Old 01-17-2014, 04:54 PM   #11
cogito ergo moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goomph View Post
Isn't Aluminum very expensive, especially compared to the steel sheets they normally use ? If the price of the trucks goes up considerably then any gas savings will be completely negated. Am I thinking wrong ?
Aluminum itself isn't that much more than steel. However, its tougher to stamp out with quality results, so that's why most automakers have shunned it. Jaguar (which was owned by Ford for a while) came up with a specific alloy that forms almost like steel. I bet Ford kept that info when they sold Jaguar.

Tim

Rallies Attended:
Cowracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goomph View Post
Isn't Aluminum very expensive, especially compared to the steel sheets they normally use ? If the price of the trucks goes up considerably then any gas savings will be completely negated. Am I thinking wrong ?

They will most likely keep the "package" price down. Where it will hurt is when the body panels need to be replaced after a collision. Ford already has sky high prices on some of their door shell assemblies. So most likely expect insurance rates to go up.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:14 PM   #13

Some parts have been aluminum for years. My 99 F150 had an aluminum hood. On my 07 Expedition the hood and rear hatch are made of aluminum. My biggest concern is that they get the paint to stick to it properly.

2011 Prime Time Tracer 3000BHS
2007 Ford Expedition
Reese Dual Cam HP Hitch
Nights Camped 2015-5 in TT
DF5.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:58 PM   #14

A full aluminum body with a good clear coat would be nice looking and save some weight.

Still needs a 6.2 under the hood.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:04 PM   #15
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
If aluminum is good enough for Boeing, it ought to be good enough for Ford.

we have already had aluminum engines, aluminum driveshafts, aluminum transmission cases, aluminum bumpers, aluminum brake rotors/drums and on and on.

Aluminum body don't scare me none.

Tim
Actually Boeing doesn't consider aluminum to be good enough anymore considering new technology that is now available to them.

By that I mean that the new Boeing 787 Dreamliner's primary structure is composed of 50% composite material that's lighter,stronger and more corrosion resistance than aluminum.

Does this mean aluminum won't be used in aircraft structure anymore? Probably not in the foreseeable future,but probably eventually it won't.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:36 PM   #16
Oklahoma Proud

We've been discussing this at work recently. I work for the second largest auto group in oklahoma in one of there collision centers.
As stated before expect premiums and repair costs to go up, and heres why.
#1 panels will cost more
#2 availability will be very low for parts a while, since there will be no interchanges, no aftermarket, and no used for some time.
#3 most collision shops are not set up to handle aluminum panel replacement ( weld on panels and rails) of course we've been bolting panels on for years)
#4 the few shops that are set up to handle these repairs will be backlogged, so your rental will probably run out
#5 as a tech, you are suppose to have a completely separate set of tools, for aluminum only repairs. So there wont be many techs wanting to spend the money to do this very quickly.
#6 aluminum has more if a memory than steel, and in the alloys that auto makers use, the metal will only bend once, after that it cracks or tears. So very hard or impossible to fix little dents- more full body panel replacements.

Also as to paint sticking????- all metal sided rvs have paint sticking to them. Also Ford hoods since 2004 have been aluminum, 2014 chevy/ gmc hoods, all Acadia, traverse, enclave, and the list goes on and on have had aluminum hoods for years. If the metal is etched, chemically or manually (sanded, scuffed) than paint will adhere if prepped properly.
It will be intrestig to see for sure, im not looking forward to where we are headed in the automotive world, but with 30-40 years before retiring ( if ever) ill have to change too or get out!!!
Old 01-18-2014, 12:08 AM   #17

700 pounds doesn't sound like a big deal to me. That's the same weight as a couple fat girlfriends...The road salt in my neck of the woods will burn through that aluminum even faster than a Yugo fender...All in all I'm not going to wait in line for one. I'm thinking composite would have been a much better choice.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:14 AM   #18

Miller time- I'm in the business also and agree with what you say. We won't bore these nice people with what we both know, but I'm sure you and I probably have some great stories!

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:19 AM   #19

Corrosivity depends on the alloy, as does the amount of work required to get paint to stick. So far Ford has done me a better job than either of the other 2, so I'll be a customer again in a few years. I'll let them get the bugs out, first... a couple of model years down the pike and I'll be ready to trade the '11 model in...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:50 AM   #20
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
I bet Ford kept that info when they sold Jaguar.
Apparently not:

Windsor company saves Ford $30M on aluminum F-150 - Windsor - CBC News

)
kandl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f150