Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #1

air shocks or air bags

hauling wildcat 5er with 09 dodge 1500 wildcat weight 8500 would air shocks or air bags help with the suspension
ypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:37 PM   #2

Exclamation

Air bags will help your suspension but does not change your weight rating!
Rest and Relax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:25 PM   #3

Yep that 5er loaded ready to roll is probably over your 1/2 ton trucks tow rating .The HEMI and transmission will pull it without an issue it's the trucks frame,suspension,axles,brakes that are being pushed beyond it's limits. Any of the true to form 1/2 ton towable 5er's are gonna be more in the 6700# area dry. As stated above airbags will help level the ride I have them in my Ram 1500. Another option is Timbrens wich are basically a heavy duty set of rubber stoppers in place of bags.
Nights camped in 2014 = 19
(2013 = 36)
(2012 = 42)
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:05 PM   #4

In response to the actual question..they will both provide less squat....air bags are a more permanent non cheesy solution. Disclosure statement: do not exceed trucks ratings!
2004 Explorer 4.6 awd (16 year old daughters car)
2009 Mazda 6 (wife's ride)
Bunkfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:14 PM   #5
Campfire Master

Stay with the air bags. The shock mounts may not take the extra strain.

John
AVid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:14 PM   #6

In my opinion air bags are much better option than the air shocks. They will definatley help your ride height.
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:39 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ypop View Post
hauling wildcat 5er with 09 dodge 1500 wildcat weight 8500 would air shocks or air bags help with the suspension
neither will help if your Dodge is overloaded.
you haven't provided enough info.
what year and model is your Wildcat and is the 8500lbs. the fictional brochure "dry" weight or its actual factory sticker weight?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:43 PM   #8

Shock mounts are not designed to haul loads! Air shocks should be banned in my opinion.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:26 AM   #9

A third (or maybe second with that last post) option should be helper springs. Most bolt on top of your current set of leafs and it is not to hard of a job for a do it your selfer.
wneise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:36 AM   #10
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wneise View Post
A third (or maybe second with that last post) option should be helper springs. Most bolt on top of your current set of leafs and it is not to hard of a job for a do it your selfer.
N/A - the 09 Dodge half-tons are sprung with coils.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:22 PM   #11

Well I spent the better part of the day installing the air bags. I just took my time and everything fit just perfect. Then routing the air lines was time consuming. I thought it out real well keeping it as far as I could from the exhaust system. Also trying to find the best route to keep the lines from any possible kinking. I think running the lines took as long to do as to install the air bags.
After everything was completed I tested the system with no leaks at any of the fittings.
I think I am really going to love this mod for towing.

Bill
2020 GMC Duramax-3500HD 4x4 CrewCab
B&W Companion 25K Fifth Wheel Hitch
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS (West Coast Model)
56 Gallon Titan Tank
bsmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #12

go with the bags, big rigs don't have bags for nothing. bags will work awesome and soften your ride overall
RollingDownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:49 AM   #13

Forgot that fact. That was one of the reasons I didn't consider Dodge after I saw this.

Did you get that paper in your glove box?
wneise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #14

One thing about using airbags, do not tee them off of one air line. The bags should not be connected in any way, as that actually increases the roll forces if you get in a tough situation.
Let me explain. Say you have to make a hard right hand turn, and the weight shifts to the driver's side of the truck. That increases the pressure in that air bag, so if it is connected to the other bag, air will move to the passenger side and actually push up on the frame, thus increasing the roll, and potentially getting you in a heck of a lot of trouble.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:42 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
One thing about using airbags, do not tee them off of one air line. The bags should not be connected in any way, as that actually increases the roll forces if you get in a tough situation.
Let me explain. Say you have to make a hard right hand turn, and the weight shifts to the driver's side of the truck. That increases the pressure in that air bag, so if it is connected to the other bag, air will move to the passenger side and actually push up on the frame, thus increasing the roll, and potentially getting you in a heck of a lot of trouble.
Yes, that air has to go somewhere.

2011 Prime Time Tracer 3000BHS
2007 Ford Expedition
Reese Dual Cam HP Hitch
Nights Camped 2015-5 in TT
DF5.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:55 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
Wow! I never would have thought about that! Awesome information Crocus!
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:30 PM   #17

I put air bags on my 08 ram. Alot of guys around here do it. I pulled without them and thought it was a little soft and the bags fixed that. I know it does nothing to help my weight ratings but it does help the ride.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:46 PM   #18

I have air bags on my lowrider and I run an air line to each bag, also if your not using them alot (filling and draining), try and drain your air tank frequently due a moisture build up. Plus depending where you live, the moisture could freeze in the air lines. Also, run seperate air guages for each bag as well, this will give you an accurate reading on the PSI on each bag.
RollingDownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wneise View Post
Forgot that fact. That was one of the reasons I didn't consider Dodge after I saw this.

Did you get that paper in your glove box?
Sounds like a Ford ad.

If you are so confident about the Ford rear springs, put you a roll of wire in the bed and run the track they did in the Dodge. Notice they didn't show the Ford running it.
transamz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:11 PM   #20

Since the concerns of safety was brought up, I checked with the manufacturer regarding the safety aspects associated with using a single fill line or independent air lines.

Ok, Firestone technician said that as far roll you won't even notice it. He said you have to remember you're not driving a Nascar vehicle and you're in a 1/2, 3/4 or 1 ton truck. You're not putting your suspension into that drastic of a lean at very high speeds which would likely to induce weight rolling. He further said that while towing especially with a fifth wheel the weight of the trailer is somewhat isolated and it pivots at the pin/fifth wheel receiver and not distributed that unevenly from one side to another. He also said they do not recommend the single line on trucks that are hauling an in the bed large camper. He said sometimes the weight of these campers tend to be heavier on one side and could lean toward the heavy side, so the independent line to fill the heavy side up is used.
He said that he fields many calls like this one from members on forums think you're going to get an large volume of air escaping from one bag to the other with a single line utilizing the T.

So basically I am not worried about it one bit. However, everyone has their own opinions and that's fine. If you feel better running two lines, and it makes you feel safer, then run the second line.

Bill
2020 GMC Duramax-3500HD 4x4 CrewCab
B&W Companion 25K Fifth Wheel Hitch
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS (West Coast Model)
56 Gallon Titan Tank
bsmall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air bags