Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2019, 02:11 PM   #1

Air Suspension for RAM 3500

We in the process of updated our tow vehicle to a RAM 3500 4X2 Crew SB SRW. We will be towing a 16K 5th Wheel.

I am still on the fence about getting the optional Auto levelling Air suspension. What other benefits beyond the load leveling will I likely see. (Stability, chucking, etc.).

I'm also a little concerned a failure mode that might put me in a bottomed out unsafe driving situation. Also what kind of routine maintenance if any is required.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Air Suspension.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	195388  
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 03:01 PM   #2

My understanding is that it has normal leaf springs for a lighter truck.

The air springs are old technology and simply add to the support of payload. These are used rather than the typical overload leaf springs on a 3500.

So then when there is no load it rides less rough than a 3500. How much is a good question. I will order it on our next tow vehicle.

Especially for folks who do not drive a lot of miles not towing or with high payloads all the time.

We towed almost 50% of the time last year. Guess that means we should have it. Although the main driver of our Ram, the DW, does not care about the ride. She is a truck person. Bring on the 5500!
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3500, 500, suspension