Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 04:56 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff View Post
I hope he comes on to. I've been in the sway eliminating business for 15 years and for the life of me I can't see how the coupler isn't going to turn on the hitch ball. I see that the hitch ball shaft has brake material that damps it from rotating. I get that. However, that isn't the location of the trailer pivoting unless that hitch ball is locked into that coupler. When the trailer pivots the chain to the side of the pivot will slack unless the coupler is fixed to the hitch ball and pivots the entire shaft.

Watch the video again when they show the top view while turning, it shows what happens quite well, I really dont understand what the misunderstanding was from the beginning of this. I do see the concern that it may not transfer much weight, but I guess need someone to purchase one and run the numbers.

Anyway I am not good at explaining things but here is my attempt at it. The Ball, shaft, and bottom plate are all one assembly when hooked up. the chains tightened from each side of the plate to the trailer make the ball, shaft, bottom plate and trailer a solid connection. Therefore all the pivot action lies between the hitch, brake sleeve, and the shaft of the WHOLE camper assembly. The way the chains are pulled with that bottom plate it is impossible for one side to slack in the turns and eliminating the coupler pivot on the ball. Again if you picture that bottom plate securely attached with the chains, the motion from the trailer gets transfered through the chains to the bottom plate then to the shaft, then that motion/energy is dampened by the bake material surrounding the shaft and hitch resulting is sway dampening.

Hope that made sense,
Andrew

http://rvpdi.com
Old 01-17-2012, 05:37 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andersen Manufacturing View Post
I joined this Forum in hopes to help answer any questions or concerns on the New Andersen Weight Distribution Hitch along with all of Andersen Manufacturings Hitch Products.

The Weight Distribution Hitch comes in one size that fits all. So only 1 Model needed. Unparalleled Sway Control Automatically Adjusts To Your Load. 14,000 lbs GTWR and
1,400 lbs tongue. Weighs only 53 lbs. Easy To Install - No Leverage bars needed. Drop Hitch comes in a 4" or 6" Drop and you can also pick up an additional 2" x 2-5/16" accessory ball if needed. All you have to do is pull one pin and use as a standard 2 5/16" ball mount without Weight Distribution. Comes with TMD "True Motion-Dampening System, and has a patented shock absorber that prevent your vehicle from bouncing like a traditional weight distribution hitch. Because of its
Durability and Strength and much testing on this product Andersen Manufacturing is backing this product with a Lifetime Limited Warranty!
Good to see you here and . Its always good to have a manufacturer's rep who can give us information directly.

To cut to the short of it, there seems to be two items.
  • Please explain how your hitch distributes weight to the front TV axle and the trailer's axles.
  • There seems to be some questions about sway control (see prior posts).

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Old 01-17-2012, 11:07 PM   #33

Sean, the hitch ball is connected to the triangular plate which is holding each of the chains. Each of the chains of course is connected to the brackets on the frame. If both were slack, the trailer could rotate on the ball leaving the triangle in the same position. On the side the trailer turns toward, the distance from the bracket to the edge of the triangle shortens and the chain gains more slack. Of course on the other side the bracket would move further away from the stationary triangle and this chain would loose slack. Now put tension on both chains. When the trailer rotates, the chain on the opposite side of the turn has no slack to loose, so it pulls the triangle and thus rotates the ball. Since the ball is in a friction material, it will try to keep the chain from pulling the triangle and thus keep the trailer closer to being in line.
My problems with the hitch are 1)will the natural spring affect of the tensioned chain plus the nylon bushings allow some sway 2) what keeps the brackets from sliding? Even friction bracket slide. I would prefer to stick with the Equil-I-Zer. Downforce on the brackets does not affect them like strong lateral tension.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:17 AM   #34

Quote:
I joined this Forum in hopes to help answer any questions or concerns on the New Andersen Weight Distribution Hitch along with all of Andersen Manufacturings Hitch Products. ... Because of its
Durability and Strength and much testing on this product Andersen Manufacturing is backing this product with a Lifetime Limited Warranty!
This is perfect timing as I am in the market for a new weight distribution hitch for use with the new trailer. In fact, yours is the 4th brand that I have recently become acquainted with as a result of this forum. I am interested in eliminating sway. While you certainly have an attractive price, does your “No Sway Distribution Hitch” eliminate sway as opposed to controlling sway once it starts? If the product does eliminate sway, do back the claim in a written warranty?

My current weight distribution setup was purchased as a package deal with my first travel trailer several years ago. Over the years as I have changed travel trailers, I always depended upon the trailer dealer to guide me as to whether my weight distribution setup was suitable. In the past with my former trailers, I always ended up using the 4th or 5th link in the chain when connecting the round ell shaped spring bars to the snap-up-brackets. With this new trailer, I am in the 2nd chain link (same link which the dealer connected at delivery). Any link beyond the second is too tight to hook. I purchased the trailer in Alabama and towed it home to Louisiana without incident. I do not feel comfortable with using the 2nd link; hence, I am in the market for a new weight distribution setup.

