Old 03-31-2016, 08:26 AM   #31

Synthetic Lasts Forever

Synthetic doesn't break down like regular oil. They've done tests with big rigs and run 1,000,000 miles without an oil change. They changed the filters often. I change my oil once a year whether it needs it or not. I've been doing it for years on all my vehicles and never have had an engine problem.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:43 AM   #32

Syn Oil last for ever ???
I would not bet my engine on that !!!

Old 03-31-2016, 09:17 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmith2859 View Post
How about a cold air intake? Worth the money?
We had a cold air intake on our 2002 Ram 4x4. The previous owners put it on the truck and the kits are not cheap. It was annoyingly noisy to us and really had no benefits. We were getting 8-9 MPG running empty with the cold air intake. The advertising states a 3-4 MPG increase in MPG.

It looks pretty under the hood. If you want to pay the bucks for a throaty sounding engine, go for it. If you want a quiet enjoyable ride, definitely not worth it. Especially so, if you are working the engine on and RV or TV. We saw no improvement in HP, MPG increase, or performance. Others may argue the point. Having been there and done that, I will never be convince otherwise.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:29 AM   #34

Quote:
Syn Oil last for ever ???
I would not bet my engine on that !!!
For testing purposes by the oil companies and others, there have been extensive tests at very extended oil change intervals. I know of a company that sells an oil decontamination machine to outfits like bus companies, and garbage collection companies, that eliminates the need to actually change engine oil. It filters the oil in-engine overnight, like your liver filters your blood, then returns the engine into service.

Not using synthetic oil and not extending oil change intervals is a waste of resources and money.

1 year or 10,000 miles has been my change interval for at least the last 10 years using full synthetic...

I run it in my farm tractor, lawn mower, and every engine I own.
I am coming up on 1 year and 10,000 on my current tow vehicle, a 5.2l Dodge engine with 198K miles on it and it does not burn or leak as much as 1/2 quart every 3,000 miles. Been on synthetic oil since 2001.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:16 PM   #35
Camp Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
We had a cold air intake on our 2002 Ram 4x4. The previous owners put it on the truck and the kits are not cheap. It was annoyingly noisy to us and really had no benefits. We were getting 8-9 MPG running empty with the cold air intake. The advertising states a 3-4 MPG increase in MPG.

It looks pretty under the hood. If you want to pay the bucks for a throaty sounding engine, go for it. If you want a quiet enjoyable ride, definitely not worth it. Especially so, if you are working the engine on and RV or TV. We saw no improvement in HP, MPG increase, or performance. Others may argue the point. Having been there and done that, I will never be convince otherwise.
I am thinking that I am just gonna put a K & N in the air box and call it good. Its a lot of money to spend on a few possible HP.

2015: 7 Trips, 20 Nights Camped
2016: 7 Trips, 23 Nights Camped
2017: 5 Trips, 15 Nights Camped (so far)
stevensmith2859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:46 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmith2859 View Post
I am thinking that I am just gonna put a K & N in the air box and call it good. Its a lot of money to spend on a few possible HP.
K&N is what we had.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:24 AM   #37

I have heard that K & N is bad deal,,, IF they are not cleaned properly !!!
Old 04-01-2016, 08:37 AM   #38

K&N not good for dust

I purchased a K&N filter for my Jeep diesel. When I read the directions, it said it wasn't good for dusty conditions. I live in Albuquerque, and it is dusty from March to June in a good year. Just drove through a dust storm on the way back from Lake Powell. The K&N is still sitting on the shelf in the garage.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:46 AM   #39
Camp Bartender

Fortunately, back east, we dont have very much dust

2015: 7 Trips, 20 Nights Camped
2016: 7 Trips, 23 Nights Camped
2017: 5 Trips, 15 Nights Camped (so far)
stevensmith2859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:58 AM   #40
Tinkerer and Putterer

We have run synthetic in multiple engines and vehicles over the last 20 years. Royal Purple, Amsoil, and Mobil 1. Ran an F150 with a 5.0L to 300K until we swapped in a stroker motor. On tear down it didn't have a groove at the top of the cylinder. The fellow that bought the core honed the block, swapped the bearings and cam, swapped in his cylinder heads and went racing with it in his mustang. To my knowledge the engine is still alive and kicking to this day.

Ran synthetic in an S10 with a 4.3 known for coking problems in the EGR system. Never had a problem with carbon buildup but that one was totaled before 100K so I can't talk about longevity there.

I also ran synthetic in 406 and 350 small blocks in two different trucks. When I sold them they had less than a 10% drop in cylinder pressure across the cylinders (like new).

Currently I am running synthetic in the RV and two volvos. Both volvos are turbos and are known for carbon build up due to high temp degradation of oils. There isn't any carbon buildup to date and one currently has over 150K on the engine with no loss of cylinder pressure, or slop in the turbo bearings and a nice golden color in the block. Most used Volvos I look at have a dark red to brown color in the block and evidence of carbon build up in the block and on the oil cap.

I change the oil on the turbo cars and the RV every year or 10K miles whichever comes first and normally aspirated engines I change at every 15K miles or every year whichever comes first. All this being said I have never really seen a temperature drop from using synthetic and the fuel mileage gain has always been negligible. I suspect that any mileage gain would be due to a drop in oil viscosity and not due to the oil being synthetic. I have always run the recommended viscosity oil in my vehicles which is probably why I haven't seen a mileage change.

If I owned a DP or diesel pickup I would be testing the oil yearly or every 10K instead of changing it. When you're talking 5 gallons of oil in an oil change oil tests start to make financial sense.