Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2019, 04:13 PM   #1

Exclamation Am I over my max weight on trailer?

Hello All,

A few weight questions...

1. Can someone tell me how much cargo I am carrying in my truck?
2. Can someone tell me how much cargo I am carrying in my trailer?
3. Am I over my trailer max? If so how much? (I think I am)

Trailer: Rockwood Ultra Lite 2906 WS
Truck: 2500 Ram 6.7 diesel

Here is the truck side door:

Here is the cat scale with just the truck:
(me, wife, cat and cargo as we would tow)

Here are the trailer side stickers:

The trailer has a full fresh water tank. grey and black are empty.

The tires are E rated 80psi. (changed earlier in the year)

Here is the final cat scale weight with truck and trailer:

Thinking if I am over max trailer I shouldn't be carrying full fresh water tank.

Thanks for helping me figure it out.

James
2012 Ram 2500HD 6.7L Cummins
Equal-i-zer 4 Point Hitch
stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 04:39 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Your Rockwood should have another sticker on it with tire size, Inflation and GAWR numbers.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 04:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Your Rockwood should have another sticker on it with tire size, Inflation and GAWR numbers.
I was able to edit the original post and add in that image. Here it is for convenience. Thank you!

The tires have been changed out back in Feb with E rated tires. The 65psi don't apply on that other part...

James
Old 12-08-2019, 05:17 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormer View Post
I was able to edit the original post and add in that image. Here it is for convenience. Thank you!
The tires have been changed out back in Feb with E rated tires. The 65psi don't apply on that other part...
James

OK that helps. Your trailer is rated at 4,000 per axle and that assumes a perfect 50/50 split between axles and perfect end to end load split of 50/50. Neither of these are reasonable. So with a scale reading of 7860 I would bet that one or more tire is overloaded as you have less than 2% margin to be split between axles and end to end.

As a minimum you need to get back on a truck scale with only one axle on a pad to find out which axle is heaviest and by how much.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Old 12-08-2019, 05:43 PM   #5

Quote:
OK that helps. Your trailer is rated at 4,000 per axle and that assumes a perfect 50/50 split between axles and perfect end to end load split of 50/50. Neither of these are reasonable. So with a scale reading of 7860 I would bet that one or more tire is overloaded as you have less than 2% margin to be split between axles and end to end.

As a minimum you need to get back on a truck scale with only one axle on a pad to find out which axle is heaviest and by how much.
Pretty sure you meant one axle could be overloaded. The OP changed to E load tires but even the original D tires can handle 4500-5000 pounds per pair.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:54 PM   #6

[QUOTE=stormer;2234535]Hello All,

What truck do you have? Is it a Crew Cab? Long or short bed? 4x4? also is it a Tradesman, SLT Laramie or what model is it?
Cummins0867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 05:55 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Pretty sure you meant one axle could be overloaded. The OP changed to E load tires but even the original D tires can handle 4500-5000 pounds per pair.

Yop. Could still have an overloaded tire depending on his inflation pressure but less likely.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:02 PM   #8

Quote:

James

If your replacement tires are ST225/75R15 LRE the certification label is still correct because both the LRD & LRE tires carry identical loads at 65 PSI. Anything between 65 PSI and 80 PSI is optional.

The D shown at the end of the tire size on the placard is not part of it's size designation. It's a error almost all trailer manufacturer's have made on vehicle certification labels in the past and will probably continue until the load index numbering system becomes official.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Hello All,

Here is the truck side door:

Here is the cat scale with just the truck:
(me, wife, cat and cargo as we would tow)

Here are the trailer side stickers:

The trailer has a full fresh water tank. grey and black are empty.

The tires are E rated 80psi. (changed earlier in the year)

Here is the final cat scale weight with truck and trailer:

Thinking if I am over max trailer I shouldn't be carrying full fresh water tank.

Thanks for helping me figure it out.

