Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2019, 09:29 AM   #41

In North Carolina the weighted tag covers the entire weight of the truck, including anything it is carrying. Towing? RV weight is exempt! If your max weight on the truck is 10,000#'s and the RV is also 10,000#'s, you only need a 10,000# tag. I know this with 100% confidence. I had a tag that covered both the truck and RV. I changed the weight on the tag to cover just the truck and the DMV actually sent me a refund. I did a search of the NC license plate requirements and discovered that RV towing weight is exempt.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:38 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
The proof is on your door jam from the Manf and required by DOT already.
The weight document is for commercial/business vehicles and as usual most of the people at tag and title office don't have a clue.

Usually the rated or door plates states the maximum weight recommended, this does not reflect someone overloading the vehicle or what the vehicle actually weighs going down the street.
garyhopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:45 AM   #43

Correct. Also the RV weight exemption is just that, RV only. A utility trailer, motorcycle trailer etc. would need to be included in your tag weight.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:51 AM   #44

Does it apply to RV passing through?
Kennypatrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:16 AM   #45

Just got this online, not a legal item but good description for NC that is.

Q. When towing a personal travel trailer by a 2500hd Chevrolet Silverado truck, do you need weighted license plates in North Carolina?
A. No. Campers are basically exempt from the rules governing weighted tags in North Carolina.
It’s actually a common question. Information about the rules for weighted tags isn’t easy to find, and plenty of boat and trailer owners have questions.
After talking with the N.C. Department of Motor Vehicles and state highway patrol, we’ve assembled these general guidelines.
In North Carolina, a vehicle that is towing anything other than a recreational vehicle (such as a pull-along camper) is required to have a weighted plate when towing. If you are pulling a camper, you don’t need a weighted plate. But you’ll probably need one if you are pulling a utility trailer or boat trailer, depending on the weight.
The rules generally apply to trucks. If you can pull your trailer with a large car or SUV, you won’t need a weighted tag.
All trailers in North Carolina must have some form of plate on the trailer itself. The weighted tag needs to be on the truck.
Private, noncommercial pickup trucks, registered with regular “First in Flight”-type license tags, may trailer a combined total load of up to 9,000 pounds. If the total is heavier, a weighted license tag is required with enough capacity to cover the entire combined load of the truck, anything carried in the bed of the truck, the passengers of the truck, the trailer and whatever is being carried on/in the trailer. So if you have a 6,000-pound truck pulling a 1,500-pound trailer carrying a 4,000-pound boat, then you need a weighted tag because the combined weight (11,500 pounds) is more than 9,000 pounds.
If the towed load is heavier than 10,000 pounds a class A drivers license is required. For towing less, a class C license is fine.
For more specific questions, contact the N.C. Department of Motor Vehicles through its website here: https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/contact/
garyhopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:18 AM   #46

My thought, who cares if it makes sense, they say do it then do it. Even though I’m not from Alabama, any new info is good info. Thanks waybeck2018
sunnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:12 PM   #47

Garyhoop: I agree with all except, my NC driver's license, a class C license, states on the back that I can tow up to a GVRW of 26,000#'s. No class A license needed unless over 26,000#'s.
There was the class A requirement several years ago. Not now.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:53 PM   #48

Alabama has always tried to pull stuff like this... esp on out of state drivers.

A number of years ago when into SETRA (offroad motorcycle race) they would stop every enclosed trailer that did not have a license plate (no plate required on personal trailers in TN) and harass the driver that they must have a plate. They really harassed those that had any logos (stickers) on the trailer as they claimed was commercial use. Right, it is commercial use by me that I paid for my Honda bike at retail and the Honda sticker on my trailer... I only heard those getting tickets that had commercial gear (lawn gear) in their trailer. Lesson is to take the work gear out before you put the play gear in...
privateer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:17 PM   #49
Who Dares, Wins

If you have a trailer that is enclosed or open and it contains vehicles (dirt bikes in your case) or horses and are going to be participating in an event where you could receive compensation for (even if you do not win) or receive any type of sponsorship of money or goods of any kind you are considered commercial (for commerce). Did not make the rules, just the carrier, so don't kill the messenger... That is just the rules.

And I know people have said above and will say it is the over reaching government and legislation.. That might be a case for the state level but as far as the federal interstate regs (what I described above in a broad manner) is actually decided by a group made up of the federal dot, select state persons who conduct federal inspections, state government and the biggy.. The trucking industry. A lot of regs actually are brought about and removed due to the work of the trucking / commercial industry.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:20 PM   #50
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by privateer View Post
Alabama has always tried to pull stuff like this... esp on out of state drivers.

A number of years ago when into SETRA (offroad motorcycle race) they would stop every enclosed trailer that did not have a license plate (no plate required on personal trailers in TN) and harass the driver that they must have a plate. They really harassed those that had any logos (stickers) on the trailer as they claimed was commercial use. Right, it is commercial use by me that I paid for my Honda bike at retail and the Honda sticker on my trailer... I only heard those getting tickets that had commercial gear (lawn gear) in their trailer. Lesson is to take the work gear out before you put the play gear in...
We so have law saying that all vehicles, including trailers, need to be tagged... But we have a section that allows for non state vehicles to be legally "registered" to drive in PA IF they are legally registered in the home state. I would bet Alabama has the samething or similar. I'd stop and have stopped tons of vehicles missing rear tags, sometimes they are not from our of state and often they are just not registered or stolen. It's not harrashing, it's doing ones job.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 02-19-2019, 09:28 PM   #51
waybeck2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackseven View Post
. Like most laws in the south, I get where it's going, but the state has the burden to prove you were towing your race car to the track for an event, or just test and tune. LEO's couldn't care less about investigating whether or not you were just going fishing, or keeping records for a purse. Like they're going to follow you down there, and check who won and what registration they had as they were leaving. Those are the people who should be Jailed for fraud waste and abuse.

