Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2015, 10:54 PM   #21

Before I had an on board system I used a bicycle pump...good ol hand pump that I had for the bikes. I was able take mine from 5 to 30ish pounds in just a few pumps.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:03 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Funny stuff.(The mechanic) So the system has a fill valve somewhere i assume.
I made a small L bracket for the air valve and bolted it under the bumper next to the trailer light plug.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:17 AM   #23

I love the one I mounted under my truck. It's wireless and easily controlled.

Amazon.com: Air Lift 25870 WirelessONE Compressor System: Automotive

It's this compressor, but I bought it from someone else and can't remember who.

2015 Sierra 32QBBS-23 nights camped since the end of June 2014
2015-sorry to say only 11 nights so far, more to come though
Shinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:45 AM   #24
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinny View Post

I think that I will get that. I like the fact that it keeps the minimum 5psi in the bags. Last winter, with all the ice, snow, and cold, I lost my air bags due to no air. Went all last year without them. I got the new ones sitting, waiting to be installed. I think I will install it with this!
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:05 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
I'm too cheap to buy the onboard compressor so I just use a $50 12v sLime compressor from Wal*Mart. I always carry it anyway.
What I currently use on my H3 and Silverado air bags, and have used it many times to inflate my H3 tires from 12 psi back to 35 psi after off-roading.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:06 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinny View Post

Can you add a separate line for inflating tires too? Or is it dedicated to the bags only?

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 01-11-2015, 11:14 AM   #27

I have had several trucks with air bags and found the onboard compressor to be by far the best way to go, I sometimes adjust the air to fit the road we are on, and it is so convenient to let the air back down after hauling a heavy load.
densal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 01:29 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrier View Post
Are you having any problems with fuse blowing when it is really cold out? I had to use a resettable circuit breaker as the fuse would pop if compressor came on especially this last few weeks. I mounted everything above the spare tire on my F150.
The only problem I have had is the Control valve went and it was replaced by Air ride, they know want an air dryer in line from compressor to control valve.
Campingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:39 PM   #29
Site Team

I have the onboard compressor with wireless remote with my airlift system. Worked great for 2 years then the manifold went out. But the compressor is a simple little 125psi portable. I also keep a 3 gallon compressor in my fiver front end near the Schrader valves on rear truck bumper. And portable one under rear seat in truck. Anything will work if it can connect and has at least 80-100 psi. Good luck.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:42 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by densal View Post
I have had several trucks with air bags and found the onboard compressor to be by far the best way to go, I sometimes adjust the air to fit the road we are on, and it is so convenient to let the air back down after hauling a heavy load.
My onboard manifold went out so I'm looking to convert it to a manual switch with gauges in the cab. Is that what you have?

Old 01-11-2015, 04:15 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
My onboard manifold went out so I'm looking to convert it to a manual switch with gauges in the cab. Is that what you have?
Did you contact Air lift they might do something for you?
Old 01-11-2015, 07:23 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingnut View Post
The only problem I have had is the Control valve went and it was replaced by Air ride, they know want an air dryer in line from compressor to control valve.
I asked them about a drier back in October when I bought the 72000 and the guy I talked to at Air Lift on the phone didn't have a clue what I was talking about. I have been looking for an in line drier so if you do find one please pm me the information.
Since I put the 15 amp circuit breaker in it works much better.
Did Air Lift send you one direct from them or did you have to go through where you bought it from?
Carrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:55 PM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Did you contact Air lift they might do something for you?
Yes. I was 2 mos out of warranty and they offered to rebuild it for $95 plus shipping. I tried to buy a new one. No longer available. Replaced by a new model. But it was worth it for those 2 years.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:10 PM   #34

Quote:
I asked them about a drier back in October when I bought the 72000 and the guy I talked to at Air Lift on the phone didn't have a clue what I was talking about. I have been looking for an in line drier so if you do find one please pm me the information.
Since I put the 15 amp circuit breaker in it works much better.
Did Air Lift send you one direct from them or did you have to go through where you bought it from?
They sent the dryer with the control valve that was replaced by Air lift themselves.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:29 PM   #35

Quote:
They sent the dryer with the control valve that was replaced by Air lift themselves.
Did it cost you anything? I must have talked to a new guy or someone who really didn't care.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:48 AM   #36

Would you believe I had to pay a deposit and shipping both ways, but in the end it was worth it. I wish I remembered the guys name.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:05 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsman411 View Post
What does anyone use to put air in their air bags? I would like to find a portable air compressor that will inflate my air bags at the campsite.
We have a 2011 F250 with 6.7 diesel that I have installed Firestone air ride on. I like to reduce the pressure after getting to the campsite so the ride is not so stiff while exploring then be able to inflate back up to move to next site.
Thanks
With my F150 the Firestone bags mount above the spring center bolts. With this I have found that unless I have between 10 to 15 psi in the bags they bottom out. I believe that on your 250 they mount inboard of the springs and you probably don't get this but still need the minimum 5 psi that Firestone recommends.
I tried the manual method using a tire pump and portable compressor but it was always a pain in the butt. You will not be sorry to install either the Firestone or Airlift compressor. You just have to decide if you want a wireless or manual valve in cab.
I have had some issues with the Airlift 72000 wireless in the winter conditions here but do not regret installing an onboard compressor.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:10 AM   #38

Quote:
Would you believe I had to pay a deposit and shipping both ways, but in the end it was worth it. I wish I remembered the guys name.
That doesn't surprise me. I am going to phone them again this week and see if I can get someone who knows what they are talking about.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:10 AM   #39

Quote:
I have had some issues with the Airlift 72000 wireless in the winter conditions here but do not regret installing an onboard compressor.
May I ask "what concerns?"
I'm in the process of purchasing a new Silverado and was looking at this system or the less expensive 25870.

When installed, did you or the installer add the X-number of ounces of Gunk Air Brake Deicer recommended by airlift? Talked with an installer here in ID and they add the deicer.

Main difference I can see between the two, is the 72000 has a larger, quieter compressor and can inflate each side separately to level side-to-side. Not sure if I need the side-to-side.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:20 AM   #40

I always add air line antifreeze to mine before winter.

Tags
air bags