Old 07-29-2013, 05:52 AM   #1

Andersen hitch, Wow!!

After much internal debate I went ahead and bought the Andersen hitch. Set it up this weekend and took it on a 24 mile test drive. All I can say is WOW! I'm impressed for the short test drive. I want to get some towing time with it before I make my final decision but initial response is very positive.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:44 AM   #2

Looks like a nice set up. I had seen that hitch a while back and was wondering how effective they were.

simplyrwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:41 PM   #3

I really like mine. Last weekend I put my old Eaz lift with two sway bars and took it to SC because I loaned the Andersen to a friend who wanted to try it out on his camper not expecting to take ours anywhere. My wife asked what was wrong with the camper, and when I told her what I did, she said that when we got home she wanted the Andersen mounts welded on so I wouldn't do that again. It is amazing the difference.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:49 PM   #4

This is the second season we've had ours, and we love it. We took a 2800 mile round trip to Glacier a month ago and had absolutely no problems.
keep camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:37 PM   #5
Travel Trailer Newb

You guys have gotten me real excited. After putting a call out for help in another thread for opinions on what WDH to purchase, with zero feedback. I talked to a couple of friends that put me onto the Andersen system and ordered one today. Key factors for me going this route were weight, ease on install, no drilling of my A frame, silence, reduced bounce, ease of hookup and removal, lastly cost.
I hope to get it by the end of the week and will post feedback.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #6

how do you guys feel about the chains pulling the truck backwards and the camper forward? By doing this the ball is no longer pulling on the front of the couple but instead it is being rammed into the locking mechanism for the coupler. I also fear that with enough tension on the chains you will no longer really be pulling it by the ball but by the chains as the ball isn't touching the front of the coupler due to that force...

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:47 PM   #7

Love mine. I have towed with it and have had zero problems. But what I have found is you can't convince the naysayers how effective it is.
uncle46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:06 PM   #8

You will be very pleased with how well it performs. It's like the whole system is locked together.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:07 PM   #9
Travel Trailer Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by avolnek View Post
how do you guys feel about the chains pulling the truck backwards and the camper forward? By doing this the ball is no longer pulling on the front of the couple but instead it is being rammed into the locking mechanism for the coupler. I also fear that with enough tension on the chains you will no longer really be pulling it by the ball but by the chains as the ball isn't touching the front of the coupler due to that force...
I think that's the whole principle of how it works but you're forgetting how the tapered full length ball pin comes into play. I found this YouTube video where Ryan Andersen gives a walk through of how it works.

It's in the first five minutes and I believe will answer you question. I personally feel good about the design.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:49 AM   #10
Travel Trailer Newb

My Andersen WD hitch arrived Thursday afternoon from thehitchstore.com 2 days after ordering (Great purchasing experience BTW, timely notifications for purchase confirmation and shipping). I took inventory and noticed that the black collar that I have seen on all the videos was not there. I gave Andersen a call to ask about it and Dave Andersen promptly called me back explaining that their newer design replaced the collar with a heavy spring clip, so no issues there. I also noted a torque value difference in the bracket hardware from previous version installation PDFs that I read. He assured me that new lower torque was correct.
Friday afternoon got home loaded the trailer up, filled the water tank and drove over to the back side of the local mall a couple miles away to find a nice level area to install the hitch. My wife came along to assist and was a real help taking notes for measurements and just saving me time raising and lowering the tongue jack, helping with the chocks. Anyways 45 minutes and we were done. Trailer level, my F150 now sits 1 inch lower in the rear and only Ĺ higher in the front. Getting it to that point only took me one try from the instructions base setting, finished at 4 threads exposed. We took it for a 5-7 mile ride on the highway and side roads. Iím very happy with the way the truck now drives, makes a hugely noticeable difference in handling. It feels like the truck does unloaded. I canít comment on the quietness as I havenít really driven a conventional WD system in a number of years. I could hear a thing even backing up into our driveway. We are working this Memorial Day weekend, but will be taking the new trailer out next weekend for a shakedown trip up to the Canadian border area. Iím sure it will need a little tweaking.