James
This read-out from the scales kind of leaves you in the "twilight zone". It's very important when you're that close to maximum total load (8000#) on the axles to know what each individual axle is actually carrying.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:13 PM   #10

[QUOTE=Cummins0867;2234578]
Quote:
Hello All,

What truck do you have? Is it a Crew Cab? Long or short bed? 4x4? also is it a Tradesman, SLT Laramie or what model is it?
Pretty sure my truck is good to go. A lookup via VIN:

2012 RAM 2500 LARAMIE CREW CAB 4X4 8' BOX
6-Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
MAX PAYLOAD 2145.00LBS
MAX TOWING 12400.0LBS

The truck also has air bags installed on rear via dealer.

James
Old 12-08-2019, 06:20 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
If your replacement tires are ST225/75R15 LRE the certification label is still correct because both the LRD & LRE tires carry identical loads at 65 PSI. Anything between 65 PSI and 80 PSI is optional.

The D shown at the end of the tire size on the placard is not part of it's size designation. It's a error almost all trailer manufacturer's have made on vehicle certification labels in the past and will probably continue until the load index numbering system becomes official.

Load Index has been part of the Tire & Rim Association specs at least since 2010. How is that not "Official"? Thought you alwaysed defered to the published regulations.

RE tire capacity. Unknown as the OP did not provide actual tire inflation. BUT no matter what the tire capacity the axle capacity is still 4,000# unless or until he re-engineers the axle, springs, hubs, frame and the mounting hardware as we don't know the design or mfg details of all those components. Tires may or may not have been the weakest link.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Yop. Could still have an overloaded tire depending on his inflation pressure but less likely.
80 psi cold. Towing today, they averaged 85-88 psi going down the road.

James
Old 12-08-2019, 06:36 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Quote:
80 psi cold. Towing today, they averaged 85-88 psi going down the road.

James

OK so tires may not be overloaded. You did check the max inflation rating of the wheels didn't you?
Old 12-08-2019, 06:47 PM   #14
REL

Heavy truck at 9280 un hitched....GVWR per the sticker is 9600? What are you carrying besides you, the wife, and the cat?
That leaves only 300 for tounge weight?

Trailer axles are at 7860 almost maxed.

Tounge weight appears to be 1360. TW is difference in the weight of the truck hitched and un hitched.

Looks like your way over on the truck at 10,640.

Cargo. Tounge weight+ axle weight - dry weigh
1360+7860-7306=1914

By the looks of the numbers I would also assume the trucks rear is squatting a bit and is light in the front.

Over GVWR on the truck.
Close on trailer axles
Close on trucks rear axle.

Anyone...correct me if I'm wrong...I may be missing something.
REL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 06:48 PM   #15

The short answer:
1. Can someone tell me how much cargo I am carrying in my truck? You are 320lbs under the Gross Vehicle weight Rating GVWR
2. Can someone tell me how much cargo I am carrying in my trailer? About 500lbs once hooked to the truck.
3. Am I over my trailer max? If so how much? (I think I am) No, your under by 955lbs.

Truck
Your first weight ticket shows 5200 steer axle and 4080 on the drive axle combined of 9280. Your truck GVWR is 9600lbs so your under by 320lbs. This is without towing your trailer.

Trailer
Your trailer Dry weight sticker shows 7306lbs this along with the max cargo weight of 1549lbs is a gross trailer weight of 8855. According to the weigh ticket it shows your trailer axle at 7860 which means that your under by 995lbs on your trailer. It does not matter how much is on each axle its both axles combined. Your weakest point is your tires and if you added E rated tires to the trailer and run them at 80psi your good to go. As it’s the combined of all 4 tires and they are at least 3000lbs a piece which gives you 12K in capacity which is well over your trailer capacity.

