf springs? I know for sure that the stability increases when putting air bags inside the coils for coil spring systems.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:43 PM   #29

Air bags vs overload springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchtexan View Post
Your freind should consider the "Torklift Quick Disconnect StableLoad" I added this to my 1/2 ton truck when I got my TT and helped even more to take some of the relieve off of my AirLift Air Bag system I already had. This site http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/news/new-gear-torklift-quick-disconnect-stableload[/URL]
Torklift Quick Disconnect StableLoad will show how it works and helps with the air bags. Super easy to install and helps to distribute the weight off of just the air bags, hope this helps.

We had a Lance camper until December and our Firestone ride rite bags are still trouble free after 8 years. I only aired them until the overload spring just made contact for the best controlled ride. I was a tester for the stable load quick release and love them. I still use my airbags with but found the quick release stable loads to provide more ride improvement than just the bags did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
USMC2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:53 AM   #30

I knew a guy one time that every time he bought a new truck, it was the best one on the market. Whether it was Dodge, Ford or Chevy. Best one there was.

I don't want to be that guy. But I use the SuperSprings.

I think they work better with your suspension, they're 'progressive', they help prevent sway, they help prevent 'dolphining' and they help prevent axle wrap.

Airbags just take the weight of your rear-end and put it directly on your axle, creating a fulcrum and bypassing the torque box and underpinnings of your leaf spring suspension.

I didn't like that. So I got the SuperSprings.

But I have seen airbags work, and work well, on seriously loaded suspensions pulling seriously heavy loads.

There's a lot of people out there with airbags and a lot of people that keep going back and using them. So they must be good at what they do.

Maybe, in an HD situation, they're better suited..... Don't know that for sure. Strictly guessing.

I also know the supersprings were cheaper and I put them on myself. I could do it again in ten minutes. No lift, no taking off the tires and wheels. Just jack the rear end up and use a 6'' C-Clamp. Done.

But I leave them on all the time and don't notice any difference in ride quality. And being a guy, I'm a charter member of the 'more is better club' so I got the biggest ones......

Of course. Everybody's different

Good luck
The Big Toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 02:44 PM   #31

I have installed Ride-Rite air bags on a Dodge Ram, GMC Sierra, and a Silverado over the past 10 years. Unassisted, I have never had to take off a wheel or jack up the vehicle. I had to remove the joust bumpers because that's where the bags attached. It took longer to find my tools and route the air lines to the rear bumper than it did to install the bags. I will concede it took longer than 10 minutes, No need to take on/off. Super Springs vs Ride-Rite is about a wash in dollars on a quick check. The bag sets we bought for each of the 3 vehicles was under $300 on sale.

Porpoising and sway have not been a problem with the Lance slide in on the Ram, and towing some pretty hefty loads and stiff cross winds (our last trip was 40 mph cross winds) with the Sierra and Silverado. No matter if you use springs or bags, the weight still ends up on the axle. The bags work in concert with the springs rather than instead of.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:15 PM   #32

Yuh, porpoising.

Sometimes, my brain just lets me down
The Big Toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 05:17 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
I have installed Ride-Rite air bags on a Dodge Ram, GMC Sierra, and a Silverado over the past 10 years. Unassisted, I have never had to take off a wheel or jack up the vehicle. I had to remove the joust bumpers because that's where the bags attached. It took longer to find my tools and route the air lines to the rear bumper than it did to install the bags. I will concede it took longer than 10 minutes, No need to take on/off. Super Springs vs Ride-Rite is about a wash in dollars on a quick check. The bag sets we bought for each of the 3 vehicles was under $300 on sale.

Porpoising and sway have not been a problem with the Lance slide in on the Ram, and towing some pretty hefty loads and stiff cross winds (our last trip was 40 mph cross winds) with the Sierra and Silverado. No matter if you use springs or bags, the weight still ends up on the axle. The bags work in concert with the springs rather than instead of.

That highlighted statement sums it all up.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:44 AM   #34

Quote:

Have used mind now for 7+ years, still going strong.
2021 Sabre 37FBT
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:34 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
Have used mind now for 7+ years, still going strong.

The local installer told a couple Ford friends that the springs are better and less aggravation if not full time towing. They both said he mentioned air bags cracking if not exercised frequently. Maybe it's a brand thing, maybe it's a newer model thing. I do know rubber and compressors fail. Steel spring normally last as long as you have a truck.
Adding springs was less expensive than adding air bags.

As with all items the older stuff worked, the newer stuff is crap.

Old 01-22-2016, 07:56 PM   #36

Quote:
The local installer told a couple Ford friends that the springs are better and less aggravation if not full time towing. They both said he mentioned air bags cracking if not exercised frequently. Maybe it's a brand thing, maybe it's a newer model thing. I do know rubber and compressors fail. Steel spring normally last as long as you have a truck.
Adding springs was less expensive than adding air bags.

As with all items the older stuff worked, the newer stuff is crap.

I don't know about other brands but the AirLift springs have a lifetime warranty.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:46 AM   #37
Who Dares, Wins

Like I said.. Used my Airlift on a lifted Jeep rock-crawler then pulled a popup for years... If I did not break em they must be good... And I've broke some stuff! LOL

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:10 AM   #38

Not sure what basis this installer is using. Air bags cracking if not used frequently sounds more like muscle atrophy. Normally, UV is the biggest enemy of rubber and bags are not exposed to direct UV as are tires. Springs are subject to constant load and rust-and they also have some rubber components. Nothing is forever.
Old 01-23-2016, 10:16 AM   #39

If you were to tye both air bags to the same air line you would still get body roll as the air would travel between the air bags, but if you have seperate lines to each air bag you will greatly improve the body roll

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 04:04 PM   #40

Muddyroad, that makes perfect sense. Thank heavens I have done separate lines.

Tags
air bags