Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2013, 06:05 PM   #1
Owner/Operator

Air Ride 5th Wheel Hitch

I've found, after much research and communication, that there is not a Trail-Air Tri-Glide Pin Box available for the Rockwood Ultra Lite 5th wheels because the existing Pin Box is a special build for that 5th wheel and is only 10" wide.

The alternative is an Air Ride 5th Wheel Hitch for the truck, which is a 2008 RAM 3500 Cab & Chassis with a Hauler Bed.

Height of the hitch must be in the vicinity of 11", and the TrailerSaver TSLB2H meets the requirements.

My question, before proceeding with a purchase, is does anyone know of another Air Ride 5th Wheel Hitch that might meet the requirement?

RodeoGeorge
All My Modifications are at this link:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Here's a link to a list of other air ride hitches... Air Ride Hitches - Air Ride Pin

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:36 PM   #3
Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
Here's a link to a list of other air ride hitches... Air Ride Hitches - Air Ride Pin

Dave
Thanks Dave.

I've sent inquiries to Mountain Master and Air Safe.

I'll make sure I'm sitting down when I read the prices. LOL

RodeoGeorge
Old 08-05-2013, 01:59 PM   #4
Owner/Operator

It appears that any existing Air Ride 5th Wheel Hitches that can meet my height requirement of 11" are those designed for Medium and Heavy Duty Trucks, run in the 32K capacity range, and are in the $3k+ range.

AirSafe offers hitches in 10K and 16K capacities, however their normal height is 14-18" when installed.

I am communicating with AirSafe to determine the height of the main unit, and if I can mount their main unit without the arms by attaching a plate to the bottom. It appears that the arms (which are used to mount the unit to standard rails) may be adding the additional height that I need to reduce.

If I proceed with an AirSafe modification project, I'll post the method used with pictures.

RodeoGeorge
Old 08-06-2013, 11:43 PM   #5
Owner/Operator

I've investigated the AirSafe, Mountain Master, Hitch Crafter, and TrailerSaver. Here's what I found.

In communicating with AirSafe, my statements regarding mounting their hitch directly to the Hauler Bed met immediately with a "that will void the warranty". It was also like pulling hen's teeth getting the dimensions I needed for their hitch, which eliminated it due to its height.

The Mountain Master (air-hitch.com) also came in with a 15" height, which far exceeded my 11" requirement. This is a shame, as it has some excellent features and is about $1000 less than the remaining two hitches.

The Hitch Crafter was very close to the height requirement (11.5") when mounted without rails, and is slightly less expensive ($500) than the Trailer Saver, however there is little literature available. It took three requests to obtain a mounting hole diagram for the base, which when sent to me in a CAD format did not have dimensions. Another negative on this hitch was the exposure of the air bags. It was the top contender until today. Also their solution to a mounting into the gooseneck turnover ball receiver would have resulted in at least 1/4" of vertical play/bounce which is unacceptable.

I received a call from Trailer Saver (trailersaver.com) today. The technician (yes, technician not salesman) informed me that I had contacted one of the Retailers that sells their hitch, and my inquiry was forwarded to the Trailer Saver Company since I was out of the service area of the Retailer. I spent well over an hour on the phone, explaining my requirements and discussing how they can be met. I was immediately emailed additional pictures of options (shocks which are recommended for a pin weight as light as the Rockwood to prevent excessive bounce) while we talked on the phone. While this will wind up being the most expensive air ride hitch, it will be tailored for my application and installation, and will include a built-in compressor with cab mounted controls, as well as a fitted cover. While not completely enclosed, the air bags on this hitch are well protected. Also the TrailerSaver is a Hensley product, which says a lot for the manufacturer.

I am at the point where the "you get what you pay for" philosophy is taking over, and I'm fairly certain that after the next Rodeo I will be ordering the TrailerSaver.

RodeoGeorge
Old 08-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #6

I had a reese standard 5th wheel hitch. After driving semis for over 30 yrs I couldnt believe all the chucking and general shakeing and bouncing I had to deal with when towing a 5er. I bought a trailer saver hitch and it was a day and nite difference. It handled and towed like a semi trl. They are expensive but worth it Your trl truck and wife will thank you.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, hitch, wheel