Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2016, 10:36 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtp82 View Post
So we just bought a 2005 F-350, because we purchased a 5th wheel and the 1500 laughed at the thought of towing it. It took me abut 3 weeks to find 2 trucks within the price range that we were looking. My wife loved the one that was 4 hours away, because it has camo rain guards, but the other one that was 3 hours away was a better options package and had 100,000 less miles on it. I was able to work a better trade deal with the closer one and that made that cash price the same.

I asked the dealer about ANY mechanical issues with the truck, as I wasn't going to drive 3 hours to test drive. The word from him was the truck was in great condition. So we made it up there test drove the truck in town, wasn't very long as I was not familiar with the area. Signed the As-Is paperwork and off on the road home we went.

On the way home we noticed an intermittent vibration, but thought it was related to the dealer disclosed issue of the exhaust loose on the turbo. After being home a few days and on my off day, I took the truck in to have the vibration looked at. The only loose exhaust I could find was the tailpipe. The looked the front end over and over, took it out for several drives and 5 hrs later, can't seem to find the source. They did however find that the front brakes are shot, rotors are bad and while we're at it might as well replace the notorious brake lines that seem to degrade. Plus, it needs 6 new tires, which I knew.

Estimate: $1400 tires, $1000 for front end brakes. I'll add this to my list

I take the truck to a Ford dealer yesterday to hopefully find the source of the vibration and to also try and figure out why my Tow/Haul switch isn't working. I tell them to take a close look at the wheel bearing. They report back to me that the front end looks great and can't seem to find what is causing the vibration that I am feeling. It never vibrated for them. They said to start with replacing the front tires (1 has a broken radial and the other is 'chopped') and see if that helps. And the gear shifter needs replaced to fix the Tow/Haul problem.

Estimate: $380 gear shifter.

Lesson being learned, buy from a dealer and not a car lot, so I can hopefully have some faith in what I am buying. I would have probably been better off driving an extra hour for the rain guards.
I had a 2006 F-350, 6.0, a 2008 F-350 6.4 and a 2012 F-350 6.7. I never really kept them long enough to have any issues but the 6.0 has a bad, bad reputation. I hope yours have already been fixed. Also, I never let the dealers align the front end or replace tires. We have a company on the west coast called Les Schwab that, in my long, long experience, does a much better job and at much lower price.
sfsgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 02:30 AM   #22

emtp82, I bought a 2006 F250 King Ranch 6.0 last year. Best riding, looking, and pulling truck I've ever owned. I've spent about 5K having turbo rebuilt, oil cooler replaced, and EGR delete. Also tuner with 40hp added. I paid $2,500 for a maintenance agreement, but guess what? I didn't read the fine print. It didn't cover a penny of it! It hurt me in the wallet, but I wouldn't trade this truck for anything. Once you get your issues resolved, I think you will be very happy with your truck.
Rugman1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:51 AM   #23

I also have an 06 F350 dually for pulling our CC.

The 6.0 is not as bad as it's reputation has given it. But it has some design flaws that need to be addressed to make it reliable, The issue is if they get addressed properly and the PO did not abuse it then they are fine.

If you follow the links others have provided to Powerstroke.org you will find everything you need to know. Read the sticky posts they put up in the general 6.0 section first.

I would suggest you get also an Oasis report from a Ford dealer. This will show what has been replaced under warranty only. However you will know if things like the STC fitting has been addressed as example. Usually this along with say the FICM go under warranty it seems. But point being it will show what Ford replaced.

Problem with dealers saying this or that has been bullet[proofed is it means nothing. It is such a general term anymore. Unless they provide receipts.

You will see the first thing everyone will tell you is put a monitor on it. Get whichever one you want...and Edge CTS or whatever...I use an Edge. You need to know and monitor the obvious. The delta of the oil and water temps. This will tell you alot. Also the other obvious stuff like IPR parameters..FICM voltage..EGR temps etc etc.

Because if you have issues the first question people will ask is what are such and such parameters on your monitor.

Now I know several local Ford mechanics who are independent and they love the 6.0...way more than the 6.4. They dog on the 6.4 more...although I am not familiar with the 6.4. But they all say if you address the issues it is a very good truck with great towing power.

