Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 08:45 AM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenZ View Post
ahhhhh i See now how it distributes weight.
I also see it. Thanks for the video Andersen Hitch guy.

I imagine that the amount of weight distributed will be similar to a spring bar system but would like to see before and after CAT weight sheets.

Andersen Hitch guy - would you do a favor and weigh a truck and RV or similar trailer at a CAT scale so we can see the weights. It would be helpful to counter skeptics (okay - that would be me). The following would be good to see.

Before hitch weights:
TV front axle
TV rear axle
Trailer axles

Hook up hitch to distribute 12-15% of the trailer's weight and reweigh. Attach pdf's of both sheets to this thread.

I know this might be asking a lot but I (and I think others) would like to see the proof that this is distributing the weight accordingly and the CAT sheets are the proof that's in the pudding.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Old 01-21-2012, 11:57 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy

I also see it. Thanks for the video Andersen Hitch guy.

I imagine that the amount of weight distributed will be similar to a spring bar system but would like to see before and after CAT weight sheets.

Andersen Hitch guy - would you do a favor and weigh a truck and RV or similar trailer at a CAT scale so we can see the weights. It would be helpful to counter skeptics (okay - that would be me). The following would be good to see.

Before hitch weights:
TV front axle
TV rear axle
Trailer axles

Hook up hitch to distribute 12-15% of the trailer's weight and reweigh. Attach pdf's of both sheets to this thread.

I know this might be asking a lot but I (and I think others) would like to see the proof that this is distributing the weight accordingly and the CAT sheets are the proof that's in the pudding.
Yes! Sounds great I will get that done this week and post the results. Also our draftsman is still working on the diagram I will post it sometime this week as well.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:02 AM   #53

So when you hook it up and tighten the nut to remove the chain slack are you bottoming out the nut? Or do you torgue it dependent on how much weight you want to transfer? I would think you'd have to torque it to a certain amount each time, no?
Old 01-22-2012, 09:15 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFugate View Post
So when you hook it up and tighten the nut to remove the chain slack are you bottoming out the nut? Or do you torgue it dependent on how much weight you want to transfer? I would think you'd have to torque it to a certain amount each time, no?
Sounded to me they like to see 1/4 inch compression on that bushing.

http://rvpdi.com
Old 01-22-2012, 11:39 AM   #55
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenZ View Post
ahhhhh i See now how it distributes weight.
Yeah, me too! Now just the question of whether those brackets are going to have a hard time staying put with the lateral forces in play.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
Old 01-22-2012, 11:42 AM   #56
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFugate View Post
It was thinking along similar lines. When you go to tighten that nut on the end of the chain, you would certainly want to be consistent as to how much it is tightened each time. Torque wrench? OR? . . .
Red Green coffee mugs
Old 01-22-2012, 12:10 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
It was thinking along similar lines. When you go to tighten that nut on the end of the chain, you would certainly want to be consistent as to how much it is tightened each time. Torque wrench? OR? . . .
Maybe count the number of turns each time ??

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
Old 01-22-2012, 12:19 PM   #58

Don't think it would matter that much. Tightening one chain a little to much will just rotate the bracket/ball combo and put more tension on the opposite chain until both are the same tension. The one thing I think you want to look for is how much do the rear of the TV and the front trailer droop. Both should ne as close to level as possible for proper WD.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:37 PM   #59
Hob

It seems to me, there is a lot of speculation of the adjustments. Tighten it until is compresses about 1/4". That sounds like something my dad would have said when working on the manure spreader. I was raised on a farm and we did a lot of the "about" measuring. I found, after joining the Air Force, close or about only counted in horse shoes and nuclear weapons. That was in the mid 60's, to my way of thinking we are a little more precise than that today.

Hob
Old 01-22-2012, 04:48 PM   #60
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wneise View Post
Don't think it would matter that much. Tightening one chain a little to much will just rotate the bracket/ball combo and put more tension on the opposite chain until both are the same tension. The one thing I think you want to look for is how much do the rear of the TV and the front trailer droop. Both should ne as close to level as possible for proper WD.
I think you are right, but that would be a real pain each time. I could do my Reese with my eyes closed in about 90 seconds. I'm still intrigued with this design though.

Red Green coffee mugs
Closed Thread