Old 02-21-2015, 10:02 AM   #21
You are right on the edge with that one. If you have to do it make sure that you have good LT rated tires all around, the truck and trailer brakes are really good and really work, and you travel pretty light. I would also look at upgrading your transmission and oil coolers and putting good heavy duty shocks on the back of the truck.

I suspect getting the sway dialed out is going to be your biggest problem, there are a lot of good threads here and on other sites in dealing with it.

MickeyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 12:00 PM   #22
Originally Posted by jcnobile View Post
Now,we are planning this summer to go to Bradford county. It's up toward New York. I know there is mountains on the way. This could be the test or what I'm considering proof for my dw(this means dear not dumb right?)for a 3/4 ton. The only bad thing is I really love my truck, Im kinda funny (an_l)with my vehicles. I'm driving myself nuts looking at trucks. I'm a ford guy sorry , but I don't like the 6.0 diesel heard too many nightmares. Also I'm not rich either. Sometimes I think I have too much time thinking about this.

Gotta be honest, I think that trip will be a little rough on your TV. I know the area well from I-80 to Bradford... And it's not a good stretch of road for even the best TV/TT setup. The section of RT 219 will really challenge your tranny. Lots of twists, turns, hills, and combos of all three. To be honest, I stay away from the routes near the Allegheny Nat. Forest as much as possible.

If you're considering upgrading and have the means, I think it's a no-brainer to do sooner rather than later. Not saying your truck isn't up to the task, but once you get off the primary highways of PA, it get be a tough state to tow through.

On a side note... What's up with the lack of campgrounds around York? Bringing my son and daughter to a summer camp there this summer and was surprised to find my choices were limited. I think I found Ben Franklin was the only modern campground within 20-30 min. I ended up booking at Hershey Park Campground for the week.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L
KDHfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:28 AM   #23
What's the GVWR (max loaded weight) on your trailer? Use that against your trucks factory rated towing capacity to see if you're within limits. For tongue rating, take 15% of your trailer's GVWR and see if it's less than 900.

Unlikely you will actually reach GVWR on your trailer but it's a good guidepost. Being a student pilot, I like to build in margins for safety, even if I know I won't be at the limits. So even if you're not max loading your trailer it can just be a good practice to use those numbers to guide your decision to be on the safe side.
Backcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:31 AM   #24
We had a 6000 pound TT and pulled it with a Tundra, which could pull 10,000 pounds, which was fine and we could have gone higher. I'm not a numbers person but it sounds like you are very close (:
Jo, Elliott, Cloey & Zoey (Havanese sisters)
Georgetown 2014 328TS; 2010 Toyota Corolla
JoanneL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:59 AM   #25
The Busted Wrench
Am I gonna regret this

I have a 2014 Silverado 1500 and always felt pretty safe pulling our 25' Mallard that came in right around 5500 loaded. I have the Reese dual cam wd/sc hitch setup with 1200 lb bars. Now, we've stepped up to our 274rk that is claimed to be 7700 lbs before our cargo is added (6900 dry). I know that my truck is rated for 9600 lbs but would never push it to that. We only tow here in Michigan and I know I'm pushing close to my max limits so for me, for now, I'll just take my time and try it this year to see how it works. We only camp maybe 6 times a year and usually only go about 150-200 miles max, from home. The truck is a lease so worse come to worse it will get a 3/4 ton when this lease is up.
ChevyTech77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:23 AM   #26
max towing

i have a 2007 chevy 1500 5.3 and i tow a hyperlite 27hfs which weighs 6400 dry, my trucks towing capacity is 7600. i must admit that reading the posts here i almost bought a smaller and lighter trailer, i'm glad i didnt, i load 4 dirtbikes in the back which weight is about 700lbs plus gear, i dont have water in any tanks, i have an equalizer 4 point 1000lb, 10,000 lb. hitch set up perfect and i tow the trailer at 65 mph. with no problem and can tow it 70mph if needed, i only get 7.7 miles per gallon but i am very pleased at how good my 1/2 ton tows it and how good it handles.
jantrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 06:13 PM   #27
I think you're fine

My first full size pickup was a '97 F-150 (like you) with the 4.6 motor. I pulled a 27' Kit fifth wheel with it. While it did labor up some hills (like coming out of Vantage toward Ellensburg in Washington state where nearly everybody pulling a trailer is well below the speed limit) it worked just fine if I didn't keep my foot to the floor and drove in the same 4500 rpm range.

You have the 5.4 so I see no problems.

Originally Posted by mlangdn View Post
MY TV for last year was a 97 F150 with the 4.6 V8. However, the engine was a rebuilt Jasper engine with a lot of power. Yes, it screamed going up the steep grades if I wanted to maintain speed, but I just let it slow. 4400 rpm makes a bit of noise when I'm listening to the radio. On every trip I took, I was overweight, but by no more than 300 lbs.

All that said, the truck was up to the task. No problems starting or stopping. But the transmission has 283,000, and I just wanted to get an F250 Diesel - its in my sig.

With the F250, I don't realize a big jump in payload, but I can nearly pull the face off a mountain. The payload is smaller because I have nearly option known to man. I also wanted creature comforts. However, its plenty and I have room to upgrade if I want.

I never had a "white knuckle" event with the F150. It did its job.

I should have added that the overload was in payload - not the trailer or tow capacity.
sfsgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:00 PM   #28
Ford C-Max Hybrid and Demco Kar Kaddy 3

Is anyone using a C-Max as a toad on the Demco Kar Kaddy 3? If so, where did you place the hold-down chains under the car?

Meli and Mike Martin
2015 Sunseeker 3010DS

quiltedtrout is offline   Reply With Quote