Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2012, 11:43 PM   #1

Airbags on DRW?

Anyone running airbags in a F350 (or similar) DRW? I actually had installed a set of RideRites in my F250 SRW short-bed and it made a tremendous difference in the ride when loaded. Thinking about getting a set for my 350 DRW, however thought I might check and see if anyone else here is running them and what difference, if any, it makes.

Unfortunately, even though I removed them on my 250 before selling my previous truck, the ones needed for the 350 are different due to under-bed rail system (bummer) so I'm going to have to shell out the money for them if I decide to go that route.
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:50 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Not that no one has but never seen bags on a drw.
Got um on my 2500 srw and love um.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:56 PM   #3

I haven't either, but like you I loved them on my SRW. Didn't know if they have the same impact on the DRW.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:16 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCCowboy
I haven't either, but like you I loved them on my SRW. Didn't know if they have the same impact on the DRW.
Not sure either but would be curious to hear from someone who has.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:10 AM   #5

2010 F350 CC/long bed DRW here dragging a 2013 38' Toy Hauler 5er. Only had the 5er for 3 months so I've only got about 1100 miles towing it. Haven't had any problems with the ride even with two Harley's in the back. Of course, the roads around here (SE Virginia) will cause ANY vehicle ride problems, but in general, I don't feel a need for air bags or air pin box.

2013 Puma Unleashed 351THSS Toy Hauler
2010 F350 Lariat DRW 6.4L PowerStroke w/4.10
2003 Harley Heritage Classic Softail - Stage 2 (the Toy)
wa9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:08 AM   #6

Yes I have airbags on my DRW! I put them on just to try and see if they made a difference. I pull a 15k 5er and was just curious. I put them on and it made a world of difference. most all of the bouncing caused by 5ers is gone! When on uneven roads, I put a little more air in and the chucking goes away. I liked them so much I even put a Viair 10007 onboard air system on it.(write up on rv.net and FTE). Funny thing is, it helped the 'empty' ride as well with about 12psi in the bags. On the road usually around 30-35 psi to keep things very smooth. No more harshness to the ride. I know that harshness is subjective, but I won't ever tow heavy again without them. The suspension components such as springs will last longer and not get fatigued so quickly either. As stated above, I can adjust mine on the fly which is incredibly nice due to changing road conditions. Much more stable of a ride, even with dual rear wheels. I once was skeptical too, but I gave it a shot and haven't looked back!
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmedik
Yes I have airbags on my DRW! I put them on just to try and see if they made a difference. I pull a 15k 5er and was just curious. I put them on and it made a world of difference. most all of the bouncing caused by 5ers is gone! When on uneven roads, I put a little more air in and the chucking goes away. I liked them so much I even put a Viair 10007 onboard air system on it.(write up on rv.net and FTE). Funny thing is, it helped the 'empty' ride as well with about 12psi in the bags. On the road usually around 30-35 psi to keep things very smooth. No more harshness to the ride. I know that harshness is subjective, but I won't ever tow heavy again without them. The suspension components such as springs will last longer and not get fatigued so quickly either. As stated above, I can adjust mine on the fly which is incredibly nice due to changing road conditions. Much more stable of a ride, even with dual rear wheels. I once was skeptical too, but I gave it a shot and haven't looked back!
Exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. Sounds like they have the same impact as on my SRW. I also have the on board compressor (Firestone with dual control) from my old truck. I agree that it was great to have the ability for in-cab on the fly adjustments.

Thanks!

Tags
airbags