Old 08-09-2011, 04:15 PM   #11

The GVWR on my 2005 tundra is 7800

Old 08-09-2011, 04:38 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadMan View Post
The GVWR on my 2005 tundra is 7800
Are you sure that is the GVWR or the maximum tow rating ??? The figures that I come up from the web on a 2005 Tundra SR5 Double Cab are 6600 lbs. The GVWR should be listed on the drivers side door.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy

Are you sure that is the GVWR or the maximum tow rating ??? The figures that I come up from the web on a 2005 Tundra SR5 Double Cab are 6600 lbs. The GVWR should be listed on the drivers side door.
I will check when I get home. What problems can occur if I am towing more than I should?
Old 08-09-2011, 07:25 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadMan View Post
I will check when I get home. What problems can occur if I am towing more than I should?
Let's see what figures you have 1st.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:28 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

To some following this thread, I have moved some posts concerning air bags on TVs pulling 5th wheels to a separate thread, to keep this thread more in line with air bags on tow vehicles pulling bumper pull trailer.

The other thread is here: TV Air Bags for 5th Wheels....Moved from parallel thread

Old 08-10-2011, 01:45 AM   #16

I checked on the GVWR and you were right, it is 6600lbs. I don't know where I got the 7800lbs number from. I do have the Stealth SS1812. I have a 2010 Ranger RZRs that I load in it or 2 quads that I load in it. What is the trouble if I over load the trailer? The trailers dry weight is 4240 so I think when I load water and the RZR, plus food and cloths I am pretty close, if not over, the weight rating.

I have pulled the trailer over 14,000 miles in the last 2 years so I am not too worried but this is my first trailer so is there anything I should be particularly concerned with or watch out for?
Old 08-10-2011, 08:18 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

The GVWR of 6600 lbs may not be a concern if you load your truck lite. I think the 2005 Tundras were the smaller size, and may not weight as much initially.

You need to find your actual tow rating for the truck that you have. You can probably call your dealer, give him your VIN, and he may be able to tell you the rating. Cab/bed configuration, engine, transmission, final drive ratio, and tow package options all figure in on the towing capacity.

Next, you need to make a couple of trips across some scales to see if you are within all of your limits. A pass without the trailer hooked up, weighing both truck axles is needed. Then a pass with the trailer hooked up, again weighing the front truck axle, both axles, the total of truck and trailer, and then just the trailer axles. Make another pass without the WDH hooked up, again weighing the axles and the total. These figures can give you all sorts of good information, and also let you know if your WDH is setup properly.

A CAT scale can give you these figures by weighing each axle separately. If you use the local quarry scales, you will need to record the figures as you weigh them....many quarry scales have electronic readouts that you can read from the drivers seat. If you use the local quarry, go in and get permission from the weigh clerk 1st, along with instructions.