Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2016, 02:06 PM   #1

And the hits keep on coming

So we just bought a 2005 F-350, because we purchased a 5th wheel and the 1500 laughed at the thought of towing it. It took me abut 3 weeks to find 2 trucks within the price range that we were looking. My wife loved the one that was 4 hours away, because it has camo rain guards, but the other one that was 3 hours away was a better options package and had 100,000 less miles on it. I was able to work a better trade deal with the closer one and that made that cash price the same.

I asked the dealer about ANY mechanical issues with the truck, as I wasn't going to drive 3 hours to test drive. The word from him was the truck was in great condition. So we made it up there test drove the truck in town, wasn't very long as I was not familiar with the area. Signed the As-Is paperwork and off on the road home we went.

On the way home we noticed an intermittent vibration, but thought it was related to the dealer disclosed issue of the exhaust loose on the turbo. After being home a few days and on my off day, I took the truck in to have the vibration looked at. The only loose exhaust I could find was the tailpipe. The looked the front end over and over, took it out for several drives and 5 hrs later, can't seem to find the source. They did however find that the front brakes are shot, rotors are bad and while we're at it might as well replace the notorious brake lines that seem to degrade. Plus, it needs 6 new tires, which I knew.

Estimate: $1400 tires, $1000 for front end brakes. I'll add this to my list

I take the truck to a Ford dealer yesterday to hopefully find the source of the vibration and to also try and figure out why my Tow/Haul switch isn't working. I tell them to take a close look at the wheel bearing. They report back to me that the front end looks great and can't seem to find what is causing the vibration that I am feeling. It never vibrated for them. They said to start with replacing the front tires (1 has a broken radial and the other is 'chopped') and see if that helps. And the gear shifter needs replaced to fix the Tow/Haul problem.

Estimate: $380 gear shifter.

Lesson being learned, buy from a dealer and not a car lot, so I can hopefully have some faith in what I am buying. I would have probably been better off driving an extra hour for the rain guards.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:09 PM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

I guess no warranty (for 30 days lets say) in case stuff creeped up?

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:18 PM   #3

If it has the 6.0PSD, expect the hits to keep coming. Only way I'd ever have a 6.0PSD is if it was STILL a good deal AFTER figuring on spending ~$8K to bullet proof it.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:30 PM   #4

Nope, no warranty on it.

Yes 6.0 L, the common problems with it had supposedly already been addressed. I guess I'll find out.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:38 PM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Tow haul

On one of the web site pertaining to the 2005 350 tow haul not working, fellow said it was a wire broken in the shifter. Replaced wire.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:50 PM   #6

If they were "addressed" with simple replacement parts, you'll continue to have problems. It needs upgrades from factory spec. Here are the most common improvements: Bulletproofing the 6.0L Power Stroke
Old 02-09-2016, 03:04 PM   #7

Thanks dustman. I was told the EGR was replaced as well as the head studs. The others will be added to my list. LOL. I joked with my wife that after I get done replacing everything I plan on replacing, I might not want to trade it in.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtp82 View Post
Thanks dustman. I was told the EGR was replaced as well as the head studs. The others will be added to my list. LOL. I joked with my wife that after I get done replacing everything I plan on replacing, I might not want to trade it in.
Sounds like you're on the right track, then!
Old 02-09-2016, 09:22 PM   #9

Last ford I had, was having a vibration that was hard to find, after spending quite a few $$$ on it, I took it to a front end shop to have them do alignment after replacing tires and the mechanic test drive it after aligning it and said the vibration was from the torque converter, replaced it and no more vibration. After all that I had New brakes and rotors, front end, universal joints, tires, and torque converter. Now this was not a 6.0, it was a 91 f150 with the e4od tranny.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:29 PM   #10

I had a tow/haul button go bad on previous vehicle. Cut wires to switch at base of column, and hooked to a $3 momentary contact switch from Radio Shack I mounted on dash.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:59 PM   #11

As a former super duty owner I had experience with the notorious harmonic vibration at 45 mph. You can google it, there are many people with the same problem. There doesn't seem to be a tried and true remedy. Mine did not start doing it till I went from an 18" wheel to a 17" wheel. It did not bother me too much...guess I got used to it...just tried to avoid the 40-45mph speed range as much as possible.

Overall my 6.0 was a very reliable solid truck. I had mine for 9 years/140,000 miles and only had to change the FICM (about $800). Other than that just maintenance type stuff. I still had the OEM brakes (6mm) when I sold it.