Since I have been in the market for a new system, I have learned that sway can actually be eliminated.

This looks very much like the setup I currently use.
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2012, 11:43 AM   #35

Questions

Great Questions~ I'm putting together a diagram that shows how a traditional Equalizer Hitch works with the bars and one with Andersen's. It will show how the sway control and the Weight distribution part of it works. I will be posting this shortly.

Best Regards

Andersen Manufacturing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Good to see you here and . Its always good to have a manufacturer's rep who can give us information directly.

To cut to the short of it, there seems to be two items.
  • Please explain how your hitch distributes weight to the front TV axle and the trailer's axles.
  • There seems to be some questions about sway control (see prior posts).
Old 01-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #36
President ProPride, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acableguy06 View Post
Watch the video again when they show the top view while turning, it shows what happens quite well, I really dont understand what the misunderstanding was from the beginning of this. I do see the concern that it may not transfer much weight, but I guess need someone to purchase one and run the numbers.

Anyway I am not good at explaining things but here is my attempt at it. The Ball, shaft, and bottom plate are all one assembly when hooked up. the chains tightened from each side of the plate to the trailer make the ball, shaft, bottom plate and trailer a solid connection. Therefore all the pivot action lies between the hitch, brake sleeve, and the shaft of the WHOLE camper assembly. The way the chains are pulled with that bottom plate it is impossible for one side to slack in the turns and eliminating the coupler pivot on the ball. Again if you picture that bottom plate securely attached with the chains, the motion from the trailer gets transfered through the chains to the bottom plate then to the shaft, then that motion/energy is dampened by the bake material surrounding the shaft and hitch resulting is sway dampening.

Hope that made sense,
Andrew

I understand ALL of this. BUT, what connects the trailer coupler to the hitch ball so that it DOES NOT rotate on the hitch ball? I understand that the hitch ball is connected to the shaft, and the plate, but the hitch ball needs to be turned for the shaft and plate to turn. The coupler is rotating ON the ball, it isn't rotating WITH the ball. ONLY if the hitch ball is captured in the coupler will the hitch ball, shaft and plate turn all as one piece. IF not, the chain on the turn side WILL slack.

If couplers rotated WITH the hitch ball locked into them, there would not be any sway with any hitch. The sway forces would move the entire rear end of the tow vehicle. However, that would make it quite difficult to turn a corner.

-
Old 01-18-2012, 11:49 AM   #37
Site Team

Quote:
Great Questions~ I'm putting together a diagram that shows how a traditional Equalizer Hitch works with the bars and one with Andersen's. It will show how the sway control and the Weight distribution part of it works. I will be posting this shortly.

Best Regards

Andersen Manufacturing
Great! This is what needs to happen. And everyone should benefit from the information being made available.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
Old 01-18-2012, 12:06 PM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wneise View Post
My problems with the hitch are 1)will the natural spring affect of the tensioned chain plus the nylon bushings allow some sway 2) what keeps the brackets from sliding? Even friction bracket slide. I would prefer to stick with the Equil-I-Zer. Downforce on the brackets does not affect them like strong lateral tension.
I agree with your questions. The downforce on Reese/Equalizer would serve to help keep the brackets in place. There has to be severe lateral force working on the brackets in this design.

I can see somewhat how the weight distribution works; it works on the hitch in the same way; except that it is a pull rather than a "twist" (viewed from the side). Question is whether this design can effectively transfer as much weight as the other designs.

This will be interesting. I hope somebody gets one and is able to give a report at some point.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
Old 01-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff View Post
I understand ALL of this. BUT, what connects the trailer coupler to the hitch ball so that it DOES NOT rotate on the hitch ball? I understand that the hitch ball is connected to the shaft, and the plate, but the hitch ball needs to be turned for the shaft and plate to turn. The coupler is rotating ON the ball, it isn't rotating WITH the ball. ONLY if the hitch ball is captured in the coupler will the hitch ball, shaft and plate turn all as one piece. IF not, the chain on the turn side WILL slack.

If couplers rotated WITH the hitch ball locked into them, there would not be any sway with any hitch. The sway forces would move the entire rear end of the tow vehicle. However, that would make it quite difficult to turn a corner.

-
The chains are what "connects" this, the chains pulling on the bottom plate force the ball to rotate with the coupler. If the shaft on the hitch did not rotate the chains would create the truck and trailer to be one unit. There is no physical way the the chains could tolerate that kind of stress while turning and one would pop. Again WATCH the video it is showing exactly what is happening in the turns. Do you see a chain going slack? NO, the chains are forcing the plate to Turn which end result the ball and coupler are "connected" just not mechanically.

http://rvpdi.com
Old 01-18-2012, 04:25 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
... I hope somebody gets one and is able to give a report at some point.
That somebody could be me as I am in the market to purchase a new system as per my previous post.

P. S.

Being from Louisiana, I am curious about the "Acadian" in the name "Acadianbob."

Closed Thread