Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2015, 09:31 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
May I ask "what concerns?"
I'm in the process of purchasing a new Silverado and was looking at this system or the less expensive 25870.

When installed, did you or the installer add the X-number of ounces of Gunk Air Brake Deicer recommended by airlift? Talked with an installer here in ID and they add the deicer.

Main difference I can see between the two, is the 72000 has a larger, quieter compressor and can inflate each side separately to level side-to-side. Not sure if I need the side-to-side.
Yup I put in brakeline anti freeze in both bags. It appears that the controller is either icing up or the cold is affecting it as when it gets down to -25 and lower it starts acting up. it won't fill one or both bags and it codes out on blockage. I have checked the lines from controller to bags and that is not where the issue is. It is in the controller.
I was going to mount the compressor and controller under the hood but Airlift said no warranty if I did and mounting it above the spare tire was ok and there would be no problems.
Tried pairing it a couple times to make sure that is ok but still does it. I really like the wireless but if this keeps up I am going to put manual valve in if Air Lift doesn't warranty this.
Carrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:39 AM   #42

You have to put the anti freeze in after the compressor befor the valve.
Campingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:49 AM   #43

Another +1 for the Firestone onboard compressor. It's more pricey than the other options, but you won't think about the $ you dtropped on it--you will think, "Jeez, that's really great to be able to inflate and deflate those suckers with the touch of a button" for the next 10 years.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:31 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingnut View Post
You have to put the anti freeze in the intake of the compressor.
The instructions say to put 4 ounces in each air bag. I don't think I would want to put a liquid in the intake of a compressor.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:45 AM   #45

I changed my post it should have said after the dryer or compressor, I am so used to putting it in the air tanks of the trucks that I work on that I was not thinking, thanks for the catch. You want it to circulate through the system but it will go back into the system when you deflate the bags I think. I edited my post.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:24 AM   #46

And airlift says it needs to be topped off every winter. They just don't say how to top it off or where. Waiting for a reply.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:05 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingnut View Post
I changed my post it should have said after the dryer or compressor, I am so used to putting it in the air tanks of the trucks that I work on that I was not thinking, thanks for the catch. You want it to circulate through the system but it will go back into the system when you deflate the bags I think. I edited my post.
So you put it in the discharge line and let the liquid go through the controller? I think the idea of putting 4 ounces in each bag is when the bags are deflated a mist goes to the controller. Cause I find if I put 70 or so psi in the bags then deflate a couple of times down to 5 psi it starts to work ok for awhile.

I also put antifreeze in the discharge line of tractors that are having freeze up as most blows out the drier but some goes into the wet tank. I'm just hesitant of putting liquid through this controller as the instructions say only in the bags.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:26 PM   #48

I just got off the phone with Cody from Air lift and he said do not put liquid through the controller. What he is doing is sending me a water trap that mounts to the controller. So will try that out when I get it. I sure hope it works as I really like the 72000.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:38 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
And airlift says it needs to be topped off every winter. They just don't say how to top it off or where. Waiting for a reply.
What I use is a 2 ounce plastic syringe. Take the brass line fittings out of the bags and inject 4 ounces of antifreeze in each one. I then took a 10 inch or so piece of 1/4 inch synflex hose and put it in each bag to see where the level is. I did this a couple months ago and am going to check the level when I get the water trap from Air Lift to see if I need to put anymore in.
Not sure if there is an easier way but it is what I did.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:17 PM   #50

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
The comments about adding antifreeze got me worried because I never heard about it and began wondering if my installer added any. I looked at the Air Lift web site and it looks like some models require the antifreeze treatment and some don't. So those who read this thread and think that their air bag system needs antifreeze, check your installation manual first. Mine does not require any so I'm OK.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:45 PM   #51
Site Team

Here's the info in my paperwork.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1421109908750.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	68375  

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:57 PM   #52

I guess I will stop doing what I am doing. I just add it to the air bags.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:00 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrier View Post
I just got off the phone with Cody from Air lift and he said do not put liquid through the controller. What he is doing is sending me a water trap that mounts to the controller. So will try that out when I get it. I sure hope it works as I really like the 72000.
That is who I dealt with, he seams great to work with. Good thing I forgot to put any in this year. Plus I already have the dryer in line.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:23 PM   #54

Well Cody from Air Lift was true to his word and sent me a water trap kit no charge. And the thing that really shocked me was UPS didn't charge me an extortion fee like they usually do with things coming from the USA.

Haven't had time to install it yet but hoping it will solve some of the freezing issues I have been having. I'm still going to find an inline drier to put on as well.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:44 PM   #55

Yep that is what I got Cody seems to a very good costumer service agent

Tags
air bags