'17 F350 STX 6.7 CCSB
'15 Stealth 2313
stealthWA2313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthWA2313 View Post
As a former super duty owner I had experience with the notorious harmonic vibration at 45 mph. You can google it, there are many people with the same problem. There doesn't seem to be a tried and true remedy. Mine did not start doing it till I went from an 18" wheel to a 17" wheel. It did not bother me too much...guess I got used to it...just tried to avoid the 40-45mph speed range as much as possible.

Overall my 6.0 was a very reliable solid truck. I had mine for 9 years/140,000 miles and only had to change the FICM (about $800). Other than that just maintenance type stuff. I still had the OEM brakes (6mm) when I sold it.
I had the same thing on a 1997 F250. Started doing it when I had new tires put on(one size up and a mild A/T). Had the tires rebalanced- same thing. Tried a set of stock size mild A/T in a different brand- same thing. Put those first 2 sets on other trucks and had no issues. My Stepdad had warned me (my Mom was the original owner of the truck) that if I attempted to use anything other than a stock size VERY much "street" tire I would have issues. He was absolutely correct. Even with a VERY mild A/T, it did the vibration thing and would jerk around violently when towing. Back to a Mastercraft Courser HT- which is about as close as I've ever seen a street tire to a slick- and zero issues. This truck had 16's.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:24 AM   #13

I was glad to see that the bulletproofing link mentioned the bypass oil filter. That is one of the best things you can do with any engine, but especially the 6 liter. Here is another article that talks about the bypass filters - Bypass on F-350
Happy Reading!!
capav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:38 AM   #14

Quote "I would have probably been better off driving an extra hour for the rain guards."
Then you would have owned a truck with 100,000 more miles on it???????????? Even for a diesel, that is 1/3 of its life. You run the risk of getting the short end of a stick from many "dealers" as well. They just have a 90 day warranty instead of a 30 day. Then in the 90 day warranty fine print what's broke mysteriously isin't covered.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:46 AM   #15

There are services you can hire that will do an inspection of the car before you buy it. If the seller will not agree to it, move on. Money well spent IMO if you can not do it yourself.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins TD, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:33 AM   #16

I just spent a month plus, searching for a F-350 also. We are in Florida for the winter, searched within 200 miles or so. Drove several hundred miles, test driving at least 8 trucks. Looked at hundreds online, talked to a lot of idiot salesmen (who were sure I knew nothing), some owners who will always own that "gem" because of the price, and a few really knowledgable humans.
Called Kentucky to speak with the trusted adviser at my home Ford dealership and visited with the adviser here in Florida where I have had oil changes. Each told me "stay away from the 6.0 and 6.4 engines, they will cost you money".
So......we now own a really clean 2001 F-350 CC Dually 7.3 Diesel, 2 wheel drive, with 116,000 one owner miles. Bonus is a 50 gallon electric transfer tank/toolbox. Paid Ford dealership in Jacksonville for multi-point inspection and opinion. CARFAX shows no accidents and 49 service records.
Before we head to Alaska in May, it will get 6 new tires, front end alignment, fuel filter, oil change and a good wax job. Have driven it about 500 miles in a week and like it. Happy campers.
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:37 AM   #17

My local Ford dealer is a joke.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:57 AM   #18

Total Loss, I started with the service writer, asked to speak with his manager. Manager looked the truck over then introduced me to the diesel/tranny tech who invited me to ride with him and afterward drove us into the shop. They actually allowed me in the shop, under the lift, asking questions. Spent about 1 hour there, learned a lot and felt it was well worth the $110.00 charge. I was surprised.
They pointed out a few things they felt needed attention. Found nothing major, urgent.
That info gained me another $500.00 off when I returned to deal with the owner.
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:09 AM   #19
Citrus County, Fl.

Sounds like you got a really nice truck. Hard to beat the older Fords. We have a 2000 F250 that we bought new and has 96,000 on it. Very reliable truck. Hope you enjoy your trip.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 06:50 PM   #20

Yeah there seems to be a common undiagnosed vibration problem in truck forums. I am hoping that is all that it is. I was hoping to avoid the 6.0L as well, we've had them for ambulances and the repair shops make some good money off of them, but it was the only truck that had the towing capacity within the price range that I was looking for.
On a good note, tax return was deposited today, so I got 2 new front tires, had the B&W hitch installed in the bed of the truck and got the truck scheduled for tomorrow to have the front end brake system replaced. Plus, as a bonus, new occurrence of the vibration, I hope I didn't just jinx it.
Hopefully this truck turns into a heck of a workhorse.