Old 03-10-2012, 11:16 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by transamz9 View Post
Sounds like a Ford ad.

If you are so confident about the Ford rear springs, put you a roll of wire in the bed and run the track they did in the Dodge. Notice they didn't show the Ford running it.
Here you go. It's a longer video that shows other tests but if you want to "fast forward" it to about 5'30" thru about 7'45" you can see all of the brands go through the payload stability test. It is obviously Ford advertising and some of the language is therefore "unfortunate and slanted" but some of the tests are interesting and perhaps informative. Whether you buy into it or not is of course up to you. I suppose we should get back to the actual topic by the OP here! Sorry for the side-track.

1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:21 PM   #22

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmall View Post
since the concerns of safety was brought up, i checked with the manufacturer regarding the safety aspects associated with using a single fill line or independent air lines.

ok, firestone technician said that as far roll you won't even notice it. He said you have to remember you're not driving a nascar vehicle and you're in a 1/2, 3/4 or 1 ton truck. You're not putting your suspension into that drastic of a lean at very high speeds which would likely to induce weight rolling. He further said that while towing especially with a fifth wheel the weight of the trailer is somewhat isolated and it pivots at the pin/fifth wheel receiver and not distributed that unevenly from one side to another. He also said they do not recommend the single line on trucks that are hauling an in the bed large camper. He said sometimes the weight of these campers tend to be heavier on one side and could lean toward the heavy side, so the independent line to fill the heavy side up is used.
he said that he fields many calls like this one from members on forums think you're going to get an large volume of air escaping from one bag to the other with a single line utilizing the t.

so basically i am not worried about it one bit. However, everyone has their own opinions and that's fine. If you feel better running two lines, and it makes you feel safer, then run the second line.
i agree totally as i drive a big rig and air suspension
is all controlled by one line and have never seen more
than one pressure regulator to ajust the air.

Mark And Libby
2011 F-350 4X4 Super Crew
2015 Cedar Creek 38FB2
Brampton ON.
Rest and Relax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:41 PM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmall View Post
He also said they do not recommend the single line on trucks that are hauling an in the bed large camper. He said sometimes the weight of these campers tend to be heavier on one side and could lean toward the heavy side, so the independent line to fill the heavy side up is used.
But doesn't this kind of support Crocus's point? When conditions get more extreme there could be a reaction between the 2 sides? This may actually be a bigger concern for a slide in camper with a high center of gravity than it would be for a 5th wheel? Probably not normally a worry but maybe in an emergency maneuver?
Red Green coffee mugs
Old 03-10-2012, 11:53 PM   #24

This was a reply from someone else regarding the single line running both air bags. "I think one of the things you need to keep in mind is that this is a secondary system is as such is not going to experiance as much of a issue with air moving side to side."

Bill
2008 GMC Duramx-2500HD 4x4 CrewCab
52 Gallon Titan Fuel Tank
Reese18K Signature Series 5th Wheel Hitch With Slider #30085
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS (West Coast Model)
bsmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:01 AM   #25

Didn't mean to start a "my hose is better than your hose" debate!
I am a structural engineer, and we tend to always lean towards the side of caution. Occupational hazard!
Old 03-11-2012, 12:14 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
Didn't mean to start a "my hose is better than your hose" debate!
I am a structural engineer, and we tend to always lean towards the side of caution. Occupational hazard!
I didn't take it that you started anything Crocus, all opinions are good with me. That's what makes these kind of sites so great.

Bill
2008 GMC Duramx-2500HD 4x4 CrewCab
52 Gallon Titan Fuel Tank
Reese18K Signature Series 5th Wheel Hitch With Slider #30085
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS (West Coast Model)
bsmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:14 AM   #27

I am putting bags under my '05 Ram but I am going totally air. I will not have steel springs at all. The system I'm going with has a valve for each bag. I'm doing the install right now so can't give you any opinions yet.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:22 AM   #28

transam, I assume you realise that if you cut an air bag you will have no suspension at all?
Old 03-11-2012, 10:50 AM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by transamz9 View Post
I am putting bags under my '05 Ram but I am going totally air. I will not have steel springs at all. The system I'm going with has a valve for each bag. I'm doing the install right now so can't give you any opinions yet.
Is that something you are having fabricated? Or is there a kit manufacturer out there doing that?
Red Green coffee mugs
Old 03-11-2012, 11:05 AM   #30
flyfishn

Air Bags

Air Bags can be rated for over 5000 lbs, and are adjustable (giving you the correct height when loaded, and can be deflated when not under load) ie. Firestone 'Ride Rites'
Air Bags with HD gas shocks (ie Bilstien, or Rancho 9000XL) will also help with handling. I have used Rancho 9000XL on my previous Dodge and loved them. The ranchos are also adjustable according to loads on the rear. The ranchos were the best upgrades for handling on my previous Dodge. Both will help your Dodge 1500 You may want to add some Super Springs also (They only engage under heavy load so you have a softer ride when not under load).

Prodigy P2 Blue Ox Sway Pro
gtkato is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air bags