I live just over the border south of Samson, AL. Have an F-350 Dually that I use to pull my TT. Around here you get pulled over and scaled if you're towing commercial equipment with your 3/4 or 1 ton truck without the right weighted registration by FHP and AL State Police. I see this happen all the time on 331, and the fines are impressive.

The affidavit should just be a commercial use affidavit. Busy bodies were involved in this legislation (and they should be removed from office...)
I agree with you . Our corrupt legislators in Alabama are always looking for ways to pad their pockets. We had a governor and a strongman legislator recently convicted of fraud, etc. If they give me a piece of paper to dissuade the law for free I am going to carry it.

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:06 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
We so have law saying that all vehicles, including trailers, need to be tagged... But we have a section that allows for non state vehicles to be legally "registered" to drive in PA IF they are legally registered in the home state. I would bet Alabama has the samething or similar. I'd stop and have stopped tons of vehicles missing rear tags, sometimes they are not from our of state and often they are just not registered or stolen. It's not harrashing, it's doing ones job.
I drive through PA frequently with my unregistered trailers and untagged trailers. Not required to be registered in my home state, so has to be respected in other states... I do carry a license on the enclosed trailer when running out of state as less hassle when going through Ohio - those guys are thorough. None of my boats are titled, including motor or trailer as not required in home state. We do require state registration sticker/numbers on boat - same as in PA or OH - but again, there is no title for the boat. I do have the original bill of sale that had to provide to coast guard once to prove original boat ownership once - homeland security issues with boat origin issues after 9/11. We do have pay once for lifetime trailer license here...
Old 02-20-2019, 06:12 AM   #53
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by privateer View Post
I drive through PA frequently with my unregistered trailers and untagged trailers. Not required to be registered in my home state, so has to be respected in other states... I do carry a license on the enclosed trailer when running out of state as less hassle when going through Ohio - those guys are thorough. None of my boats are titled, including motor or trailer as not required in home state. We do require state registration sticker/numbers on boat - same as in PA or OH - but again, there is no title for the boat. I do have the original bill of sale that had to provide to coast guard once to prove original boat ownership once - homeland security issues with boat origin issues after 9/11. We do have pay once for lifetime trailer license here...
Not a boat guy so I have no idea what PA needs for boats (don't enforce that).

Don't bet that it NEEDS to be respected outside of your state. I get into this conversation all the time about other things (like people who double tow into PA with RVs, not allowed no matter where you come from in PA). But like I said, we have a section to allow you to not have a tag as long as it is legal in your state. This was not always the case and prior to this time (it was a long time ago, like the 70s) ALL vehicles in this state needed to display a tag. If it did not you could receive a ticket for not displaying a tag,which is odd if you do not need one.. But that was how it was.

This is one of the only spots in our code where we allow out of state vehicles to "violate" our law. Another is our inspection process but all other equipment requirements apply (tint, lights, tires, chains on trailers....).

But it sounds like, at least for the box trailer, you just put the plate on it to avoid the hassle which is often the best way to go.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 02-20-2019, 08:23 AM   #54

Doc73 Idea! All 50 states DOT regulations the same based on federal guidelines. Have a fed regulatory agency similar to the FAA to set these rules, laws. I don't like any more government than needed but seems to me the foundation is already there and just needs some tweaking. The there needs to be a flow sheet for us smaller trucks. Start here....if this go here.....etc. That would help us all follow the laws more correctly. Another thing, and this is for the OEM's, the weight sticker on the door should include the GCVW. Wonder what your thoughts are on this?
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:52 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinfever97 View Post
Doc73 Idea! All 50 states DOT regulations the same based on federal guidelines. Have a fed regulatory agency similar to the FAA to set these rules, laws. I don't like any more government than needed but seems to me the foundation is already there and just needs some tweaking. The there needs to be a flow sheet for us smaller trucks. Start here....if this go here.....etc. That would help us all follow the laws more correctly. Another thing, and this is for the OEM's, the weight sticker on the door should include the GCVW. Wonder what your thoughts are on this?
there will still need to be exceptions due to local conditions.

for example, i can tow a larger trailer in ohio with less in brakes than i would dare do in a state like Montana with mountains.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:11 AM   #56
Who Dares, Wins

The idea is good, and I sometimes agree that there should be a more standard law, but there are way too many variables to get this in place. I am amazed at how different laws are from state to state, heck even within our state Philadelphia can make and follow laws that no one else in PA can enforce or make. BUT with some states, CA, who do not allow anything without permission and take many basic rights away from the citizens to a NH where they pretty much get to be free it will never happen. Back when the feds / Canada and Mexico established the what WE know as the federal regs they were able to get by most of these issues. I do not think we will ever get to that point, especially now as the states are even more polar opposite in some cases with each other and the federal government.

There is some guidance to how states SHOULD make certain laws or post signage on roadways that are strongly recommended but in the ed the states still have the power to do as they choose within the US constitution.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 02-20-2019, 11:14 AM   #57
Who Dares, Wins

I am not sure how a GCWR will help you if on the door. 90% of vehicles will run out of the "payload" or their GVWR long before they will ever run out of GCWR. Some states may hold more weight to a GCWR but here it is more about the GVWR, registered GVWR Axle load, and tire loads.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB

Tags
alabama