Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2015, 08:30 PM   #1
MCTroy

Almost ready to hit the road

So after almost 25 years of camping, DH and I are almost ready for our longest road trip yet. We spend every summer on a site and just take a short trip each spring. This fall we are going to Ashville.

Thanks to the forum, we have our power surge protector, new tires on the TT and know the route we will take from Ohio to NC. The only thing left to do get the TV ready. Our 2011 Ram, 5.7 gas 3/4 ton max cab needs new tires. The C load Firestones aren't to be trusted on a longer tow. We like Goodyear tires but can't decide if we should upgrade to E load or stay with C. (I have been told D load don't exist for our tire size.)

We tow a 2015 Windjammer 3029. Dry weight about 7400, loaded about 8500 pounds. just 2 of us and a couple big dogs but I don't pack light! C load tires would give handle almost 12,000. I think we will be about 9000 - 9500. I hate to give up the ride by going to E load.

Am I pushing the max on the C load too close? Love having this group to air out these issues. Love DH, but he knows how to put air in the tires and considers round to be good enough!

Thanks camping buddies!
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:29 PM   #2

Try the E rated tires if they have them for your Dodge and dealer allows additional weight and pressure on current wheels, Costs of replacing wheels and tires might be prohibitive. I'm surprised it doesn't have e rated from factory. Tire pressures might be hard to get correct and don't want to mess up any warranty that might be there yet. Given choice I will always buy Michelin ltx E due to longevity, quiet good ride on last 3/4 ton. But the Kelly discover E tires that came on current truck are nearly as quiet with more agggresive tread for messy weather. The E rated tires at proper pressure provide additional stability when loaded as heavy as yours and mine you will notice it right away in better handling when loaded. It will ride harsher when you have no load true no getting away from that. It will be interesting what dealer tells you as changing tire sizes with all the technology nothing is simple
updhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 05:53 AM   #3
MCTroy

Unfortunately our ram/ dodge dealer has terrible server so we aren't buying our tires there but we do trust the store we are working with. I need to check the rims. Current tires run at 70psi so I think we are ok but will check.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:00 AM   #4

Yep, I would bump up to the E rated tire although if this truck is a daily driver when at home you will definitely feel a stiffer ride. Although just bumping up from a P tire to an LT tire in any size is a great help.
My TV is an F150 with E tires And pulls my wagon real well.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 08:07 AM   #5
MCTroy

I should have mentioned we have LT tires on the Ram now. Also, this truck has a light load setting for the TPMS. We can lower the PSI and that helps on the ride some. The truck doesn't ride bad when not towing and is really smooth with the W or boat behind it.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:25 PM   #6

I had "C" tires on a Suburban. Sides walls were too weak and the trailer tended to "wallow" the tow vehicle. I went to Michelin LTX E rated tires and problem went away. Did ride harder.
RubberNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 05:57 PM   #7

Didn't realize you already had lt tires that were rated for 70lb. Sounds like you wouldn't be increasing load then with E rated tires giving tire dealer credibility. If you can find the Michelin ltx E rated at a reasonable price. I thought they were the best, lasting many years and would buy today if needed. I leave the current tires on my truck as they are performing well and nice if in a suddenly muddy camp site. Enjoy your trip, we have never taken long one over 300 miles with tt behind. The stability especially in windy roads will probably make the harsher ride worth it.
updhaul is offline   Reply With Quote