Old 03-31-2016, 11:03 AM   #1

Airlift load level 5000

I just had this air bag system installed on my truck and need some advice from anybody who is using airbags. Do you level your truck with your airbags when you hook up the trailer first and then put your wdh bars on?
For a Rockwood Windjammer 3008 that weighs probably close to eight thousand pounds how much air do you think I should have to run in the airbags?

Old 03-31-2016, 11:12 AM   #2

i fill mine after being totally hooked up . 20psi does it for me

Old 04-02-2016, 08:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
i fill mine after being totally hooked up . 20psi does it for me
Ditto
2007 Dodge 2500 CDT QCSB/Blue Ox Sway Pro 1500lb WDH, Maxxis 8008 225 x 75 x15 LR E tires/J T Strongarms
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:24 PM   #4

The age old dilemma: Pump up the bags before or after hooked up to the WD hitch.

Not to be snooty but you really shouldn't need air bags with a properly set up WD hitch. If the rig is too low after setting up, pumping up the bags takes weight off the WD bars and puts more of it back on the truck and the hitch itself. Thus, its defeating the purpose of the WD hitch.

If you must use the bags, I'd say pump up the bags first, then set up the hitch. At least that way, the whole WD setup is working more like its supposed to without anything interfering with the process.

Former Forest River Campers:
2004 Puma 30FQSS
2010 Sabre 31QBDS
2014 Work & Play 30WRS
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:05 PM   #5
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFX450RXC View Post
The age old dilemma: Pump up the bags before or after hooked up to the WD hitch.

Not to be snooty but you really shouldn't need air bags with a properly set up WD hitch. If the rig is too low after setting up, pumping up the bags takes weight off the WD bars and puts more of it back on the truck and the hitch itself. Thus, its defeating the purpose of the WD hitch.

If you must use the bags, I'd say pump up the bags first, then set up the hitch. At least that way, the whole WD setup is working more like its supposed to without anything interfering with the process.

I talked to both Equalizer and Blue Ox while researching the WD hitches. Both said to inflate the bags prior to setting up the hitch.

AND, with a properly set up hitch they may or may not be needed, but I know there is a definite increase in "side-to-side" stability with just a little bit of air pressure, especially with coil springs in the rear. Even if I get a truck which will not be used to pull a trailer it will definitely get the airbags added.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:19 AM   #6

The reason I put the airbags on the truck was because they're supposed to help stabilize the truck and help regain steering stabilization by putting more weight on the front of the truck. I haven't pulled with them yet but I'm sure when I do pull the trailer I'm going to see a difference.
Old 04-03-2016, 12:33 PM   #7

I agree 100% if we're talking about a fifth wheel setup. But the whole purpose of a WD hitch is to take the weight off the tongue and the hitch and put it toward the front of the truck and rear of the camper.

That's achieved by the tension on the bars. The more tension you place on the WD bars, the more weight transferred to the front of the truck. When you set up the hitch and then pump up the air bags, you're reducing tension on the bars. As soon as you reduce tension on the bars, weight starts to transfer back to the truck's hitch.

You don't see it because the truck is sitting on the air bags. But your truck's hitch knows it. Your truck's hitch has a weight rating for load bearing and with a WD hitch. That's where you start crossing the line if you pump up the bags and reduce the weight on your WD bars.

If you really like this setup with air bags and your WD hitch, get a Curt class 5 hitch from etrailer. The tongue weight rating is over 2000 lbs. so no matter what you do, you're highly unlikely to exceed the rating of your hitch. The hitch is only a few hundred dollars and not hard to install.

Former Forest River Campers:
2004 Puma 30FQSS
2010 Sabre 31QBDS
2014 Work & Play 30WRS
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 01:26 PM   #8
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFX450RXC View Post
I agree 100% if we're talking about a fifth wheel setup. But the whole purpose of a WD hitch is to take the weight off the tongue and the hitch and put it toward the front of the truck and rear of the camper.

That's achieved by the tension on the bars. The more tension you place on the WD bars, the more weight transferred to the front of the truck. When you set up the hitch and then pump up the air bags, you're reducing tension on the bars. As soon as you reduce tension on the bars, weight starts to transfer back to the truck's hitch.

You don't see it because the truck is sitting on the air bags. But your truck's hitch knows it. Your truck's hitch has a weight rating for load bearing and with a WD hitch. That's where you start crossing the line if you pump up the bags and reduce the weight on your WD bars.

If you really like this setup with air bags and your WD hitch, get a Curt class 5 hitch from etrailer. The tongue weight rating is over 2000 lbs. so no matter what you do, you're highly unlikely to exceed the rating of your hitch. The hitch is only a few hundred dollars and not hard to install.
Good points...but the receiver hitch and the WD system doesn't have a clue as to whether or not there are air bags. The problem comes up if you change the pressure in the air bags after you have the WD set up. And, according to Equalizer the airbags should be set to the desired position before hooking up.

You would get the same effect on the WD setup if you hooked it up properly and then loaded 3-400 pounds of firewood in the truck bed. Or, if you removed that weight from the truck. The hitch doesn't know if the change was due to airbag pressure change or weight change of stuff loaded in the truck. The result is the same...the WD could possibly have an incorrect setup after that happens.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 02:02 PM   #9

I have the same air bags on my truck left over from my truck camper. I didn't think about them when I picked up the TT. I keep them at 10psi when I don't have the truck camper on and that was the psi when the Equalizer was setup. It seems to be fine at my normal, "around town" setting of 10psi, which is great, since I don't need to pump them up or deflate them when using the TT.

2010 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Diesel, Front Hitch, Air Lift 5000 Rear Air Bags, (not really used, left over from our truck camper). Equalizer E4 1.4k/14k WD Hitch. TST 507 TPMS. Furrion FOS48TA Observation Camera. Garmin RV-760 GPS. Honda 2000i Genny, PI EMS-PT30C.

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags