Old 01-01-2015, 01:12 PM   #1

Andersen 5th wheel hitch

purchased a toy hauler this summer, switched trucks from a long bed to short bed last week. New truck has 5th wheel rails in already, my hitch stayed in the other truck so my question is do I go with the andersen hitch the way or go with a regular slider hitch. Trailer is 30' loaded with toys 12,000 lbs. Anyone with experience using the andersen hitch would be welcome.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:58 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimpeterson View Post
purchased a toy hauler this summer, switched trucks from a long bed to short bed last week. New truck has 5th wheel rails in already, my hitch stayed in the other truck so my question is do I go with the andersen hitch the way or go with a regular slider hitch. Trailer is 30' loaded with toys 12,000 lbs. Anyone with experience using the andersen hitch would be welcome.
I've been using the Andersen Ultimate hitch since June and I love it. My bed is what GM calls "standard bed" (it's 6' 6" long) and not short or long. The specific trailer makes a difference, too. I recommend you do a search for AndersEn and AndersOn since posters use the two terms about equally. You'll find all Andersen OPINIONS that are already posted here.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 110 / '18 = 0; booked = 28
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:03 PM   #3

Thanks for the info, that is the truck and size that I have, the andersen sure looks like the way to go.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:27 PM   #4

I have been using the Andersen Ultimate since May and I am really impressed with it. I have a 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7 Diesel. I really like the way that it securely connects to the hitch and you don't get a lot of slosh or bucking from the camper. My only issue with it is the additional 3" of up and down with the front landing gear on my fifth wheel. It is slow and just takes some additional time to hook/unhook. That extra time is worth it though when you are wheeling down the highway and the camper is rock solid on the hitch.

I hit a spot on the interstate where it was a downhill right hand turn and in the last 25% of the turn was a horribly dipped transition from old to new highway and the start of a bridge. The truck went through the transition and then when the camper went through, for a second I thought we were done. I feel the hitch helped out greatly for getting the trailer settled back down instead of allowing any additional movement in the hitch.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

2014 Puma 295BHSSOK
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins SRW with
Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection
Boetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:09 AM   #5

I absolutely love mine. No issues thus far except for some reason someone put antiseize on the screws that apply pressure to the block on the pin, they kept loosening up. Cleaned them off, used a little blue loctite, they've been rock solid since.

Among other things, I can set mine out of the bed by myself. Greatly helps doing all of it alone when you don't need help with such things.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:03 PM   #6
Site Team

You saw my positive report above [strike "in your duplicate thread"]. As was said there, there is NO slop or chucking, etc., with this hitch. My b-i-l rode with me on my test pull of my new trailer and couldn't believe how solid and quiet the Andersen Ultimate is compared to the typical 5th wheel hitch in his Ford PowerSmoke.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 110 / '18 = 0; booked = 28
Old 01-02-2015, 03:13 PM   #7

You mentioned you were going from long bed to short bed. If tight turns are something that you might encounter I would think a slider would be a safer option. I looked at the Andersen ultimate and liked it a lot; however I knew that I would be using my fiver in tight situations and opted for a B&W slider so I would lessen my worry about hitting the cab...

9.5 year old FR Cherokee 295 WP 32' toyhauler
2013 Ford F250 SD CC 4X4 4.30 gears
Tuned-- engine, music, and exhaust,
bpadamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 04:27 PM   #8
Site Team

As I said above [strike "in your other thread" since two threads were merged], the specific trailer makes a heap of difference. I have a Wildcat eXtralite w/ what appears to be an extended pin box and rounded front corners. With the Andersen (not a slider) I can jackknife to about 90 without the trailer touching the truck. It wouldn't work with a different trailer.

Sent (I think)

Old 01-02-2015, 09:25 PM   #9

My truck is a short bed and I can fully jack knife it. In fact I turned it completely around in a three street intersection without issue or having to make any extra turns.

The Andersen is set back actually three or four inches, it's just right for mine.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:18 PM   #10

Thanks for the info, I talked to 3 different dealers and they all recommended the Andersen Hitch over a slider. The least expensive was $399, the highest price was $475. I will purchase the Anderson within the month and give it a try.