True the list seems huge ( oil cooler, EGR cooler, FICM, SCT fitting, Standpipes and o-rings...and a few others) but by now I bet most has been done. So your list may be short. Once done though they will run as well and as reliable as anything else. Oh and make sure you address the coolant...big cause of cooler failures.

However it is not like the old 7.3 in it's ability to be abused as far as maintenance and still run.

I paid 22k ( 2 years ago with 100K miles) for my 06 F350 CC long bed FX4 Lariat dually with Tow Boss package. It was well maintained by the PO and never had to have any coolers done. I did them proactively but they were actually still fine when we took em out.

Put 3800.00 into it so far ( both coolers, Turbo rebuild, updated turbo lines, Standpipes, O-rings, Mishi radiator and a few other things). Runs like a champ and is the highest rated towing capacity in 06. So...for 27K I'm fine...sure can't afford a new 6.7 and around here 7.3's are too old and rusted. Heck I'll drop another 4K into studs and gaskets and still not complain I just don't need them yet...but I'm going to soon.

Last..both mechanics I used said just be cautious running tunes. Both recommended tranny tunes only. I run a tranny tune only. I want reliability not more power.
shughey00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:02 AM   #24
Camp Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtp82 View Post
So we just bought a 2005 F-350, because we purchased a 5th wheel and the 1500 laughed at the thought of towing it. It took me abut 3 weeks to find 2 trucks within the price range that we were looking. My wife loved the one that was 4 hours away, because it has camo rain guards, but the other one that was 3 hours away was a better options package and had 100,000 less miles on it. I was able to work a better trade deal with the closer one and that made that cash price the same.

I asked the dealer about ANY mechanical issues with the truck, as I wasn't going to drive 3 hours to test drive. The word from him was the truck was in great condition. So we made it up there test drove the truck in town, wasn't very long as I was not familiar with the area. Signed the As-Is paperwork and off on the road home we went.

On the way home we noticed an intermittent vibration, but thought it was related to the dealer disclosed issue of the exhaust loose on the turbo. After being home a few days and on my off day, I took the truck in to have the vibration looked at. The only loose exhaust I could find was the tailpipe. The looked the front end over and over, took it out for several drives and 5 hrs later, can't seem to find the source. They did however find that the front brakes are shot, rotors are bad and while we're at it might as well replace the notorious brake lines that seem to degrade. Plus, it needs 6 new tires, which I knew.

Estimate: $1400 tires, $1000 for front end brakes. I'll add this to my list

I take the truck to a Ford dealer yesterday to hopefully find the source of the vibration and to also try and figure out why my Tow/Haul switch isn't working. I tell them to take a close look at the wheel bearing. They report back to me that the front end looks great and can't seem to find what is causing the vibration that I am feeling. It never vibrated for them. They said to start with replacing the front tires (1 has a broken radial and the other is 'chopped') and see if that helps. And the gear shifter needs replaced to fix the Tow/Haul problem.

Estimate: $380 gear shifter.

Lesson being learned, buy from a dealer and not a car lot, so I can hopefully have some faith in what I am buying. I would have probably been better off driving an extra hour for the rain guards.
Been there with an Avalanche that my wife and I just traded in. We were taken on it, finally had to get out from under it, crushing us with all of the repair bills.

2015-2018: 20 Trips, 61 Nights Camped
2018: 5 Trips, 15 Nights Camped
2019: 2 Trips, 10 nights so far......
stevensmith2859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:26 AM   #25
"On the road again"

I bought a 2005 F250 from a Ford dealer in Dallas a couple of years ago and had one of those unexplained "bad feelings" so I purchased the extended warranty. During the two years I owned the truck I had to replace the Turbo, alternator and A/C compressor so the extended warranty paid for itself plus a bit extra (even with the $100 per occurrence deductible).

It was purchased "AS IS" and initially there was a problem with the power steering pump during my test drive. They agreed to fix that if I would pay half of the $1,200 for replacement.

I walked out, but they chased me down and said they'd cover the cost.

Looking back, I probably should have kept walking.

We now have a 2010 F-250 that we've owned since new as well as a new 2015 F-350 purchased new last summer.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 08:18 PM   #26

I'm hoping I'm done with the repairs for a little while. The vibration did reoccur while towing the 5er today. I'm really hoping it's not a major thing. No one can seem to find the source and that kinda sits bad with me.