Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2011, 04:25 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
M109Rrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Chesapeake, Va
Posts: 879
Need them? Probably not..... Would they make it ride nicer? Absolutely. I didn't "need" them for our Crusader, I could have removed the leveling kit from the truck and it would sit close to level with the camper connected. Instead I decided on air bags to bring the back end up and level the truck out....which they do perfectly. I've only towed once since installing the bags and I will say the ride is phenomenal. I'm glad I did it and would recommend regardless if you thought you need them or not.
__________________

__________________

Jason and Billie
2005 Dodge Ram 2500, 4X4, QC/SB 5.9L Cummins
15k non-sliding Hidden Hitch (they lied, it's not hidden at all)
2011 Prime Time Crusader 320RLT
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:51 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
grhodes50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern Oklahoma, USA
Posts: 2,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by M109Rrider View Post
Need them? Probably not..... Would they make it ride nicer? Absolutely. I didn't "need" them for our Crusader, I could have removed the leveling kit from the truck and it would sit close to level with the camper connected. Instead I decided on air bags to bring the back end up and level the truck out....which they do perfectly. I've only towed once since installing the bags and I will say the ride is phenomenal. I'm glad I did it and would recommend regardless if you thought you need them or not.
Since you have 5'er I can understand your point, but with a tt using a wd hitch that's properly set up, weight will be shifted to the front axle and it will also raise the rear leveling out the tv.
As far as the ride goes, my F-250 rides better with the tt hooked up!
__________________

__________________

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2017 Nights Camped - 4
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:03 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
M109Rrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Chesapeake, Va
Posts: 879
Your right gary, for some reason I thought he had a 1/2 ton truck. I pulled a 7k tt with a 1500 dodge and a 2500 dodge. The tt on the 2500 felt like the 5er does now with air bags. The 1500 with the tt felt a lot like the 2500 with the 5er with out bags. Make sense?
__________________

Jason and Billie
2005 Dodge Ram 2500, 4X4, QC/SB 5.9L Cummins
15k non-sliding Hidden Hitch (they lied, it's not hidden at all)
2011 Prime Time Crusader 320RLT
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:16 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50

I would think the 1200/12000 hitch would be more than enough. Since your tt's GVWR is 10,865 lbs and according to the dry weights you have a tongue weight of approx 11.5%, the most your tongue weight should ever be is approx 1,250 lbs. That's if you were maxed out on your tt's CCC, which I doubt you would ever load 4,662 lbs. in your tt.

I haven't experienced it, but I've been told that if you have too heavy of spring bars it could put more stress on the tt's A frame which may result to damage of the tt's A frame.

Maybe someone else has heard of this as well?

You might want to check into that just in case what I was told was correct.

P.S. I just sent a message to Equal-i-zer asking them. I'll post what they have to say as soon as they let me know.
Did you hear anything?
The dealer told me they ordered the 1400 they should be able to return if needed.

Thanks,
Al
__________________
ALMcKinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:21 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
grhodes50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern Oklahoma, USA
Posts: 2,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMcKinney View Post
Did you hear anything?
The dealer told me they ordered the 1400 they should be able to return if needed.

Thanks,
Al
Haven't heard anything yet. I'll try giving them a call in the morning.
__________________

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2017 Nights Camped - 4
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:32 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
Haven't heard anything yet. I'll try giving them a call in the morning.

No need, I call them this evening and talked with customer service and they said the 1200 would work but recommended the 1400 and said there would not be any ill effects.

Great customer service they walked me through weight, GVWR, etc to make a decission and then told me to callback anytime if I had questions.


Thanks,
Al
__________________
ALMcKinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:10 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
grhodes50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern Oklahoma, USA
Posts: 2,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMcKinney View Post
No need, I call them this evening and talked with customer service and they said the 1200 would work but recommended the 1400 and said there would not be any ill effects.

Great customer service they walked me through weight, GVWR, etc to make a decission and then told me to callback anytime if I had questions.


Thanks,
Al
That's good to hear. I wasn't sure about what I had heard and it's always best to get the info from the manufacturer.
__________________

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2017 Nights Camped - 4
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:51 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
Posts: 487
If your going to load the bed with heavy stuff while camping. You may want to get Air bags. If your not carrying much in the truck bed,no air bags needed. Im adding some because I'll carry a Polaris RZR in the bed now and then plus pulling the TT. You just want to be sure you dont over load the rear axle. You'll want to check on a CAT scale to be sure. Dont believe it'll hurt anything because all they are replacing are the bump stops on the frame over the axle's. They dont how ever raise the load limits of the axle.
__________________
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:52 PM   #19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Doylestown, PA
Posts: 2
What are you trying to defeat? The saggy rear end? Then get air bags.

Porpoising? Then replace your shocks with Bilsteins... the cheesy factory ones arent any good for hauling.

If you dont have a saggy rear end and you arent porposing, then dont do anything and run it as is.

But then again, air bags havent hurt anyone, so put em on anyways!!!
__________________
Lad79der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:00 AM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Doylestown, PA
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lad79der View Post
What are you trying to defeat? The saggy rear end? Then get air bags.

Porpoising? Then replace your shocks with Bilsteins... the cheesy factory ones arent any good for hauling.

If you dont have a saggy rear end and you arent porposing, then dont do anything and run it as is.

But then again, air bags havent hurt anyone, so put em on anyways!!!
I agree... a good set of shocks will help with the bouncing effect.
__________________

__________________
2007 Cherokee 28A+
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 CTD 6spd 4x4 Quad Cab
www.dogandtrailer.com
DogandTrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
airbags

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:49 PM.