Truck and trailer combined:
Once you hook your trailer up to the truck you have to go by your trucks GCWR Gross Combined Weight Rating GCWR. For your model truck with a 3:73 axle ratio your max gross combined weight rating is 20000lbs See page 9 on the Ram Bodybuilder. Many will say that you are ok all the way around because you are under the GCWR of 20K. But if you take your trucks axles weight combined on your second weigh ticket its 10640lbs weight is over the vehicles GVWR of 9600 by 1040lbs (this is the trailer tongue weight that is no longer on the trailer it’s on the truck). Ram says you must meet all weight ratings all the time. If you get pulled over by public safety they will say as long as you meet the GCWR you are good to go.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2012 Ram 2500 bodybuilder.pdf (7.76 MB, 62 views)
Old 12-08-2019, 07:33 PM   #16

Am I over my max weight on trailer?

Yes, you are over the trailer GVWR. Both the axle weight and tongue weight are included in the calculation. The trailer weighs 9220. Truck plus trailer minus truck alone.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 08:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
Yes, you are over the trailer GVWR. Both the axle weight and tongue weight are included in the calculation. The trailer weighs 9220. Truck plus trailer minus truck alone.
I understand what you are saying and it makes sense...kind of....but once the trailer is hitched to the truck....its the truck that is "bearing the weight"....so the weight no longer belongs to the trailer it belongs to the truck. This is where the GCWR comes in. What matters is the second weigh ticket with the trailer axle weight of 7860 comes in. If you think about it.....the tongue weight is never on the trailer......its either on the ground or on the truck (we weigh vehicles by axle weights). Whats important about tongue weight is when properly loading the trailer the weight is distributed properly. This comes into play when the trucks payload is exceeded and some weight needs to be moved to the rear of the trailer to take the weight off the rear of the truck.

I do have a question for the OP @stormer what size are your brakes? Are they 10.5" or are they 12". I ask because I would like to know what the true axle capacity is? Not whats on the sticker the 4K axle limit is due to the tire capacity of the D rated tires that are listed on the sticker.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:20 PM   #18
REL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins0867 View Post
I understand what you are saying and it makes sense...kind of....but once the trailer is hitched to the truck....its the truck that is "bearing the weight"....so the weight no longer belongs to the trailer it belongs to the truck. This is where the GCWR comes in. What matters is the second weigh ticket with the trailer axle weight of 7860 comes in. If you think about it.....the tongue weight is never on the trailer......its either on the ground or on the truck (we weigh vehicles by axle weights). Whats important about tongue weight is when properly loading the trailer the weight is distributed properly. This comes into play when the trucks payload is exceeded and some weight needs to be moved to the rear of the trailer to take the weight off the rear of the truck.

I do have a question for the OP @stormer what size are your brakes? Are they 10.5" or are they 12". I ask because I would like to know what the true axle capacity is? Not whats on the sticker the 4K axle limit is due to the tire capacity of the D rated tires that are listed on the sticker.
I know he asked about the trailer but
Everyone is missing that the truck is about 1000 lbs overweight?
REL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 08:45 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by REL View Post
I know he asked about the trailer but
Everyone is missing that the truck is about 1000 lbs overweight?
Yes sir, that's what I was referencing a in my last paragraph in post number 15 above about what Ram says that you must meet all weight recommendations all the time...mainly for warranty purposes. Once the the trailer is hooked up the GVWR of the truck (9600lbs is out the window and no longer applies he just can't exceed the axle weight rating for his truck 5500 steer and 6010 drive axle)....its the Gross combined weight rating GCWR comes into play (in this case its 20,000lbs for his truck/trailer combined). This what I was told by a guy that tows and delivers RVs for a living and he deals with the Public Safety Officers (the guys and girls that work at the Weigh stations along our Interstates across the Country). Ram will tell you he's over the GVWR and he is by 1,040lbs....if it applies.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:47 PM   #20

Quote:
OK so tires may not be overloaded. You did check the max inflation rating of the wheels didn't you?
Tireman,

max inflation rating. No. I just inflate to 80psi cold and have TPM to alert if they go under 72. I don't think over inflating is anything I have ever done in my life. ha. But maybe you are talking about if going down a hot road?

Thanks for the input!

James

Tags
trailer, weight